Outdated or obsolete tech thread

P1010059.jpg

It runs Rockbox. And is basically a laptop harddisk with 4 recharchable batteries (which I have to replace AGAIN... as they do not hold charge now) and some microtechnology to make it work.
The cool thing is that the harddisk can be interchanged, so any cheap harddisk *(they were expensive back then) works. Comes with a neoprene belt-pouch I forgot to add to the picture.
The headphones were cool back then. Foldable neck headphones. Stayed very well in your ear. they have a volume dial too.
The problem with the Jukebox was of course the harddisk, so you could not run (harddisk crash, required a reboot). Also the RAM (about 2MB) was not enough to hold a complete MP3, so it required 2 spinups to play a song... so the battery life suffered.
it has a line in and line out, and of course a headphone out. Rockbox also unlocked the volume threshold, so you could go deaf by the volume this baby generated. But as many of my recordings had no compression, the extra volume was very welcome.
[doublepost=1452456862,1452456720][/doublepost]@b_o_b: I don't see the any key anywhere... can't press any key....

I had an Archos AV440 until about a month ago when I gave it away ... pretty useless to me now.
I have some real old MP3 players, from when they were a new thing, barely any memory in them.
I have a few Minidisk players still, which I'm keeping as I've still not yet converted my minidisks to MP3 yet.

I've a few old mobiles somewhere, non-smartphone ones.

This old iPaq and MDA ... and a memory card which I consider as outdated, due to that it's only 32Mbytes ... I don't think I could get even a few photos on that thesedays

2przomq.png

Well the Li-ion battery doesn't hold a charge anymore, but my Mini-disc recorder has been rock solid over the last 18 years.

Sharp MDMS702
71GSA84AJ8L.gif

I've got one of these, a Nokia 9000, it let you get on the internet in 1996! Not sure if it still works as the battery has been defective since 2006.
Nokia-9000-Communicator-02.jpg

@Mr_Loon Better remove the battery if you are going to store it for a while. You never know if it starts leaking. And that hardware will go up in price (collectors).

I also had the Archos XS 202, it was cool whit the 20 gb but whit the Discdrive not that good for running

I have an XS 202 too as the screen on the 204 is OLED and is unreadable in anything but darkness so is used for audiobooks at night in bed.

Maybe I should just bit the bullet and get a new mp3 player.

@Mr_Loon Better remove the battery if you are going to store it for a while. You never know if it starts leaking. And that hardware will go up in price (collectors).
Good advice cheers, just had a quick peak on EBay and it looks like they are starting to get a little collectible, sadly mine is rather battered. It would be fun to get it working though.....

I've got one of these, a Nokia 9000, it let you get on the internet in 1996! Not sure if it still works as the battery has been defective since 2006.
View attachment 27729

I have the big brother: E 90 Communicator.
It was actively in use since the microphone broke in early 2015.
00452905-photo-nokia-e90.jpg

Now I have this one: HTC Desire Z
serveimage

With a custom Android 4.4 and without Google and other bloatware it runs pretty decen.
1 Gig RAM would be nice but ok.

It's the fastest one which has a German QWERTZ keyboard.
Also that big black button is an optical mouse/D-PAD.

In November 2015, I had to switch from my Palm Treo 650 to an Android smartphone.
I miss the real keyboard and the simple calendar...

Sadly, in 2015/2016 its pretty tought to find an Only Musik Mp3 Player whit lots of Space and Batterielivetime an bluetooth whitout Smartphone OS..

So i had to get me an Ipod Touch 5,
It isnt bad, its batterie lost long time and some of the IOS Feature are quite usefull such as the integradet Garrageband App which is cool as you can use this whit an adapter to connekt it to your E-Guitarr for a portable Amp whit lots of effekts..

But most of the time its plays my musik over cable or bluetooth..

Hey! I remember the minidisk! I miss that little thing. I used to use the same disk over and over again since it was all I had. I had to record directly from the device itself. I was young and didnt know anything about it. Thanks for the explination of rockbox too btw.

Fiio makes an outstanding line of digital audio players. I use the X1 on a regular basis.

Seems like you ditnt road my post complet:
I ditnt found a Smartphone OS Less Player but i came up whit the I-Touch 5
Its have IOS, but this could be come handy if there are some IOS Only Apps i want..
And my Smartphone is a Galaxy Note 2 so i have the best of booth worlds..

32 gb, up to 40 Hours, Bluetooth, integrated speaker and i can use it to go to the internet at gym..

The Touch isnt bad..
Also it have a build in Camera, which would come handy if i decide to use the Pyra as Smartphone..

Sandisk make a line of cheap and cheerful mp3 players that have a micro SD slot, you can can easily add a 64GB transflash card to up the storage. They don't have bluetooth, but I'm not sure what you want bluetooth for on an mp3 player - transferring music over bluetooth is going to be stupidly slow, although you could be looking for using it with A2DP bluetooth headphones. The players I've been looking at are light enough that you could clip them to your lapel if you're worried about catching the cord on something.

I want bluetooth because its great for Sport:
In Gym the cord is in danger because the moving parts from the mashines
And if i wants to run outside, and its starts to rain, i can put the Player in a waterproof sheat and use waterproof bluetooth headphones (i allready own)..
Also i use to liste to my musik whyle im on the shower, i have a waterproof Bluetooth Speaker while i can put my Ipod outside of the shower..
And i have a Bluetooth adapter on my Hifi in Livingroom so i can easely listen to the musik on my player..
So i dotnt search a player anymore, i think i stick whit my itouch because another player to buy wouldnt make any sense even if the others ditnt have smartphone OS

Down on the 5 way button no longer works on my Archos, wondering if I should order a replacement part (won't arrive until 26th of June from eBay) or call it quits and get a new player.

Gutted as I have already replaced the hard drive and the screen when they failed.

Back