OUYA Review

This is running a slightly customized android… why wouldn't it be able to run android games? They even put a touchpad in the gamepad, it's far from perfect but allows to play games that need touch controls!

EDIT : added some nuances.

Last edited by a moderator:
MY understanding is this, it runs Android underneath and by means of the Ouya UI/Store front - ( and their under lying DRM) etc, it limits you to play only Ouya specific games which can be found in the Ouya store.  They do this to ensure games played on the Ouya are designed for the Ouya and can be played with a controller. And of course to ensure revenue from Ouya games.

As for Android games, they can be played on the Ouya if you side load the Google market place. 

^   The above is my rough understanding and could be completely wrong, but it's what I have gathered.

Well, it has Android running on it, so you can of course run games you already own... it could be a bit awkward to install them, but it should work.

However, it could very well be the case that a lot of normal Android games will see special releases with optimized controls only in the Ouya Store.

If you want to make use of these, you'll probably have to buy them again.

seems to have stirred a bunch of controversy... I will clear up a few things.

the question of will you need to re-purchase android play store apps again if you use the ouya store, the answer is yes, the two are not connected.

You can sideload applications that don't require root access (system partition) without any modification to your device. Rooting would be required to install the actual android play store however.

If you sideload the android play store (root req) on the OUYA, those purchases are tied to your google account, so no you won't need to repurchase those applications.

other application sources (kindle market, slideme, getjar etc etc) don't need root access to install those application distribution points, and applications purchased through those sources won't need repurchased to be installed either. 

And as ED mentioned, sideloading applications is always an option if you have the .apk files already downloaded.

There is nothing "magicial" nor is there anything "devious" about the OUYA, it's just an android device. Just like android on a smartphone, or your PC, or on your pandora. It works basically the same way, the levels of default security and default interface (optimized for controls and 10ft view of the television) is all that is different.

OUYA is just a $100 high powered android device that connects to your television. Think of it as a higher powered beagleboard with the OS preloaded and in a nicer case.

I have swapped phones a couple of times while on android and on each phones 1st boot it asks for your google account details.

After putting those in and visiting the play store I was able to download all of the apps and games I have previously paid for as they are linked to my account (each had purchased next to them in the store)

I'm hoping that the same happens if I set-up my account on OUYA,

That said I have no issue paying again for games that have the new controls added.

this will be great for kids and families that cant afford an xbox/ps3/wiiu
Or for people that just are not serious gamers regardless of income.  It is a fun little android device that should not be taken so seriously.

Or for people that just are not serious gamers regardless of income.  It is a fun little android device that should not be taken so seriously.
I don't think you have to spend bucket loads of money on a PS4 or XB1 to be a serious gamer.

I agree that this will be a nice alternative for gamers with less money to spend.

Plus in my experience kids have more imagination and can still get lots of fun out of a more basic game.

The Ouya is positioned in a new budget gaming segment of the market. It doesn't compete with MS or Sony which are in the high end gaming segment. To say the Ouya will compete with the PS4 or Xbox One is like saying the Ford Taurus competes with a Mazerati because they are both cars.

It's success will lie in those who are willing to forgo power in favor of cost savings (and partly it's openness). If Sony and MS end up squeezing every dollar out of gamers , it might just end up pushing more gamers towards the Ouya.

I don't think you have to spend bucket loads of money on a PS4 or XB1 to be a serious gamer.

I agree that this will be a nice alternative for gamers with less money to spend.

Plus in my experience kids have more imagination and can still get lots of fun out of a more basic game.

Last edited:
@ Ian J..respectfully.  I so disagree.  There are and will be more serious gamers who are willing to spend a few hundred pounds for a PS4 or XBOX1 than are going to buy a OUYA. Tis the nature of the beast.

Many 'serious gamers' are immersed in multiplayer competition albiet sports ,FPS or RPG. Not to forget the price of those games vs. the OUYA pricing and game typing.

Let's not even delve into PC gaming.

I might aree with you that the Wii U is not considered as 'hard core' or serious as the above mentioned consoles but that is another issue I suppose.

It will be interesting to see how much hacking comes into play with the OUYA. That might change the scope a bit.

Last edited:
@ Ian J..respectfully.  I so disagree.  There are and will be more serious gamers who are willing to spend a few hundred pounds for a PS4 or XBOX1 than are going to buy a OUYA. Tis the nature of the beast.

Many 'serious gamers' are immersed in multiplayer competition albiet sports ,FPS or RPG. Not to forget the price of those games vs. the OUYA pricing and game typing.

I might aree with you that the Wii U is not considered as 'hard core' or serious as the above mentioned consoles but that is another issue I suppose.

It will be interesting to see how much hacking comes into play with the OUYA. That might change the scope a bit.
You seem to be equating having enough money to blow on a PS4 with being "serious" about gaming (I think it's funny when people use the term 'serious' when talking about gaming in the first place.  Let's not forget they are, at the end of the day, games.).  I likely won't have the money for a PS4 until long after it's released.  Does that mean I enjoy gaming any less than the next gamer?

Growing up my family didn't have an NES or SNES, but I'll tell you right now I was glued to every display model I saw and played at friends' houses every chance I got.

I just hate this idea that people who don't blow a ton of money on the latest system, CPU/GPU, the latest and greatest brand-new game or whatever, whether by choice or by virtue of not HAVING said money, are somehow second-class citizens in the gaming world and take it less serious (again...  They are GAMES.).

Anyway, end of rant.  I love my Ouya.   :p

And as ED mentioned, sideloading applications is always an option if you have the .apk files already downloaded.
I'm not suggesting anything, but there exist apps which will make backups of installed applications (ie, the apk) which can then be used to reinstall later, should you need to wipe your phone and the google store (or the application itself, more likely) has disappeared.

@ Ian J..respectfully. I so disagree. There are and will be more serious gamers who are willing to spend a few hundred pounds for a PS4 or XBOX1 than are going to buy a OUYA. Tis the nature of the beast.

You seem to be equating having enough money to blow on a PS4 with being "serious" about gaming (I think it's funny when people use the term 'serious' when talking about gaming in the first place. Let's not forget they are, at the end of the day, games.). I likely won't have the money for a PS4 until long after it's released. Does that mean I enjoy gaming any less than the next gamer?

Growing up my family didn't have an NES or SNES, but I'll tell you right now I was glued to every display model I saw and played at friends' houses every chance I got.

I just hate this idea that people who don't blow a ton of money on the latest system, CPU/GPU, the latest and greatest brand-new game or whatever, whether by choice or by virtue of not HAVING said money, are somehow second-class citizens in the gaming world and take it less serious (again... They are GAMES.).

Anyway, end of rant. I love my Ouya. :p
I find it interesting this term serious gamer also.

I think its intent was the opposite end of casual gamer. Professional gamer is something else entirely. So would be hard core gamer. Each of those marketing buzz words that really is just descriptive of the quantity of a person's time playing video games.

Maybe bleeding edge gamer would be more appropriate in this context. Cause you could be a serious or maybe a competitive gamer that just plays a lot of angry birds or something like more retro titles, high score chaser or something.

They are trying to imply the graphics quality or control scheme implies the target gamer audience. I think it does to a certain extent, but I agree the verbiage is all wrong.

You seem to be equating having enough money to blow on a PS4 with being "serious" about gaming (I think it's funny when people use the term 'serious' when talking about gaming in the first place.  Let's not forget they are, at the end of the day, games.).  I likely won't have the money for a PS4 until long after it's released.  Does that mean I enjoy gaming any less than the next gamer?

I just hate this idea that people who don't blow a ton of money on the latest system, CPU/GPU, the latest and greatest brand-new game or whatever, whether by choice or by virtue of not HAVING said money, are somehow second-class citizens in the gaming world and take it less serious (again...  They are GAMES.).

Anyway, end of rant.  I love my Ouya.   :p
I love my OUYA too. Nobody said anything about anyone being a second class citizen here and please do not take it that way. The idea of benig a serious gamer is subjective I suppose. But let me say that I do not think a casual gamer is going to spend hundreds or even thousands of pounds to have the latest and greatest processor,video and audio sound card. Let alone spend over 50 pounds to have the game that demand the highest end console to play it properly. Either that or they are spoiled fools who have to have the latest status video gaming gadget or owe the credit card companies their life in green $$ :wacko:  .  Yes gaming in it's pure from should not be serious but it is very serious to many. Just get into some of these multiplayer EA SPORTS, Battlefield or COD arenas on the XBOX 360,PC or PS3 and one would think it's a matter of life or death !!! :p   :eek:  . Being a serious  gamer has nothing to do with financial status or money spent.Rather it is a state of one's mind... My word --have you ever played Counterstrike on STEAM.??!!..that can be very serious gaming and I venture to say many of those gamers would not even look at an OUYA to play NO BRAKES VALET or games of the like which are numerous on the OUYA console at this time. Also Counterstrike is free .I suppose it still is??. I know it was when I had my STEAM account. A very serious type game indeed. 

Let'not forget the hours of time serious gamers will spend on a game to complete it vs the 1/2>< 1hr or so a day or less the casual gamer will spend.

I hope you see my differentiation here.

Again I believe what Nintendo has attempted to do with the GAMECUBE & WII over the years is a perfect example of trying to appeal to gamer demographics[serious vs casual]. Nintendo tried desperately to shake off the kiddie/casual Mario reputation and attempt to go for the more mature,graphically gross sim type direction of gaming with of course the ever so famous RESIDENT EVIL 4..a landmark ,serious game indeed. ,,,and one that helped the franchise.

rant over ,,,,finally yes. \  Oh well then happy gaming.  ;)

Last edited:
I would of been more interested if they opened the hardware up a little more.. access to GPIOs,I2C, etc...

Back