Overclock Speeds?

The standby-hack runs at 10MHz, if that wasn't a typo from ED. Tbh, running it too low will make battery life worse in the end. Get work done and idle as quickly as possible is the best all-around strategy. If you run apps that constantly need some CPU time like playing music or similar stuff, lowering the clock speed makes sense, though. I've disabled frequency scaling on my N800 and run it at 400MHz all the time. Battery life is still the same and the device is much more responsive.

Yea most people don't realise that.
So isn't there a min for user selectable or is that it, 10Mhz?
I doubt it will make a massive(subjective) difference in battery life personally.

Na-Noo said:
Yea most people don't realise that.
So isn't there a min for user selectable or is that it, 10Mhz?
I doubt it will make a massive(subjective) difference in battery life personally.

I had an old ARM pda (I don't remember what version of ARM intel licensed for the pxa255) that I software over/underclocked, standard clock speed was 400 mhz, highest I got was 530 mhz, lowest was 100 mhz. When I set it to 100mhz it'd be fine for playing mp3s off an sd card for about 30% longer than when I did the same @400 mhz. There will probably be battery life gains, but remember that some things will always take up some juice (LCD backlight is a big one) and so the gains will not be scaled with the clock speed (ie: having the clockspeed halved will NOT double the battery life).

edit: typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine does 865mhz max stable ,anything over and it will lock at some point ,i run at 850mhz all the time.

NearTao said:
I want mine to go to 11!

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/spinal_tap_amps.png

[edit] not sure how to post pictures [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back