Q: Warranty At 800Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm exhausted just from reading through this topic...

I'm speechless.
*5 mins passed*
Okay, partly recovered.

@mali: It's rare to have somebody as straight and open as you. And i think most people (incl. craig) misunderstood you. This text medium leaves a lot of details out. (@craigix: I wont bring my pandora back for warranty if its not Dead-On-Arrival. Period.) That said, i personally wouldnt have hard feelings about sending some big company's product back with "It's dead." even if I might have something to do with its deadness. I have never done so, though. For OpenPandora, it's a different thing, this is a company i really want to see "win".

Regarding overclocking:
I often test the hw i have (after some time just seeing how it runs normally) to see how fast it'll go. Eg. I've tested my puny sempron's maximum clock speed, but I'm not running it OC'd at all at the moment. Analogy: I have tested my cars maximum speed too (i wont tell you where), but I dont normally drive around at ~195 km/h :p
I hope that if somebody just tries out the maximum speed (at default OPP), then sets it back to normal, and goes on with life, then some weeks later something totally unrelated happens (eg. the touchscreen fails, USB port falls out, etc..), they wont be said "you've OC'd it, no warranty". That would feel very unfair. And as far as I see (ED's post), It wont be like that - and thats why I like this company.

I usually only (permanently) overclock stuff that I have very little value for, the warranty is out like 10 years ago and if it dies nobody knows exactly why, at that age electronics could fail for really any reason. Though old Pentiums (<166Mhz) seem to be atleast very heat resistant :p - my friend has run them with no heatsink at all and even when they're like >100C (boil water), they might eventually halt but none has died... ok now this post has gone too offtopic, i'll end it here.

This thread has left me feeling completely empty. I love the Pandora, I love what it can do, and can't wait to get one in my hands.

I've nagged and prodded about the release date, as many others have, and appreciate the community effort that's gone into this, as well as the monetary support of my fellow pre-order brethren. Evidently we all share the same passion for this device, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

What's apparent to me is that this passion can be a double edged sword. Really I have nothing to contribute to this thread that hasn't already been said. I think we're all coming from the same place.

This is more a vent for me.. or a plea..

Devs Please keep on board, keep being passionate about the project, and keep up the good work. Think about the collective appreciation of 4000+ people enjoying your work and not the monetary reward to one man if that helps. Believe me, there's a lot more power in the former.

Fellow Customers[b Please keep supporting the project, and please keep pushing also, but with respect to the efforts and issues facing the Devs and Pandora Team - i.e. workload and time differences

Pandora Team Please follow ED's example of excellent conduct and customer relations, keep us informed, and be completely transparent in all activities - I agree with a former post about the time scales expressed at the start being completely unrealistic. At this point with completion so near, it may be a none issue, but if anything else arises please be honest don't sugarcoat - shitstorms like this will only get worse and more frequent if that isn't the case.

Phawx said:
You could use eFuse's to tell whether the cpu had been overclocked or not.

I doubt the OMAP3530 has that though.

I was reading somewhere that the OMAP chips do have efuse, but not sure if it can be programmed in anyway to check for overclocking.. yet, plus with access to the JTAG a person who knows what they are doing can just reset the switch.. eFuse isn't a permanent fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
not_again_cat.jpg

Could someone LOCK this thing once for all???

Just only missing a poll about that...:p

Great scott! When did this happen, everything was fine when I left work and by this evening I walk in to see utter, cabbage smelling carnage. I'm glad it seems to be over now, in a sense. Anyway, I'm not going to get involved, but I would like to say that I respect most of you guys, and I do mean everyone (although I do have my secret favourites!), and it saddened me to read a lot of these posts. I just hope this can all be washed away like a particularly bad case of diarrhoea, and we can all get back to be the sterling chaps that we are.

I think it's time to put this sideshow to bed.

More intelligent conversation can be found here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52157-frying-an-arm-chip/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back