Overclocking in settings...how high is considered threshold safe?

Delirious17

Still Fresh
I won't bother with any terminal commands but just through the system setting menu (aka I don't want to mess with any voltages)...how high should I go? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You might find that you can't go as high as the slider allows for. Not all CPUs are created equal and overclocking is just a bonus, and all that. :p

I tried Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros. 3 with VirtualBoy advance at 600...laggy and unplayable. 800 playable but still a little laggy. 900 fully playable :)

I'm not worried about draining the battery too bad so that's not a worry for me...

TI (the chip manufacture) rates the cpu safe and stable at 800 mhz. I have an original Moto Droid that has a similar processor from the same company as the pandora and I can overclock my phone to 950 mhz and retain stablity (battery life is another story).

Each chip will have a its own threshold that will be unique. Play around with yours and go as high as you are willing to go. That being said I believe that most developers will try to keep they're programs running smoothly at or below 800 mhz so that everyone has the same quality experience.

Also be aware that not all programs are 100% optimized so what you need now to make it run well may not be what you need 3 months from now.

If your concerned with the lifespan of the processor.. Perhaps switching to the Original NES version of Super Mario 3 or the SNES version Via Super Mario AllStars.. No over clocking needed.. Or is there something super cool with the GBA Version.

Overclocking varies. I can clock to 900MHz without overvolting, but I would guess that with OPP5 I could reach 1GHz+. Haven't tried it, but it's possible.

Overclocking is assumed to be safe - the worst that can happen is a lock-up, and you need to reset. Over Volting is a different matter - for me, OPP5 doesn't seem to give a significant improvement in max speed (maybe a few 10s MHz), so I stick with OPP4. (and OPP4/5 do shorten the lifetime - depends if you intend to be using your panda in 10 years time or not)

In the new HF you dont need to mess around in the terminal there is a nice lil config file to set the limits of the slider including the max OPP to use. im unstable at 1ghz Opp5 but stable at 950 opp4, so its very much down to your chip I think.my original pandora could do 1050 stable.

TI (the chip manufacture) rates the cpu safe and stable at 800 mhz.
No they don't. They rate it as safe at 500Mhz, 600Mhz if you increase the voltage to OPP5 levels, but that will wear out your CPU faster. 800Mhz is the anecdotal safe level found in the community, but by no means a guaranteed thing.

With overclocking you don't so much worry about the frequency, it's the voltage (OPP level). You won't really hurt anything by overclocking high as possible with stock voltage.

Worst that will happen is the unit will freeze up and/or be unstable until the overclocking setting is removed.

850 is the max i can go on opp3 default.

1100 is the max you can reach overall pretty much (using opp5) - which is very nice for psx emulation.

Just to throw some more oil on the fire - I've found that 'stability' is variable :) - I could overclock my units to 1Ghz at OPP4, and run games fine. However the moment I kicked off a Firefox build, it would crash all over the place. I suspect it depends very much on which parts of the hardware you are using. I found that the maximum I could OC to while doing such a build was ~850MHz.

Back