Overclocking Snes

Troy the Great

Still Fresh
I followed the guide on this topic:Here

And started up squidge snes and played Aladin. Got 5-7 fps. Just the same as running the game without the script. I also used the overclocking program: cpu-lcd-ram-tweak_2.0 to overclock my gp2x before starting squidge snes and playing Aladin.I got 5-7 fps that way aswell. Boath script and cpu_speed program I set my proccessor to 165mhz and got the exact same amout of speed as not overclocking at all. What should I do? What should I try now? Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 0 266 0.8
cd /mnt/sd/Emulateurs/SquidgeSNES
./SquidgeSNES.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

this is my script launching SquidgeSNES 266Mhz, squidgesnes being located in /Emulateurs/SquidgeSNES on the SD, and cpu_speed.gpe in the root folder

Simple modify the files paths and the files names according to yours and it should work

Don't forget tu use Unix format ;)

It just works fine for me and I wonder what else you can do if the cpu_speed and squidgesnes files are here and the paths are ok...

BTW, launching cpu_speed before squidgesnes is useless since displaying the menu resets the CPU clock

reiboul posted on Jul 31 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
BTW, launching cpu_speed before squidgesnes is useless since displaying the menu resets the CPU clock

Thanks, I did not know that. But... I have used the same script you gave me to launch squidge snes and It works fine, but it just does not increase the speed, at all. Any help??? Thanks

you need to change his specifications, such as where squidgesnes.gpe is located. Your sd system is different im sure.

If you have the same set-up, is it possible that 'emulateurs' is spelled 'emulators' on your sd?

If not, just copy and paste your code and ill help.

NO, you don't get it the script works fine, the script is perfect, It starts and loads like it's susposed to. But the overclocking does'nt speed up gameplay. Any suggestions?

Troy the Great posted on Jul 31 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
NO, you don't get it the script works fine, the script is perfect, It starts and loads like it's susposed to. But the overclocking does'nt speed up gameplay. Any suggestions?

Paste your script here ... we'll judge it and grade you accordingly.

Troy the Great posted on Jul 31 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
Boath script and cpu_speed program I set my proccessor to 165mhz

Is that a typo? 200mhz is default. I assume you meant 265mhz?

NO, you don't get it the script works fine, the script is perfect, It starts and loads like it's susposed to. But the overclocking does'nt speed up gameplay.

Don't mean to be a jerk, but if the overclocking isn't working, then the script is NOT perfect. Like the others said, just post it so we can help work out what the problem is...

Yeah that was a typo. I meant 265mhz. I will post my script and you can tell me if I am doing somthing wrong. Oh and you were not being a jerk, I shoud have posted my script from the beginning. Thanks so much.

Troy the Great posted on Jul 31 2006 at 03:49 PM said:
I followed the guide on this topic:Here

And started up squidge snes and played Aladin. Got 5-7 fps. Just the same as running the game without the script. I also used the overclocking program: cpu-lcd-ram-tweak_2.0 to overclock my gp2x before starting squidge snes and playing Aladin.I got 5-7 fps that way aswell. Boath script and cpu_speed program I set my proccessor to 165mhz and got the exact same amout of speed as not overclocking at all. What should I do? What should I try now? Thanks so much for your help.
There are various versions of Aladdin on different platforms. Personally, I think the best one is the one on the Megadrive. I have played it right the way through. Works on DrMD full speed.

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/Snes/cpu_speed 1 0 259 0.8
cd /mnt/sd/Snes/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

I have boath squidgesnes.gpe and cpu_speed (no gpe) in the same folder>>> /mnt/sd/Snes/

Troy the Great posted on Aug 2 2006 at 12:00 PM said:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/Snes/cpu_speed 1 0 259 0.8
cd /mnt/sd/Snes/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

I have boath squidgesnes.gpe and cpu_speed (no gpe) in the same folder>>> /mnt/sd/Snes/

Put the cpu_speed in your root ... no need to have it in the same folder (methinks this is your problem) ... here's what I use:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 266 0.6
cd /mnt/sd/squidgesnes/
./squidgesneshack.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Hope this helps :)

I'm having the same problem, I was thinking it had to do with the fact that my cpu tweaker wasnt the old one. I heard this script doesn't work with the newer one.

JyuOH posted on Aug 2 2006 at 01:13 PM said:
I'm having the same problem, I was thinking it had to do with the fact that my cpu tweaker wasnt the old one. I heard this script doesn't work with the newer one.
the new one works fine. It wouldnt matter as the script is still calling upon the cpu tweaker to be executed first :)

Anyway, I think telco is probably right. Were you able to try it out with the tweaker in the root?

ok ... we have to check if the gp is overclocked. To do this, you can pipe the output of cpu_speed to a file ... if the file isn't there or you get no output, there's an error in your script.

alter your script to this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/Snes/
./cpu_speed 1 0 259 0.8 >> output.txt
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

After you run the script, there should be a textfile named output.txt in the Snes folder with this text inside:

Code:
No file found
...set to UPLL-Clockgen...
set Timing-Prescaler = 0
set CPU-Frequency = 259MHz
set gamma = 0.800000

if not ... there's something wrong with your script.

NOTE: You don't have to set the LCD and gama-parameter to overclock your GP ... just use "cpu_speed --cpuclk 259" istead of the old line.

EDIT: I have another solution if you can't get it to work with a normal script. Rename cpu_speed to something with a gpe-ending. Now create a new file called "cpu_speed.cfg" in the same directory where the cpu_speed application is (in this example in the same directory as squidgesnes) and edit this file with unix-lineending. Copy this text into the file:
Code:
	CPU-Clock
	Run
	./squidgesnes.gpe
There has to be no extra line beneath "./squidgesnes.gpe" ... or it won't run.

If you save the file and run the cpu_speed application the program will set the cpu to 259mhz and run the executable (here squidgesnes.gpe) afterwards.

This only works with cpu_speed 2.0.

Back