Overclocking your GP32

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Is overclocking the gp32 hard to do? Does it make emulation a lot faster? Do any of you guys have your gp32 overclocked? When people are talking about how fast an emu is, are they talking about how fast it is on a gp32 that is overclocked? Do you guys recommend overclocking a gp32?

And breathe!

No. Can do. Some. No. Not really... In that order.

OC'ing, so I've seen, is dependant on the program you are running - Normally emulators. Some have the option to OC the unit, but GP32's are not tested over 133(132)MHz as standard... Some units will overclock more, but you can do some serious damage to the GP32 (Much like your PC/GFX Card) if you are not careful! :(

Most programs are designed to run, at best, at 132MHz or slower - I can't see anyone programming any program where you HAVE to risk the life of the unit just to run it! - But it can help in some emulators, hense the option has been programmed in. I have never, and probably won't ever, OC'ed the GP32 as I don't see the point. Everything runs fine (Not including problems with the programs themselves!) on the GP32 without having to push it. :D

LOL. optomizing the code means, getting the person who made the emulator to work on it more, and make it run faster

Its ok. The only thing that will make the emus faster is time and patents...unless the emu isnt being worked on anymore.

Im sure fnes32 will be publicly released soon, so just hang tight. I also hear a new snes emu is comming out. Others too. But I dont play too much of the pc emus or things like that.

Just be careful:
Overclocking your GP32 is NOT a hardware modification!
The processor speed is set by the program you use!

Normally, no program uses anything above 133 MHz (it IS possible to change the speed
to 166 MHz in GPEngine, just don't do that and you're on the safe side!)

The only program that overclocks by default is ScummVM!
That's because the program has been released when no one knew that overclocking can actually
damage your screen!

Just use the scummvm132MHZ.fxe and you're fine :)

No hardware mod, the default is 66MhZ, if it needs to, a program will overclock (safely) to 133MhZ and you can make it more in some progs, but that will usually burn the screen.

Back