overclocking??

neo10060

Still Fresh
I understand a small bit about overclocking. All i know i think is that it has to do with speed, well, i gess i dont know what it is, the only thing m sure of it is bad for your gp32, right? Isnt there a possibility u could screw it up. Please explain overclocking. And if i am willing to take the gamble, (if it is not to risky) then how high should i overclock and how do you overclock??

also, what is the advantage of overclockong and does it make much of a difference?

It won't mess up your GP32. Almost everybody here has tried it and nobody's GP32 has blown up or anything from it. If your unit cannot handle a certain speed it'll just freeze or reboot. No harm done. The advantage of overclocking (OCing) is that it makes things run faster because you increase the clock speed. It makes a great difference. You don't actually overclock the whole unit and then have everything run at that speed. Instead, you do it only in the programs that you want to run at an OCed stated. Some emulators include a clock setting feature in the options while others don't. And for the ones that don't, people hexedit them so that they always run at a specific OCed state (you download the version that is the speed you want to run it at, i.e. snes9xgp 156mhz.zip). When you run the program at the clock setting, only that program is running at that speed, when you exit the program, the GP32 goes back to the normal clock speed.

I hope this cleared things up. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask them.

one guy once claimed that his screen had some weird looking scanlines afte rhe overclocked.. I am not sure if that was directly attributed to it though. anyway I regularly OC to 156 for SNES and no problems yet.

BUT -- big but... it will eat up your batteries faster. OC + a frontlit unit = a big hit on battery time. I think I get like 4-5 hours of play on my rechargeables between the two. I should do some definitive tests...

Yeah, when I play snes9xgp at 160 mhz the scanlines become thicker and more noticeable, but after I start playing for awhile I hardly notice them.

Awhile ago I read somewhere about a program that could tell you to what extent your GP32 could overclock to. Was this just an idea, or a program, because I would love to test mine when it arrives.

Back