Overclocking

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Has anyone done any lengthy experiments with overclocking the A320 yet?

I'm interested in getting a sticky about it on here for future ref.

if i remember correctly A600 posted some pretty in-depth stuff back on gp32x. You might be able to find it on google cache if you need it now, otherwise you could check here or wait for 32x to get back up.

I have a new black dingoo - I use A600's overclock app.

For some reason, it doesn't work properly with some dingoos (and maybe all black dingoos) - you need to employ a tricky workaround. Mine clocks to 400, but not to 430 - works great on neogeo especially. Here's the workaround (plagiarised from Dingo A320 Forum):

Get in 3D menu
Select the overclock application, push A, release A
Push again A (very quickly) and keep it pressed.
Then push B (or left) several time until you get back to the principal menu
Then you have to get in "interesting games", and that's the most tricky moment:
Release A and (as fast as you can) repush it to get in "interesting gammes". Keep A pressed.
Navigate in the menus using left and right on the d-pad, always keeping A pressed.
Select you game/emulator with right on the d-pad, and when finaly on the game, release A.

Cheers
Simon

Edit: you need to repeat this step every time you start a new game too, and it doesn't work with TV out - I'm sure someone will figure out a stable way to do this :)

This is one of the areas we need some organisation on.

Ed is setting up a A320 archive today/tomorrow so we can start there.

I've heard people say "400 but not 430" multiple times now. If 400 isn't a lock for everyone then it probably won't be much below it. I don't think there's going to be a large window of overclocking viability.

My black Dingoo overclocks to 430, but when overclocked, the snes emulator is inconsistent and the sound gets more out of sync and glitchy. It is noticeably much faster though.

Craig is spot on - get some devs on board, and some online support, and some very audible sizzle to go with the steak (which Craig is assisting with, which I'm very pleased to see), and I reckon the Dingoo has a really bright future.

The screen is nice, battery life good, build quality is surprisingly solid and even the rushed emulators work pretty darn well - and you sure can't argue with the price. Get some devs to refine and innovate, and things will improve dramatically, and the momentum will continue to build.

My thoughts so far (and I've only had it for a couple of days - I have 3 GP32s (thanks Craig ;-), a GP2X and just about every other gadget under the sun including lots of Chinese PMPs:

- plays video great - up to par with most Chinese PMPs I have
- neo geo - overclocked to 400, plays smooth at about FS 0-1 - loving Pulstar at the moment :)
- CPS2 FS1 with overclock - nice
- CPS1 plays very well even without overclock
- Megadrive - it plays well at FS0 without overclock, but this is weird - screen tearing/scan lines abound with many games BUT no such problem when played via TV out - some problem with the way the emu writes to the LCD - easily fixable perhaps - or picodrive anyone? :)
- SNES - quite rough - good compatibility but runs fast/slow with overclock - very annoying and rendering many games irritatingly unplayable - small amount of refinement and I reckon it would run brilliantly at just about FS0 with overclock
- GBA - I've seen people rave, but it aint perfect - overclock FS1 works pretty well, but it is certainly not "perfect"
- it even has a pretty good FM radio you can play through the speakers as it doesn't need headphones as an antenna.

I haven't tried NES but I understand it runs extremely well.

All in all - a great device particularly given the bang for the buck - but amazing potential if a scene can get organised and this puppy gets the hype, and resulting momentum, it deserves.

Cheers
Simon

centrlink said:
I have a new black dingoo - I use A600's overclock app.
For some reason, it doesn't work properly with some dingoos (and maybe all black dingoos) - you need to employ a tricky workaround.

Same here. Black dingoo, got it few days ago.

Looks like power management issue. Maybe they improved battery life by being more aggressive with sleeping and setting CPU clock - maybe there is some idle OS thread which underclocks CPU after some window of inactivity.

This would explain that when attached to power overclocking works and also it works when you don't let the system go to sleep by holding buttons. Would be nice to have some overclocking launcher which would set the clock before launching another application. Well it fact it would be nice to have different launcher altogether :) the "3d games" and "interesting games" which goes to raw file manager listing is not very nice. We want icons sorted to categories ;-)

I hope we can get something going too.

Things like this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ry_state0=

Do disappoint me though. There is some real hate directed at me in that thread because I'm trying to give the Dingoo a fair chance.

I can't believe grown men are still at the 'megadrive is better than SNES' style stuff and taking it seriously. 'If you have one you CANNOT like or have another.' just makes no sense at all. The more people and systems we get in to the open scene the better.

Just had a quick look on that thread and I have to say I find it incredibly amusing.

Quite why you'd want to harm the sales of the Wiz when you're selling them yourself I'm not sure; clearly logic isn't something these forum posters hold in high regard.

You've hit the nail on the head though; this is classic 'console war' stuff, just like in the early '90s. These people refuse to see the shortcomings of the machines they've fallen in love with, and then they get angry with you when you point out these faults - despite the fact that you've done more than any other person in the opensource scene to ensure that GPH's machines are half decent.

They'd be looking forward to using a d-pad set of action buttons if it wasn't for your comments to GPH, but then I guess these haters have short memories.

Don't let the douchebags get you down Craig. All they've got to distract themselves from their harsh reality of living in their parents basements is geeking out hard on the internets and criticizing stuff. Take comfort in the fact that they have probably never seen a naked women in the flesh (at least not for free) and suffer terribly from carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive strain injury

Not that I've got anything against geeking out on the internet or anything. And my parents basement is pretty sweet...

Back