Palm Os Garnet Vm

Wegg

Still Fresh
Access created a virtual machine that allows the Palm OS to run on Nokia tablets. From what little I understand about it. . . don't the Nokia tablets have the same Arm/linux core as the upcoming Pandora? Do you think it would be possible to port this same Palm OS virtual Machine to the Pandora?

I'm not a huge fan of Palm but I do love my Tapwave Zodiac. Not only for its awesome/cool games and emulators, but for the fact that it can also take advantage of the roughly 10 bajillion applications created for the Palm OS. It would be tough to give that up. Not that I'd have to throw the Zod away or anything. . . I just would like to boil everything down to 1 unit.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8987/no...-vm-video-demo/

makes a lot of sense actually... I wonder though if we actually need the additional palm software. I mean, there is even more software for debian arm linux, I believe.

Anyways it couldn't hurt to have this. Interesting piece of software.

xnopasaranx said:
makes a lot of sense actually... I wonder though if we actually need the additional palm software. I mean, there is even more software for debian arm linux, I believe.
I find that hard to believe. The Access site claims 30k existing Palm applications, and I don't doubt it. Numbers aside, the key here is that if we had a Palm VM for Pandora, those 30k programs would run as-is. They wouldn't need to be tweaked and re-compiled for the Pandora hardware. While Palm software running in a VM is not going to be as good* as apps developed specifically for Pandora, that would at least give us access to a ton of software right off the bat.

The Nokia N810 is running very similar hardware to Pandora. The OMAP2420 is a bit slower, but the rest of the specs line right up. If Access will supply the source (Their software is called Access Linux Platform, but I don't see anything about open source), a port will not pose much difficulty. It could be the biggest bang-for-the-buck port for Pandora, at least as far as productivity apps goes.

What we need is somebody with the desire and ability to do the port to start asking some questions on their forum.

* By "good" I mean that the software will not take full advantage of the Pandora's large screen, faster processor, or various alternate input methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copilot is a PalmOS emulator for Windows right?

Wouldn't. . . it be cool if the whole ACCESS Linux Platform™ was ported. <drool> Would be a great way for Access to show off their operating system and give all the Pandora game developers a larger audience of potential paying customers by working within their API. Win win for everyone.

Pardon my ignorance but. . . isn't there a big difference between emulation and virtualization of hardware?

Isn't that Wine's big claim to fame? "Not emulation".

Is Garnet on the Nokia just . . . POSE? That would make sense because it appears to only support graffiti 1. Hmm. :blink:

Back