Question About Garnet Virtual Machine...

elinscheid

I did a quick search in the forums and found that people referenced the Palm emulator for Nokia's tablet. I haven't seen information indicating if there is a source code for it. Because if there was, it could be ported to the Pandora, right? There probably isn't... Has anyone thought of contacting Palm to beg them to port the Garnet Virtual Machine software to Pandora? Just a recompile or something? I don't know what I'm talking about obviously.

Any ideas?

Never mind, I did finally find another thread. It indicated it was not open source. Oh well...

I just sent an e-mail to Access through their website asking if they had any intention of porting the software to the Pandora. Hopefully they respond but I won't hold my breath.

there is pose that would allow emulator of palm 4.xx devices....

Edit nvm ... the patch for qpose is not on archive.org

still pose could be ported to run on the pandora they had it on the zarus...

Copilot is opensource.

Garnet itself is not open source and included licenses stuff, so likely never will be; they also sell it and license it out, and with Palm still using it.. you're not going to see source :)

A better question is .. will the Nokia version run on anything else? :)

jeff

Well that's were I get confused. Could we put Maemo on the Pandora and then simply install GVM or would it be looking for specific Nokia hardware and fail to install? The Maemo wiki indicates it's based on Debian... but it also says that some components of the OS are closed source. Hopefully Maemo can be installed on the Pandora with out the closed source stuff.

Thanks for the input.

Installing maemo is not necessary or too good an idea if all you want is running a program compiled for it. It would be much better to replicate the libraries that program depends on (in a chroot) and hope it works.

Back