PanDebian

Observation..

Set up a 2GB loop file, and install fails (repeatedly.)

Set up a 'just less than 4GB file' (due to current SD format being FAT32 which has a 4GB file size limit) and everything is okay.. Deb installs, and takes up something like 800MB (?!, why did the 2GB fail then.. working space?)

So I'd say around 4GB is _plenty_, as I've got about 3GB free after a few installs.

jeff

Using the loop file seems pretty slow; slower than I expected anyway (in slot 2); I don't recall stuckie's extend being this sluggish (for file writes, like massive installs ;) , but I'm on a new device and juggled SDs around, so you never know.

Offhand, does anyone know if the loopback interface versus a straight ext2fs SD is that much of a difference? I'll have to give it a shot .. if its only 5% difference, not worth it alone.. but I'd love a 50% write speedup, this is brutal ;) (32GB class 10 SDs even)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone yet tell me where is the script or file that I would need to use to re-attatch a premade loopfile so that I do not have to recreate this pandebian install again should we all upgrade or reflash our pandora distro?

I made a 2gb loopback and am running OO and Xiphos Bible no problems (about 170mb free on the loopback)

May be the (what i believe to be autogenerated) pnd in:

pandora/apps/

The appdata does not seem to be useful.

May be the (what i believe to be autogenerated) pnd in:

pandora/apps/

The appdata does not seem to be useful.

Found all that. Now where does Angstrom contain the setup for a chroot. All I can find online is for ubuntu. no /etc/schroot/ directory.

What is a "setup for a chroot" ?

The pandebian is self-configured.

If I reflash SuperZaxxon in the future... I will still have the loopback file. I could skip the entire process of recreation and reinstallation of Pandebian if I knew how to setup the chroot and loopback file manually.

I found how to do it in Ubuntu but that wont work in angstrom.

If you have the loopback + the self created .pnd, it should imho be sufficient.

Did anyone get GLES working? I'm fiddling around a bit, and tracing through the layers .. if you want to run say TuxRacer in PanDebian for example .. probably need to install x.prg to get the various conf files; maybe copy in the pvr drivers and even set up the xorg-conf to refer visuals to the pvr drivers.. hrm.. way too much effort :)

Linux-SWAT -- you got it working in your slack.. any steps on getting it working in Deb?

jeff

You mean PanDebian in chroot or on SD ?

If on SD, you have to load some kernel modules and give permissions.

Check Zaxxon's /etc/init.d/pvr-init .

It's invocated as

# /etc/init.d/pvr-init start

PanDebian as a chroot, which is different than your stuff.. but I've not gone through and done end to end setup on GL/GLES drivers, so need to work through it. Any shortcuts, I'll take ;)

For a chroot setup, its a little tricky, since the running X11 id not native to the chroot, so you have to jump through some hoops.

I've not had time to fiddle much yet, but I'll try again .. PanDebian with wortking GLES woudl be rocking; I've got all my dev tools ported over, just had issues tring to bring up any GLES applications (couldn't find matching visuals, that sort of error.) Probably didn't drop the drivers in the right places, etc. (As a chroot, the kernel modules should already be present/etc, but I'm not entirely clear what is all needed, from mesa through to X11 and pvr drivers.. how they tie together.)

jeff

I have not, but thats a good set of search-terms to put together :)

I keep wondering if I need to have a chroot-contained XServer and shut down the native XServer, or if I can get by with 'remoting' to the native one. ie: Is there some permissions problem using a chroot contained gles driver to the GLX extensions in the native XServer? *Shrug*

Will need to fiddle, but alas, I don't get enough time for that lately, mostly a mental exercise with some time to fiddle later :)

Hey, for Pandebian I would like to know if I am the only one who suddenly had an issue with it after a successful installation ?

What happened is that I still got the icon on the top left hand corner but no program would launch anymore and nothing would work (probably some kind of corruption somehow?). Has anyone used Pandebian for a long time without such problems at all ?

Other questions:

- I feel that the PanDebian file is limited to 4gb, right? But is this because of the FAT32 file system ? Can you go over that limit if you use a ext3 or ext4 file system instead?

- How do you mount other drives in Pandebian so that you can load files from the other SD card if needed?

If someone can answer the above questions I can consider re-installing PanDebian again... :)

-Yes, you can have a bigger file with a better filesystem.

-You have a shared folder creation icon, so you can share, at least folders of any other drive.

My PanDebian icon has disappeared a couple of times, no big issues here. Most of the software i have tried works fine. Synaptic doesn't.

Now, regarding mounting drives in PanDebian, you can use PanDebian Share. You should have an icon on your desktop. It gives some general mount options (BOOT, ROOT, or SD) that are enough.

Edit: Linux-Swat already answered!

- How do you mount other drives in Pandebian so that you can load files from the other SD card if needed?

I have to run PanDebian Share each time after restarting PanDebian, try that If you don`t see any files after a reboot

Synaptic doesn't.

If not already done, try LXTerminal -> su -> password ->synaptic,

that works for me

Back