PanDebian

got it. Thanks! Now, when this is all done how do we resetup PanDebian after a firmware update? How would we reconnect the premade loopback file to a new/clean system without starting from scratch?

This was asked previously but I never saw it answered.

You have to take the big image, and probably something in appdata or anywhere else to get back the desktop icon.

It's also possible that you have to keep the same partition name.

Success. I am installing Xiphos and this turned out to be the only solution to get a Linux Bible Program running on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does PanDebian take to install? Which latest Debian works? Still all good, despite being not maintained for awhile?

I always liked stuckie's thing, but I may try this out.. Iv'e not had time to fiddle with Debian on pandora in a year or more, but I really dug it.. want to get it back going again soon :) (1ghz shoudl be here today!)

jeff

About an hour, then CTRL+C when you see the window say "base system installed successfully" in deboowait.

A bout 30 more minutes of configure then I let it go overnight.

Today I have PanDebian running. First thing was to install Thunar and mousepad. Then OpenOffice which took a couple hours.

Now I simply need to figure how to get the PanDebian Share working.

FIXED:

1. Reboot.
  2. Do NOT start PanDebian.
  3. Then run the Share Installer icon.
  4. THEN run PanDebian and I got the request to choose a shared Mount!

So now I have a file "Debian-Squeex.lb" and want to back that up (easy) and have a way to reinstall it maniually so I do not need to go through all this setup again.

Do I simply backup the 2 PanDebian AppData folders? Is there a script that auto runs and places the menu entry in the System menu?

skeezix - we need a Debian task force :)

A month ago I was making my own Debian build from scratch as per Stuckie's pandorawiki page, I even corrected and improved some entries on the wiki. Too bad the wiki got reverted to an older edit :(

Reverted? There was no failure and restore, right? Someone reverted you out? wtf?

The stuckie extends were awesome :) Did you get a Squeeze going in there? Anyone got a working ready to use (just started) PanDebian? :)

I need to sort out wifi, wrestling with this new units wifi .. aaargh :)

jeff

Did you get a Squeeze going in there? Anyone got a working ready to use (just started) PanDebian? :)

I got PanDebian Squeeze going today. Wifi worked great and had no problems once I disabled screenblanking.

Now I am running dd to duplicate my SD card to another matching SD. Man is it SLOOOOOOW!

AFAIK many articles got reverted due to the spam problem and upgrade. If you've updated any recently it's with checking.

How far did I get... I got about halfway through the instructions, yes for squeeze. No working build yet.

Last time I tried pandebian overlay was last year, seemed to work pretty well. From memory it took a while to set up.

OPenGL ES works in pandebian?

Be handy to just apt-get install a bunch of ready to use GLES tools, make testing easier I think.

I don't see an obvious README, but need to suck down PanDebebian from the repo and check if it has a doc link inside; you just feed it an iso for a CD or DVD and it goes from there? Or does this purely use a Debian repo and suck everything down the hard way? :) Guess I'll pull it and see, let it chug all night. I'm exausted, too many long nights, so can't think right now :eek:

edit: Wow, what a nice installer really.. seems to blow up on >2GB files, but the procedure is pretty well done; pick a release, pull it down .. beautiful :)

jeff

How much space is needed (minimum and recommended)?

Currently installing on a FAT32 partition so limited to 4GB.. I'll reformat to ext2fs another day; 2GB blows up and 4even blows up so I went for 3.9GB :)

Hopefully enough to fiddle for a few days.. Or do we realistically need 10GB? (really a plain Deb shouldnt need that much.. Very surprised 2GB was insufficient)

Jeffphone

I'm using a 3GB loopback, don't know about maximum or minimum sizes.

I have installed libreoffice, octave, qtoctave, raster3d and some other packages for testing 3D (libgles1-mesa, libegles2-mesa, mesa-utils, warsow). So far no luck. There are some instructions to get SGX to work in Beagleboard's with Debian. It looks like a kernel recompile and some module building are needed in that case.

http://elinux.org/Be...eo_Acceleration

No need to recompile, grab kernel + modules from Zaxxon.

Thanks for the pointer!

To be honest, i don't know what to do with them. I thought PanDebian was already running on our default kernel and modules. I don't really have any idea or knowledge on how to make PanDebian aware of the 3D hardware capabilities.

Back