pandian - MARK2

What about porting some PNDs to an ordinary debian repository?
Isn't there an issue with soft float vs hard float?  
There is the armel repo and armhf repo, both of which are ordinary debian repos, you could run either, or build for one or the other, actually debian does both, but it doesnt solve that you cant run both at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. That's why my idea was fixing code and recompiling to hard float and then putting it into a HF repo.

However, I don't know how much work this task actually would be.

stackshadow: Any plans on updating the Mark 2 image? I've installed and attempted to aptitude upgrade (not even full-upgrade), and the Pandora spent a few hours trying to solve dependency hell, only for me to kill it off (I'm not going to OK removal of key packages - this is a secondary machine, I can't pour lots of time into it like my workstation). With an uptodate base image I can test this out and hopefully stick with it over the default firmware.

Thanks

At least I had the time to install it to my Pandora: Well done.

Some questions araised, though:

1) there is no vi/vim ?? and it's even not to find in the repo?? really???

2) which is the ebst way to mate the USB start in host mode? (there might be an scenario in which I'd like to have it in the net via USB-Ethernet)

3) seems I can't get networkmanager convinced to use static IPs. (I know how to do it in /etc/network/interfaces) I tried it by selecting the connection and modify it to manual, but it won't save the changes)

At least I had the time to install it to my Pandora: Well done.

Some questions araised, though:

1) there is no vi/vim ?? and it's even not to find in the repo?? really???

2) which is the ebst way to mate the USB start in host mode? (there might be an scenario in which I'd like to have it in the net via USB-Ethernet)

3) seems I can't get networkmanager convinced to use static IPs. (I know how to do it in /etc/network/interfaces) I tried it by selecting the connection and modify it to manual, but it won't save the changes)
  • vim should be there. the package in Debian is vim.
  • not sure but if you don't need the network before you log in, you could add the appropriate command to one of your session initialisation files.
  • I use wicd instead as networkmanager was broken (and may still be broken) in debian sid for a while.

• vim should be there. the package in Debian is vim.
  • not sure but if you don't need the network before you log in, you could add the appropriate command to one of your session initialisation files.
  • I use wicd instead as networkmanager was broken (and may still be broken) in debian sid for a while
1. right. Don't ask me why I couldn't find it in the first run (was aware of vim/vi)

2. idea is to use the old classic device as alarmclock/monitoring device, so I want to have it running without login

3. was thinking about that. Or to set it up in /etc/network/interfaces, but than usb-ethernet must be running before the ifup of eth0..

stackshadow: Any plans on updating the Mark 2 image? I've installed and attempted to aptitude upgrade (not even full-upgrade), and the Pandora spent a few hours trying to solve dependency hell, only for me to kill it off (I'm not going to OK removal of key packages - this is a secondary machine, I can't pour lots of time into it like my workstation). With an uptodate base image I can test this out and hopefully stick with it over the default firmware.

Thanks
Not really, because we change to debain jessie. The debian sid is a little bit tricky.

Thanks for responding - I'll look out for that at some point in the future... back to the default firmware.

? sid? Isn't pandian wheezy at the moment? any way, any idea about the OMD thing?

Stable release is Wheezy, testing release is Jessie, Unstable release is Sid. My guess Pandian is using testing release if I'm not mistaken.

Have to look it up at home, but I'm pretty sure the sources lists says "stable" at the moment. And my guess is that stackshadow is moving to Jessie becaus it's in freeze AFAIK.

Therefor my question.

Well the actual version MARK2 is based on sid. But sid breaks to often for me on the pandora.

Somehow on my desktop-pc it breaks not so often.. but it breaks. Therefore the best solution was to change to testing ( i even changed my desktop-pc to testing, until now, no break ;) ).

Yes, this is my experience as well: testing is very stable, almost as stable as stable. Sid is more risky and requires taking care in updating any package at any time and, even then, things will go wrong.

Well the actual version MARK2 is based on sid. ....
Ah then I remembered incorrectly. I would have thought the sources.list files state "stable".

But that would of cource explain, why the stable sources for the raspi installation didn't work..

And puts me in a need to get a stable debian running on the pandora...

I just lookt up the /et/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list

it says "stable" in the branch part...

Hi,

Is there a plan for a MARK3 based on Jessie ?

I really want to test MARK2 but Debian sid is way too unstable for a everyday use and I don't have time to spend to fix it.

A long time ago, when I first started playing with Pandian, I ran into the following problem:

Specifically, I can download the .7z file for the normal version, the checksums agree and I can extract the image.  I can then use dd to copy the image to a new 16GB SDHC class 10 card.  However, when I have a look at the card, the file systems appear corrupted.  gparted complains about both the fat32 and the ext4 partitions.  E.g. for the latter, it says:

e2label: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

tune2fs [...] No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2

[...] (more of the same with dumpe2fs)
I have figured out what the problem is as I am re-installing pandian on a new SD card.

After copying the image over (dd), ejecting the card and re-inserting it again solves the problem. Previously, I had inserted a card that only had one partition and it seems that Linux doesn't realise that the number of partitions has changed when using dd so the resizing of the partition fails as the device node has not been created (/dev/mmcblk0p2, specifically). Ejecting and re-inserting makes Linux aware of the partitions and the device nodes are created appropriately.

Okay, so I finally got my 64GB card. Decided to play around with various versions of Linux on the Pandora. Started with pandebian but did not like having a separate file system for Debian despite the attraction of having Super Zaxxon available simultaneously. I then tried one of the Debian on SD versions on this forum. Didn't work. Tried gentoo but that didn't work either.

So I'm back to pandian!

I installed from scratch and it didn't work the first time around because I did this:

What ever you do, if you just have installed Pandian freshly, you should start with updating the whole system.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
Do not do this! I ended up with a total mess and the system would not reboot. Well, it would reboot but X wouldn't come up.

The second time, I did an update and then selectively upgraded a few packages, specifically apt, some of the pandian- packages and linux-pandian. However, I didn't install pandian-fluxbox or pandian-lxde. I did install aptitude.

I've got a working Pandian system again and I'm happy.

Oh, one problem that seems to still be here: the keyboard at the login screen (slim, I think) is a German layout. My password has one of z/y and I need to type the other to get the right character. I imagine I can fix this by modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf but I seldom log in as my Pandora is usually running 24/7.

Thanks all!

That's why I mentioned that the sources.list says to use the STABLE repros, which is wrong, whenpandian M2 is based on sid.

In this constllation you try upgrade unstable from the stable repros, which must end up in a mess.

I do llike te aproach of the way Igor Pec does it for the cubox-i /Hummingboard:

http://www.igorpecovnik.com/2014/08/19/cubox-i-hummingboard-debian-sd-image/

He is using the stable debian branch with an up to date kernel(and initramf)

Hello out there,

Hi,

Is there a plan for a MARK3 based on Jessie ?

I really want to test MARK2 but Debian sid is way too unstable for a everyday use and I don't have time to spend to fix it.
my company moved to another city, so there was much stress in the last few weeks.

Actually i start to create a small project plan, to keep the work process transparent.

In short few words: The Testing release of Pandian MARK3 is planned end of February, i think about an testing phase of one month.

Did somebody managed to get the mic working in debian ? ( of course, on the pandora ;) )

Back