Pandora 2.0?

GizmoTheGreen said:
dont forget accelerometers, gyroscope, compass and multitouch!

why not throw in a firewire while youre at it, oh, optical out for sound!
eSATA?

why not build a optical mouse in the bottom of the pandora, NO EXTERNAL MOUSE OR TOUCH NEEDED, JUST SLIDE PANDY AROUND! O_O
why move anything,
let them all come with one of these as standard
http://www.emotiv.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we're goofing off and dreaming but

Messy said:
5" or 6" Capacitive Screen, 1024x600, 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD

stylus don't work well with capacitive screens.
the stylus can't be made in plastic for cheap: they need to conduct electricity from your body while not scratching the screen = +$$$

and the contact point can't be small like a slim stylus, it has to touch a rather large area because capacitive sensors have a lot of noise that needs to be filtered out (1 pixel of contact from a fine-point stylus gets filtered out) and because of that they also have a higher latency than the cheaper resistive touchscreens and higher processing requirements.

I prefer stylus :D

Messy said:
5" or 6" Capacitive Screen, 1024x600, 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
Again with the capacitive screens? Damn you Apple!
There are benefits and drawbacks to both capacitive and resistive screens. With the invention of multi-touch resistive screens, the benefits of a resistive screen will generally outweigh those of capacitive.

Messy said:
Dual SDXC card slots
Technically we already have that. They're only SDHC speed, but they can read SDXC cards.

MWeston said:
DaveC said:
Well yes as I said paint DOES matter and does have a thickness. People think "Oh it is just paint, that shouldn't be thick enough have an effect".
I agree and if Fatih would have kept on them about only painting where they were supposed to instead of slathering it on like a '69 Charger restoration project, it would have been fine. I have three painted case samples and they all went together beautifully. No bowing. No cracking. No noisy face buttons and no goofy shoulder buttons.

No wait...they did get paint in the shoulder buttons but they were supposed to be told about that so it wouldn't happen in production.
I hope the Case Factory spent more accuracy in painting the parts for the upcomming cases. They could cover sensitive areas to be not painted, I'm sure with this the Pandora would fit much better and it eliminates a lot of paint-releated problems. :)
At least I hope that the Shoulder Buttons will work better than the first ones. I don't know if everything there was paint-releated or simply a general design issue. I guess the Shoulders don't have the D-Pad quality at all. ^^""

Gruso said:
Think about the causes of all these issues though.

Shoulder buttons - Drilled out / inconsistent fit because paint affected the tolerances.
Bezel - Most likely cause according to DaveC is paint making it a tighter fit.
Rough styli - Paint.
Case cracks - no conclusive info here, but what are the possibilites? Maybe the plastic compound, maybe an assembly issue, maybe a tiny allowance needs to be made in the mould where the USB port is. Maybe paint/tolerances again? All speculation of course.

They're all real issues, but when you say redesign, you're talking about going back to the drawing board for 6 months. The mere suggestion of that is a great disservice to Dave's design, which is already 99.999% spot on I reckon. It's the process that needs to be refined, and that's exactly what appears to be happening as we speak.

Spotty maybe. I would toss it completely and start over to hopefully produce something less complex that one could afford to pay someone to assemble at a decent pace and price and be much simpler and easier to make the molds for. Maybe drop back and punt even with an aluminum extrusion with key holes punched in the top you slide the keys, cirucuit and battery into and snap on some endcaps screwlessly, a hinge that will stay put with some resistence to it or even a pawl and ratchet, shift the battery about or maybe change the shape of it for better balance, everything can be improved. Could do something even smarter like design it so any idiot could assemble it without losing an eye and sell kits.

Sphinxter said:
I would toss it completely and start over to hopefully produce something less complex
One of the things both Craig and ED have said is that, if they had to do it all over again with the knowledge they have, it would be less complex. Or something like that; I paraphrased from memory. Basically the Pandora is only as awesome and complex as it is because they didn't realize how much of a challenge it would be to get into the business.
Sadly (fortunately!) they didn't have that knowledge to begin with, and it is WAY too late to toss it and start over. To do so would be to simply throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars in R&D, not to mention the million and a half they'd have to refund for the Pandora's they took pre-orders for, million and a half they probably don't have.
No, they're quite stuck with the design.

WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
I would toss it completely and start over to hopefully produce something less complex
One of the things both Craig and ED have said is that, if they had to do it all over again with the knowledge they have, it would be less complex. Or something like that; I paraphrased from memory. Basically the Pandora is only as awesome and complex as it is because they didn't realize how much of a challenge it would be to get into the business.
Sadly (fortunately!) they didn't have that knowledge to begin with, and it is WAY too late to toss it and start over. To do so would be to simply throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars in R&D, not to mention the million and a half they'd have to refund for the Pandora's they took pre-orders for, million and a half they probably don't have.
No, they're quite stuck with the design.

Good advice is something you usually have to ask for. People bought that design, all they have to do is deliver, what refunding. We're discussing the next generation and it's not a matter of able or not, you have to. When things stop evolving they rapidly become extinct. I'd really like to see it swivel like a sharp SL-3200C too but they probably can't afford that either.

.... So after reading this thread, I've come to a conclusion.

You have to stop painting the pandoras.

Honestly, does anyone care about paint?

<_<

Many do, and it can look quite blemished without it. It was only ever painted out of necessity, not for extra fanciness. It should probably be limited to the outer case though (top of lid especially). Definitely nowhere near the inside of the lid or the bezel.

Anyway, they're aware of all this now so all we can do is hope the factory follows the ruddy instructions this time.

I've been thinking about the paint issue and looking at my pandora... I think it might also be the reason that the left side bows up (a larger gap on the left side then the right when closed.) If the hinge is on the right side, that could keep it more secure then the left. Instead of bowing up both sides a small amount, the left side would end up with all the deflection.

I guess we will see when the new units start to ship.

I mean, what practical application does painting any of it even have? Also, wouldn't it be cheaper just to not paint them? :lol:

They only painted them because they couldn't get the nice finish they wanted out of the injection mould. There was blotchiness, and "ghosted" images of the internal structure showing on the outside. You can probably find dozens of items in your house / car that show the same issues if you look inside or underneath.

I'm glad they painted them, but I hope future production runs include a bit of sanding down around the glitchy pressure points of the case ..

Disclaimer: OP and the project are brilliant. Everyone involved are great. The Pandora is a miracle.

I wish it wasn't painted to be honest, because the paint wears off. I'd love a non-painted, transparent case like Ed had though. Pretty.

It doesn't fit right with the paint and it doesn't look right without the paint.

In other words...

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

I'll take a Pandora either way.

Mofokubik said:
It doesn't fit right with the paint and it doesn't look right without the paint.

In other words...

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

I'll take a Pandora either way.

No, you aren't. It's a compromise between fitting and aesthetics. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" does not apply.

SomeGuy99 said:
Disclaimer: OP and the project are brilliant. Everyone involved are great. The Pandora is a miracle.

I wish it wasn't painted to be honest, because the paint wears off. I'd love a non-painted, transparent case like Ed had though. Pretty.

Transparent cases would be great, especially considering that if something DOES go wrong with the unit, you can see it =D

seriously though, would transparent cases just be completely out of the question? >.> maybe the next 2000 could have those. =D

Back