Pandora 2 probability debate

Craig and ED have made it pretty clear that the choices aren't final, you're under no obligation to go through with whatever your choice leads to, they're just trying to get an idea of what people would like to do.

Irrelevant. They aren't giving the details because they haven't worked them out because they don't have all the information.
Again and again (and again): I'm not asking for details. Funny how often one has to repeat that.
Do you definitely want a Pandora, or are you willing to put your money towards a P2?
That question is answered (by me).If there is (more) money to put towards a P2 is one of the questions yet unanswered, and easily answerable, I'd think.

That's the question.
No. The questions are the questions asked, not the questions you pull from somewhere and then believe I'd ask.
There are no additional qualifiers. Based on the known information, would you be willing to wait or not? If your answer is so very dependent on the actual process by which they'd go through with it then the answer is no, you wouldn't be willing to wait.
It should be clear to most by now that I'm not asking for a process. I'm not interested in any process. I just don't care.
There are two types of people: those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
There are two types of people: those that can go from data and end up in a strange world, made up mainly by their imagination.
Sorry, guy, had to be and you started :) . You are a very valuable member of this community, and I estimate your input highly. But my questions are simple and just, and while I'm not unused to being misunderstood for looong threads until someone steps in and at last saves the day by being smart enough to get what that all is about (and, on one occasion, that one was you, and I remember that fondly, even if it didn't lead to a solution), it's also rather tedious to argue and argue against people who think I said something and then rebuke that, leaving me with the nervewrecking job of incessantly redirecting the topic to the issues I indeed said, to avoid getting the communication derailed.

Sometimes, if people don't have the answers (and you don't have the ones I'm looking for, more: you can't have them, except if you're an alias of CraigX and/or ED, which I believe you aren't) they should just step back and leave the answers to the people with answers and thereby reduce the communication noise. Please.

Craig and ED have made it pretty clear that the choices aren't final, you're under no obligation to go through with whatever your choice leads to, they're just trying to get an idea of what people would like to do.
I acknowledge that (even if it wasn't that clear to me, especially since the survey is coupled with order data). But I'm kind of in their situation: I'm trying to get an idea of what C + E are intending to do. When I have a tad more of that, I know what I'd like to do, too.
On the other hand, if you're right, it shouldn't be a problem if a handful of people don't fill out the survey. They should be able to, to quote you, extrapolate from incomplete data.

Since this thread is in the Pandora 2 Spam area, I fill a bit better at posting here than in an official thread where I may just muck up stuff...so here goes:

Bukkit, I respect that you want an official answer to your questions about what will happen with your preorder money if a Pandora2 happens or not.  At this point it just looks like you won't get what you want - an exact, detailed decision on future happening.  I would assume (as many have) that if you do decide to let your money ride, and there is no future product then that money will be lost.  No one will have further incoming revenues to pay you back.  You have to ask yourself, do you want a current version of the Pandora OR are you willing to say bye-bye to your money if there is no Pandora2.

That's the way that I'm reading things here.  If you have a lot of disposable income and don't mind losing the money and gambling on an undecided future product, then go for it - gamble on a P2.  If you relly don't want to risk losing the money, then decide on getting a P1 and either enjoy it when you get it, or sell it.  A P2 may never happen.  The current OP Team as it sits is unsure at this point what the future holds - they're still trying to dig themselves out of debt incurred from the current project.  So I don't think that you're ultimately going to get the answer that you seek - not for a long time and this survey apparently needs to be in soon.

bukkit also said similar things, but let me add more:

I think my earlier post-script still stands: it would be more beneficial to know the real situation, so they can get more accurate view of the end-game. If the case A on my previous post is the actual situation, then those people not willing to wait for a P2 in that scenario would be now able to choose a different option, which would thus give a more accurate picture of the peoples' willingness to upgrade.

Regarding the clearness of finality:
Yes, they did say this survey is to collect info. But (at least from what I've gathered...?) they didn't confirm in any way that this wouldn't finalise the decision. On the contrary, to make it more clear, even the survey has the "submit" button labeled as "Make it final", in addition to the last line on the survey: "By submitting you are agreeing to your order and details being handed over to OpenPandora GmbH for fulfilment."

I for one made the survey choice on the basis that if my choice happens to be equal or higher than the final upgrade price, I will automatically get the upgrade voucher to ED's shop. If my choice is lower, then I will be back on the pre-order queue. Or if I chose to wait for my turn for the regular GC version, they would simply keep me in queue, and eventually send me the unit. Granted, if someone in the end decides to be willing to upgrade for a higher price than what they initially chose on the survey, they are free to do so. Or if someone wants to pull the plug after changing their mind, that is also still possible. But in both cases, they would have to separately make contact for these requests/arrangements.

Disclaimer:
I am not a native English speaker, so I might lose some small nuances on what should be read between the lines, but to me (at the time) it all sounded like this was pretty much confirmation on my part on what they can do with my order. And Craigix's or ED's follow-up posts haven't changed that view. But the discussion among the forum members has undeniably brought some doubt to this matter.

I would assume (as many have) that if you do decide to let your money ride, and there is no future product then that money will be lost. 
I really don't get this... Why automatically assume the worst? I would assume that having reached the point of having decided "no we won't go ahead with a successor after all"  there would still be the option of fulfilling the original order normally.

- Neelix

^  Because maybe it is more pragmatic and practical to "assume the worst" in certain situations (like this one).  We don't have any guarantees so why not be mentally prepared as a consumer?  Maybe it's better to assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised (in a couple of years?) than to be ultimately disappointed.  I'm just trying to help Bukkit make this seemingly agonizing decision.   :rolleyes:

Edit 1:  I didn't "automatically" assume the worst, but after a few days of these queries it appears that Bukkit won't get an "official" explanation.  I have come to this conclusion NOT "automatically".  Not at all.  At this point though, I think that WizardStan is right on this, that maybe extrapolating from incomplete data is probably wise.  Caveat Emptor... and try to answer as best as you can to this survey based upon what you know now - the future is uncertain.  Yes, assume the worst.  now.

Edit 2:  Also, I DID "automatically" think that this option even being on the table was a bad idea.  Craig explained that people asked about it so it was decided to put it on the survey.  I still think that even the idea of carrying over debt to a future product is a bad idea.  Others will undoubtedly disagree with me, or they may just call this a simple survey.  Fine.  Whatever it is, if I were a preorderer with money gone, then I'd attempt to get something for it - sooner rather than later.  I'm just going to "automatically" assume that Bukkit isn't Bill Gates, as he seems to be spending quite a lot of time on the details of this survey...

Last edited by a moderator:
Again and again (and again): I'm not asking for details. Funny how often one has to repeat that.
Then what are these?
- Am I expected to pay the difference between the P1 price I paid and the P2 price?

- Any plans on what happens, in terms of compensation, if there is no P2?
Looks like you asking for details to me, but perhaps we have differing definitions of "details".
That question is answered (by me).

If there is (more) money to put towards a P2 is one of the questions yet unanswered, and easily answerable, I'd think.
Answering a question with a question is not answering the question. It is yes or no (or more specifically, choose an option, same difference).
That's the question.
No. The questions are the questions asked, not the questions you pull from somewhere and then believe I'd ask.
The question on the survey, not the question you asked, is effectively "based on the information we currently have and absolutely no additional information, would you or would you not be willing to wait for a P2 and put your preorder money towards it in some, currently unknown, way with all the potential risks it might come with, or do you want the guaranteed P1?" I didn't "pull it from somewhere", I extrapolated it from the survey and applied it to the situation.
There are two types of people: those that can go from data and end up in a strange world, made up mainly by their imagination.
The quote I posted is a joke. I said "there are two types" and then listed one type. The joke is that there is a second type and if you are in the first category you can figure it out. If you have to ask "what is the second type" then you fall into the second category: "those that can't extrapolate from incomplete data". That is where you fit in: OPT is asking a simple question and you keep asking for more details, details which they have stated they don't have yet and won't come up with until at least all surveys have been answered. They have given you what data they can, extrapolate from that a yes or no answer. It is especially frustrating that you are refusing to do this since there is absolutely no risk to you: if they come up with a plan and you decide you don't like it you are not obligated to go through with it, they've also said multiple times that you are not going to be bound by your decision, it's just a guide to help them make plans, plans which may or may not involve a P2 but they won't know if they want to make those plans unless enough people respond positively to the potential to hold out for a P2.
But my questions are simple and just, and while I'm not unused to being misunderstood for looong threads until someone steps in and at last saves the day by being smart enough to get what that all is about (and, on one occasion, that one was you, and I remember that fondly, even if it didn't lead to a solution), it's also rather tedious to argue and argue against people who think I said something and then rebuke that, leaving me with the nervewrecking job of incessantly redirecting the topic to the issues I indeed said, to avoid getting the communication derailed.
No no, I understand exactly what you want and why you think you want to know, I'm simply telling you that you are wrong in thinking that; you don't have to know in order to answer the survey, you are not bound by the decision, there will be no dire consequences if the final decision isn't exactly what you envisioned; every day that you waste is another day that passes with an incomplete survey, until finally Craig has waited long enough and closes it without your input at all. Your choice: make a decision here and now, or don't answer the survey at all.

Bukkit (and other pre-orders of the P1), if I were you I would go for the P1 and wait *if* the P2 comes to fruition. The information you have right now (imho) doesn't justify backing the P2. It is simply too vague.

No more pre-order qeue agony. this has to stop right here and now.

Keep the finances of the P1 and "P2" separate. I also concur with ekianjo that I would be extremely wary if Craigix would lead the P2 project because of reasons mentioned many times over.

Bukkit, I respect that you want an official answer to your questions about what will happen with your preorder money if a Pandora2 happens or not.  At this point it just looks like you won't get what you want - an exact, detailed decision on future happening.
Thanks for your post, Franko. I have to sigh a little though, sorry. Well, *sigh*.

No. I'm not asking, again, not asking, never asking, and again for good measure, because I only wrote it ten times, for an "exact, detailed decision". Continued below, in the answer to WizardStan.

I'm just trying to help Bukkit make this seemingly agonizing decision.   :rolleyes:
He :) No. it's not too agonizing. I'm just not completing the survey like it is, which doesn't cost me much.

I'm just going to "automatically" assume that Bukkit isn't Bill Gates, as he seems to be spending quite a lot of time on the details of this survey...
Nono, and it's not details, but I appreciate your concern. Well, alright, I'm not Bill Gates. There. I'm just stubborn (and feel like I might be asked for my consent to be nicked, which I happen to dislike).

Then what are these?
Hunh? What are... these details I am not asking for? :blink: Seems impossible to answer. Especially by me.

- Am I expected to pay the difference between the P1 price I paid and the P2 price?

- Any plans on what happens, in terms of compensation, if there is no P2?
Looks like you asking for details to me, but perhaps we have differing definitions of "details".
Most definitely differing definitions. The first question actually derived from the discussion here and is not even mine. I already said I'd be willing to pay, so it's none of my concern. However, it's the concern of other posters in the same situation. Having said that, I'd still maintain: This is not a detail. A question that broad, asking for something as fluffy as an "expectation", easily answerable by "Yes", "No", "I guess": Hardly a detail there.

The second question would be quite as easily answerable by sth along the lines of: "No. We'd try to compensate you somehow. We are not planning to keep your money without at least trying to give you something you might like". Respective: "Yes. Atm we don't believe we can compensate you in case the P2 doesn't happen." Does something like that really, I mean really, look like an impossibly communicateable statement? A state of resolution impossible to be in at this stage? An incredibly detailed masterplan? A reliable prediction of an unknown future?

Well, then. Doesn't to me.

The question on the survey, not the question you asked, is effectively "based on the information we currently have and absolutely no additional information, would you or would you not be willing to wait for a P2 and put your preorder money towards it in some, currently unknown, way with all the potential risks it might come with, or do you want the guaranteed P1?" I didn't "pull it from somewhere", I extrapolated it from the survey and applied it to the situation.
And my answer, still, is: "Without a tiny bit of in my personal opinion easily accessible additional information I see myself unable to answer that survey of yours. You'll either give me this small tidbit on your intentions in that matter or you'll have to make do without my answer."

The quote I posted is a joke. I said "there are two types" and then listed one type. The joke is that there is a second type and if you are in the first category you can figure it out. If you have to ask "what is the second type" then you fall into the second category: "those that can't extrapolate from incomplete data".
The answer I posted was a joke. I said "there are two types" and then listed one type. Then I took it somewhere else. The joke is that it was your joke and then I made it my joke. If you think I don't understand your joke and then explain your joke when I ride your joke in a different direction, then you're in a strange world, made up mainly by your imagination. ;)

It is especially frustrating that you are refusing to do this since there is absolutely no risk to you:
I happen to kinda slightly doubt that. The survey is coupled with my order data, which shouldn't be necessary for a mere survey at all. It could be easily interpreted as a declaration of will to forfeit my money (as most people seem to believe that's going to be the case). And I'm not willing to do that. Good thing is, I don't have to, either.

every day that you waste is another day that passes with an incomplete survey, until finally Craig has waited long enough and closes it without your input at all. Your choice: make a decision here and now, or don't answer the survey at all.
I don't waste anyone's time except mine. I'll either get a tiny bit of additional information or not answer that survey. That decision has been made and communicated weeks ago. Craig can close his survey whenever he likes.

And: Craig has his survey results so far and he has my declaration of a general interest in that option through the sheer existence of this thread. That's not only more than what I seem to get, it's also everything you purport he wants, isn't it?

Ok, so you're afraid to answer the survey. Understood then. You shouldn't be, but there's obviously nothing I can do to change your mind.

Ok, so you're afraid to answer the survey.
Nono. I can handle possible complications, and my readiness to gamble on "waiting for the P2" alone should tell you I don't know any fear. ;)
"Unwilling with the amount of given information" is my state of mind. Just like I'm writing. You shouldn't extrapolate too much from the given data, sometimes, maybe. I know you only want to prod, though. :)

And why are you unwilling without more information?

Because...

It could be easily interpreted as a declaration of will to forfeit my money (as most people seem to believe that's going to be the case).
You are afraid of being locked in somehow and forfeiting your money.
This isn't me living in my own little world as you have suggested, this is me repeating back exactly what you have said and telling you what they mean through logical conclusion. It's not extrapolated, it's concluded.

TL%20DR.gif

Good Gravy....is this STILL going on?....LOL.     :p

I suppose that not answering Craig's survey can't hurt the overall process...but...(see below)

OFFLINE   Craigix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 4548 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Wally, on 30 Apr 2013 - 20:59, said:

Pass what you have onto ED?
Why? Ed has said he does not want the results until it's complete.

==========================================================================================

One wonders what complete really means in this context.  If Bukkit (or others?) holds up the survey, ED might just have to come over there and "kick the Bukkit"...   :eek:   

Hopefully, Craig has a built-in condition within this survey for the unwilling stragglers...Something like "Your mission Bukkit, should you decide to accept it...blah, blah...this survey will self destruct in ten seconds/days/weeks"...etc.  Hey, I think I can here the theme song....silly imagination.   :D

More delayed lies.

Craig wont hand over until it's 100% completed but I have no faith that 100% of the details are correct. Because Craig.

...It could be easily interpreted as a declaration of will to forfeit my money (as most people seem to believe that's going to be the case). ...
Sorry if I missed it, because I'm late to the party. But on what evidence do you base this assumption on ?

The problem is, he DOESN'T have evidence. And that's exactly the reason why he was asking for clarification. And then some people said he should make the decision on the basis that the particular option he's asking about could be equal to practically forfeiting the money.

... I think you should first read the rest of the thread, it's only 4 pages so far. Or if you have the energy, you could also read the linked thread below, from which this discussion was forked from. Though that one is already 17 pages.

Link to the original thread (optional):

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12566-final-preorders-action-required/page-1

The problem is, he DOESN'T have evidence. And that's exactly the reason why he was asking for clarification. And then some people said he should make the decision on the basis that the particular option he's asking about could be equal to practically forfeiting the money.
But that does make much sense to me. Why would they wan't to attemp a fraud, what would they gain ?

Well that's the thing: they have said "Pandora 2 might not happen". But that's all they said. They haven't confirmed or even hinted anything regarding what would happen if Pandora 2 was scrapped. And bukkit doesn't want to give them the OK until they do (which is a justifiable action, IMO).

Back