Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

I think you should keep the Size.

Make a 3rd Slot for one MicroSD under the Battery for a 2nd OS and put a 32GB NAND in to the Pandora2 so you can make 2 Partitions with 16GB each and put a Klikibunti OS like Ubuntu on one Partition and the "old" Pandora OS in an upgraded version to the other Partition, and make an option to ship it with a preinstalled Micro SD with Android on it for the guys who want the Pandora as an Android game Console.

You can't just start doing things like making 3 or 4 SD slots. You're limited by the SoC and what it can handle.

You have limited resources, try to imagine it like having one of those multiplugs, where you can only plug in, say, 4 devices. Sure you can maybe double up a socket by using a further double adaptor, but you can't push it.

We have to stay within these guide lines and be resourceful with what we choose to include. 3/4 SD slots would take up space and be at the expense of something else.

We really want this to be smaller and more compact than the current Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
What i really like is staying platonic with people i dont know, instead of taking things to a personal level.

Then I dunno man, maybe you should look at some of your posts in this thread because constantly replying to talk about feces flinging whenever other people are arguing about something isn't exactly amicable.. it's kind of flame bait.. I mean at least I think I'm keeping things to commenting on what someone is saying, using some kind of reasoned argument, rather than attacking the person.. and shaking my head in disapproval..

Make a 3rd Slot for one MicroSD under the Battery for a 2nd OS and put a 32GB NAND in to the Pandora2 so you can make 2 Partitions with 16GB each and put a Klikibunti OS like Ubuntu on one Partition and the "old" Pandora OS in an upgraded version to the other Partition, and make an option to ship it with a preinstalled Micro SD with Android on it for the guys who want the Pandora as an Android game Console.

You can't just start doing things like making 3 or 4 SD slots. You're limited by the SoC and what it can handle.

You have limited resources, try to imagine it like having one of those multiplugs, where you can only plug in, say, 4 devices. Sure you can maybe double up a socket by using a further double adaptor, but you can't push it.

We have to stay within these guide lines and be resourceful with what we choose to include. 3/4 SD slots would take up space and be at the expense of something else.

Maybe we should have a sticky in this section that contains the omap5 specs, and then expand it with specs of other potential socs for the P2.

So that people can base their idea´s on what the socs are capable of.

What i really like is staying platonic with people i dont know, instead of taking things to a personal level.

Then I dunno man, maybe you should look at some of your posts in this thread because constantly replying to talk about feces flinging whenever other people are arguing about something isn't exactly amicable.. it's kind of flame bait.. I mean at least I think I'm keeping things to commenting on what someone is saying, using some kind of reasoned argument, rather than attacking the person.. and shaking my head in disapproval..

Thats what i mean with a tad bit too passionate, none of these comments where meant as attacks, you just took em that way.

Which is also why i said, chill out a bit, take a notch back, try to see it less serious.

There are limits, and you probably won't know what they are exactly until you decide most of the design because there'll be things shared by muxing. But while OMAP3 had 3 MMC interfaces newer SoCs often have 4 or even 5.. and by not using NAND you're freeing up way more pins over using SD (a 32-bit NAND chip is going to be a few dozen signal pins to the SoC, SD is only 9).. the SoC won't always have any mux overlap between those but there's a pretty good chance.

There's also a chance that the wifi/whatever chip can be over another interface like USB, freeing up that MMC port.

It's probably going to be two other things as well:

Physical space.

Potential for SD slot failure *3.

That latter one could be worrying yes, but if Sd slots fail no more often then Nands do, then the risk could be minimal.

Do you have any statistics on how many SD card slots actually failed? I also disagree that having three would multiply the rate of failure by three, because probably a majority of the failure is due to physical stress. If you have three slots there won't be 1.5 times as many insertions and extractions as there are with two slots. In fact, there may even be fewer.

I personally don't care if there's only two SD slots. But some are probably going to see it as a regression to remove NAND without adding a second slot. Can you comment on whether or not you intended for a slot to go internal?

There's a lot of talk about making Pandora 2 smaller. If it has a 5" screen and is still a clamshell it can be nothing but thinner (no impact on PCB space). Perhaps this implies that it won't be a clamshell, although I don't see how that'd reduce PCB space either. If it has the controls to the side the PCB would be even larger.

Nice one to bring up, because back in the days two brothers where called enormous idiots by many for claiming that mankind could fly.
Indeed. They came forward with an actual design based on properly understood physics and were laughed at by the common people with little more than a rudimentary grasp of mathematics. Here we have the opposite.

Nice one to bring up, because back in the days two brothers where called enormous idiots by many for claiming that mankind could fly.
Indeed. They came forward with an actual design based on properly understood physics and were laughed at by the common people with little more than a rudimentary grasp of mathematics. Here we have the opposite.

All those physics where unproven at that time, they where mostly theoretical.

Its their dreaming of making it possible that got them to proof the theory's.

Its no different from building a giant telescope to try and proof that the big bang is the origin of the galaxy.

Will the giant telescope proof it? who knows, but we can try, and the worst thing that can happen is that we learn something new.

The physics applied were well understood at the time and experimentally verified. It was the engineering that needed perfecting.

Its no different from building a giant telescope to try and proof that the big bang is the origin of the galaxy.
Will the giant telescope proof it? who knows, but we can try, and the worst thing that can happen is that we learn something new.

It's more like building a giant telescope to try and prove that the solar system is enveloped in a giant space octopus. We have a lot of evidence for the big bang and no evidence for the space octopus (rather, good evidence against it). If someone tried advocating the belief in this space octopus they'd meet justifiable skepticism. If they tried receiving funding for the telescope for this purpose they'd be justifiably denied.

It's also neither fair nor rational for your opinion to be automatically favored just because it's more positive, optimistic, or beneficial to you.

The physics applied were well understood at the time and experimentally verified. It was the engineering that needed perfecting.

It's more like building a giant telescope to try and prove that the solar system is enveloped in a giant space octopus. We have a lot of evidence for the big bang and no evidence for the space octopus (rather, good evidence against it). If someone tried advocating the belief in this space octopus they'd meet justifiable skepticism. If they tried receiving funding for the telescope for this purpose they'd be justifiably denied.

It's also neither fair nor rational for your opinion to be automatically favored just because it's more positive, optimistic, or beneficial to you.

Its by no means enough evidence to call the big bang a fact, which is why its still a theory.

For all we know the birth of the universe could have been an extremely slow process that took billions of years, instead of a few million.

Ad favoring opinions got nothing to do with logic, so calling it fair or rational or not has nothing to do with it.

Its by no means enough evidence to call the big bang a fact, which is why its still a theory.
There are not enough tables in the world for me to smash my head through for this statement.

A scientific theory is a well understood principle that has evidence that proves it but nothing that refutes it. The common person would call it a "fact". In science, there's no such thing as a fact, the best you can get is theory. If it is unproven, just an idea that has yet to be experimented on, it's a hypothesis.

I like the idea of taking one of the omap 5 block diagrams and puzzle piecing potential components to it.

It would tie some of the "p2 should have xyz" talk to reality

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Ad favoring opinions got nothing to do with logic, so calling it fair or rational or not has nothing to do with it.
You told Exophase to calm down, that dreamers are good because they make the big ideas. Even after the dream was proven to be false (not just laughed at because of lack of knowledge, actually presenting the well known facts that prove the dream cannot be real) you continue with this charade of dreamers unilaterally and necessarily being better. That is exactly what Exophase meant: preferring a positive lie vs a negative truth is neither fair nor rational.

Here is a block diagram if you want it: http://www.ti.com/ge...ontentId=103102

It's not really a great one, more showing a configuration than all of the peripherals, but at least it gives you a minimum. I see two SDIO and two MMC/SD. The SDIO ports are probably capable of running plain old SD cards (but not MMC cards); would be very strange and pretty pointless if they couldn't, as well as a departure from previous designs.

Of course there's no guarantee Pandora 2 will have OMAP5, MWeston has even expressed Exynos 5 could work. This is assuming they can even get either.

You told Exophase to calm down, that dreamers are good because they make the big ideas. Even after the dream was proven to be false (not just laughed at because of lack of knowledge, actually presenting the well known facts that prove the dream cannot be real) you continue with this charade of dreamers unilaterally and necessarily being better. That is exactly what Exophase meant: preferring a positive lie vs a negative truth is neither fair nor rational.

I never said dreamers are better, i said dreaming is not a bad thing, good things can come from it.

The rest you just filled in yourself, which is a common thing for people who feel attacked all the time.

Here is a block diagram if you want it: http://www.ti.com/ge...ontentId=103102

It's not really a great one, more showing a configuration than all of the peripherals, but at least it gives you a minimum. I see two SDIO and two MMC/SD. The SDIO ports are probably capable of running plain old SD cards (but not MMC cards); would be very strange and pretty pointless if they couldn't, as well as a departure from previous designs.

Of course there's no guarantee Pandora 2 will have OMAP5, MWeston has even expressed Exynos 5 could work. This is assuming they can even get either.

That one is a bit slower then the omap5 tho, does the mali gpu offer enough advantages over the omap5 gpu to choose for the Exynos5 instead?

I never said dreamers are better, i said dreaming is not a bad thing, good things can come from it.

The rest you just filled in yourself, which is a common thing for people who feel attacked all the time.
You said it in the context of Exophase pointing out the flaws in Grench's "dream". If that's not what you meant to say, then what you said added absolutely nothing to the conversation but confusion.

We really want this to be smaller and more compact than the current Pandora.

Then, just go for a bigger NAND :)

Back