Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

*walks in*, sees people throwing feces at each other, *walks out*

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use one of these controls instead of the old Keyboard:

Yvjli.png

I got one of these and it's smaller and more complete than the actual OP-Controls.

Works well too.

Yep, HP-style buttons are cool.

The image shown above looks a bit cramped, no space between keys - how do you prevent hitting the keys surrounding the one you're trying to hit (assuming you don't have tiny fingers or use a stylus to type)?

Surprisingly it works quite well and you do not hit the other buttons, because the buttons have an excellent balanced pressurepoint and are rounded.

I can type faster with this, than with the OP-Keyboard.

Good versions are not cheap, but it's worth it. You get those things with BlueTooth and classic transmission.

Excellent for MediaCenters and an excellent size for the Pandora.

And this time, please make a more logical Keyboard layout. Even with a gazillion threads in the past about the best button layout and labeling, at the end, just some weird, non standard compromise came out for the Pandora Keyboard layout, really not the brightest star under the Pandora heaven... -_-

Agreed, I've not had any problems with it. As a programmer I would have preferred the pipe and dollar signs be a little more accessible (on the left side of the keyboard instead of the same side as the fn) but for the average user I'm sure it's fine.

I like the Pandora keyboard layout, it works well for me. I'm not using the shift-button (left shoulder is much more practical), ALT is not very convenient, Tab would be nicer as a separate button, and I don't know how to get the DEL button to work. Other than that, everything is perfect.

So perhaps the shift-button should become Tab, and L2 and R2 buttons (assuming we'll have those) could be used for ALT and Fn (which would free up room for one more key). And only show the labels "START" and "SELECT" on those two buttons (in a slightly bigger font), they can be mapped to whatever is useful (e.g. if someone wants to remap one or two of the shoulder to mouse clicks, START and/or SELECT can replace them).

I'd prefer fn to be a keyboard-key, because a "dead" shoulder button doesn't really make sense. But +1 for alt on on (L|R)2, the lack of an easily accessed meta-key is the only thing preventing me from replacing xfce with dwm.

Obviously if Fn would become a shoulder button, it shouldn't be a dead key anymore. But perhaps it's better to keep Fn where it is, and use the other (L|R)2 shoulder button as left mouse click (and make e.g. ALT-mouseclick behave as right click). Right nub mouse buttons suck, and I don't want to sacrifice ABXY either.

Perhaps the right nub could be configured to also move the mouse cursor, but in a slower or faster way. E.g. right nub would move the mouse slowly for precision aiming, left nub would move it fast to travel across the screen. With such a dual nub mouse aiming setup, I think you could get a much better stylus-free desktop experience. I like not having to use the stylus, especially if I have to alternate a lot between typing and mousing. Actually we could try something like this already on the current Pandora (provided you can come up with some other way to do mouse clicks, e.g. sacrifice shoulder buttons).

What's wrong with it? I like it...
For instance, you have to press alot of keys to get letteres like ö ä ü ß and even more keys to get Ä Ö Ü, which are common letters in germany. ;)

I also often search for - and _ also ? and ! these special signs are placed over the whole layout.

Maybe I'm to common with an normal PC Keyboard to feel comfortable with the Pandora Keyboard. Maybe it is just missing a background light because I often sit in the dark room at night and browse with my Pandora in the Forums. :D Not easy to find the right keys then, since an 180° opened Pandora LCD does not lit the keys.

Pandora 2 definitley should have a illuminated keyboard.

Yeah I guess if you are used to QWERTZ with all the umlaut keys as individual keys, it is uncomfortable to use the compose key thing all the time. I suppose the French have the same problem with their accents. Perhaps some software solution is possible to make it a bit easier. At least in German you can still use oe ae ue ss instead of ö ä ü ß, the French don't have that luxury - and for Greek or Japanese or any other non-latin-based alphabets, it is even worse. It would be better if everyone just got used to QWERTY keyboards and have software solutions to make text entry as easy as possible with that keyboard - e.g. I've seen Japanese guys type Japanese on a QWERTY keyboard just fine: they type roman versions of kana syllables, which automatically get turned into kana (e.g. type "oosaka" and get "おおさか"), which then automatically gets turned into kanji ("大阪"). Conclusion: if the Japanese can type their language just fine on a QWERTY keyboard, then the Germans should not complain ;)

Back