Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

We are looking at an 64-bit ARM P2
Which doesn't even have any processors announced yet, there is no chance you can get this in low volume even in 2013-2014 that Craig keeps talking about.

Indeed. Not a chance for that to happen anytime THAT soon. Why would we want 8GB anyway? It is a rather insane amount of RAM for a portable device. Regular desktop usage will not utilise that much.

The only way the P2 could have a 64bit arm chip is if we get used as guinea pigs/beta testers..

The only way the P2 could have a 64bit arm chip is if we get used as guinea pigs/beta testers..

Maybe that could get us some of the parts cheaper, if possible its a mighty fine idea!

Maybe Craigx and Ed can contact the Arm8 Manufactuers and see if a deal can be made!

theres at least 1000 potential testers here!

I recall that that was how the Pandora originally got the OMAPs that they did, someone at TI saw potential and gave OPT the greenlight on some kind of cross promotional thing. Given the time it took to get to market (whether it be OPTs fault or not) I can't foresee any company taking the same risk again. Maybe if the P2 establishes itself as a proven concept that doesn't take 3 years to be fully realized, the P3 can be a bleeding edge guinea pig again.

^^ Not to mention we now have >2k pandoras (all CC/256M models) out with buggy GPUs and SD controllers because of that deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
That can be called having multi-processors.

Stop with the tears and speculation. A 64-bit ARMv8 might be possible in the future... THE FUTURE WITH PANDORA 2 AND JETPACKS.

Whether you like it or not, we're going to build the best possible handheld with the highest spec we can get our hands on, and when you see the P2 design you will understand what this was all about.
I'm sure, everyone wants the best possible HW for this Device, that's understandable bud it is not logical imho. Such a powerful HW needs Years to develop, especialy for such a small niche Device. As more complex it is, as longer it takes and if we look back of how much trouble the Pandora PCB already gave because of it's 8 Layers, I can imagine, that it would need much longer to make a working Pandora 2 board with such specs, even when the production process goes well. OPT only has very limited Manpower, actualy, I guerss it is still only MWeston that would do the Hardware Design. Since I expect no help from any chip and parts manufacturers for the Pandora 2 Project, it will be hard, very hard.

Of course, I wish all luck with that if it ever will happen.

Craig wants 8GB

He realizes that this requires a 64bit cpu

The 64-bit processors found in desktops eat too much battery, and produce too much heat for a pocket/handheld computer

We are looking at an 64-bit ARM P2
Exaclty my thoughts too. :D

We may have an über Handheld with jiggabytes of RAM and maybe 64Bit and whatever.... And at the end, this thing will eat battery power for breakfast. ^^"

History shows us, that it doesn't need the best Hardware to make the best Handheld. Compare the Atary Lynx with the Gameboy, HW wise, the Lynx was superior in any way. But at the end, the Gameboy dominated The Handheld Market for Decades. it was cheaper, had longer Battery time and the most important thing, it had the better software.

I'm sure, it is really important that Devs can code as efficient and easy as possible for a Computer. Pandora 1 had room for improvements there, and I'm not sure if this will be better on Pandora 2, with even more complex Hardware, expecialy graphic unit with maybe questionable driver support from the Manufacturers.

Actualy, all I wanted to say is: "Keep It Simple!" ;)

I'm not sad if we get only 4 GB of RAM.

My Laptop has 4 GB (OK, it's no high end product).

If my handheld would have more RAM than my Laptop something has to be wrong :) .

What I want to say is that 4 GB is verry good for a handheld and I would prefere to put more effore into more useful stuff.

I'm not sad if we get only 4 GB of RAM.

My Laptop has 4 GB (OK, it's no high end product).

If my handheld would have more RAM than my Laptop something has to be wrong :) .

What I want to say is that 4 GB is verry good for a handheld and I would prefere to put more effore into more useful stuff.

4GB would be great to me, i personally do not expect phones to have 4gb yet in 2013, maybe not even tablets will have 4gb yet, considering that the latest tablets have 1GB of RAM., the google tablet got only 512mb.

So if Craig can get 4 gb in the Pandora, it would be quite a milestone!

And i am sure plenty of people would trow their money at it.

Of course I understand it, I can only assume this is to try to troll me, something you have been attempting a lot recently. I'm simply not interested at all in one of your sad pedant debates. No one reads your essay long replies.

Whether you like it or not, we're going to build the best possible handheld with the highest spec we can get our hands on, and when you see the P2 design you will understand what this was all about.

You go off and build your own handheld if you don't like it, your posts here won't discourage us one bit.

See everyone, he understands it won't be 64-bit. I don't have to explain why that'd be highly unrealistic.

So why 8GB of RAM?

Oh I'm sorry, I must just be trolling you. Hopefully for your sake no one does read my "essay long replies" or they might be keeping track of all the things you say that don't add up.

I was thinking of "something completely different", without spoiling anything ;^).

Tis still early days yet for the p2.I wouldnt take anything said as written in stone yet.I get the impression though that they are trying to innovate in some specific respect as regards the p2.Time will tell but its my most wanted device period.Tablets and such dont do it for me.

Back