Pandora Act As A Virtual Drive Over Usb

You could turn off the screen, and underclock way down while you were using it as a virtual CD drive.
I can't imagine it would require much processing power.

Well, all the Nokia internet tablets look like a mass storage device if you connect it to a computer: The SD card(s) in the NIT will show up as a disk on the computer. So, it's certainly possible.

(The more problematic issue on those devices is actually to make it work the other way around, i.e. to let the tablets see a USB reader or USB disk. For that you need a special cable etc.)

I've been in the no-tech pull hand carts world and eat salty ham world for the last few days, nice to see my thread caught on a bit.
Now to reply.

keaft said:
It's like booting up a computer through usb, such as an external hd or a flash key.
But the usb would be your pandora?
That would be really cool. Talk about portability. They have portable ubuntu and xp. But booting ubuntu from your pandora would be pretty dang awesome. Albeit that would only work as long as the battery would last. But I can see myself in class getting annoyed at XP for some reason, wishing I had ubuntu.
Yeah, you got it exactly.
Phawx said:
@keaft
Minus the KVM stuff. The original idea would be to connect a pc to your Pandora. Have the Pandora load an .iso and have the PC *think* the Pandora is an optical drive with whatever disc you loaded. Like a previous poster said, you could load up Windows for recovery or installation purposes. Currently trying to get a Windows iso to boot off a USB stick is hell.
Yeah, I wouldn't be into the KVM thing too much either, and my attempt to get XP on a USB stick didn't work here.
Aninhumer said:
You could turn off the screen, and underclock way down while you were using it as a virtual CD drive.
I can't imagine it would require much processing power.
Well, I can see it as doing that for when the reading is only sparse, but I think it should be dynamically clocked in order to handle the read so you have less latency to the computer. Only testing will show the optimum clock settings though when we have them in our hands.
Tor said:
Well, all the Nokia internet tablets look like a mass storage device if you connect it to a computer: The SD card(s) in the NIT will show up as a disk on the computer. So, it's certainly possible.
(The more problematic issue on those devices is actually to make it work the other way around, i.e. to let the tablets see a USB reader or USB disk. For that you need a special cable etc.)
Well, I understand that, so do many many MP3 players, flash drives(of course), and other media devices. However my wish is to not have to do any changes to any memory except a copy of one single file(the disk image). I do not doubt that having the second SD slot acting like a boot device for the computer would fail, but I am talking about virtualization if you got me at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back