Pandora acting as DVD drive on boot

Gring

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to plug on the usb master port of a Pandora a usb drive containing os iso files, and plug the pandora via USB to a pc to act as a cd/DVD drive with the os installation isos mounted?

edit: I mean, during the boot of the computer, so the Pandora would have to "register" as a standard usb cd/dvd drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you're installing a *nix then you can't beat Unebootin. It turns .iso images into a bootable drive, haven't burned a Linux distro DVD since I found it. I now there is something that is easy like this for windows also, but can't remember what it was.

Unebootin' is quite practical, but you can only have one iso per usb drive, and that's quite annoying to sacrifice a 8gb key just for that. I managed to put several isos on a usb key and choose them on boot with Grub2, but it does only work for certain distros (Ubuntu mainly), and requires to find an adaptation for each iso.

What I would like would be a device that acts as a real usb CD/DVD drive with any ISO file, even macOs, XP and Seven. When you have to work on a lot of computers and servers, it's really practical to have an array of distros, rescue cds, adapted windows with nlite or others, etc... that you can boot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that would be a really cool program you're describing. I'd go for that, I can imagine carrying around multiple OSs and such.

I know Linux has built in iso support so perhaps it might be possible to change the mount point so instead of plugging in your Pandora and seeing the contents of the sd card, you see the contents of the iso. However my experience in that area is limited so I wouldn't know if it was possible or not, perhaps someone else could say more.

It would be a good start though.

We need to know if it's possible to create several devices on the usb client port, along with the default mass storage class device, and set them up with specific usb profile classes.

I don't know if this is hardware dependent (What is the usb client chip used on the Pandora?), or only software (I don't find the related documentation on the Angstrom wiki).

Back