Pandora As A Music Machine?

mazza558

Since the Pandora has a built-in DSP, a powerful processor and a keyboard, would it be possible to use it as a mini-synth keyboard? Using the touch screen to control settings like reverb etc? It'd be very cool to see.

mazza558 said:
Since the Pandora has a built-in DSP, a powerful processor and a keyboard, would it be possible to use it as a mini-synth keyboard? Using the touch screen to control settings like reverb etc? It'd be very cool to see.

There are already linux applications available for music and sound creation; since the Pandora runs on debian, just use apt-get and you're set to go. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone want to do that? no velocity, keys arent weighted, dsp isn't high-high quality, software synthesizer modules and sequencers would run extremely slow, and they dont give a good sound anyway, its just not practical.

of course it would work fine as a toy or something.

dispraekailo said:
since the Pandora runs on debian, just use apt-get and you're set to go. :)

Nope Pandora won't run Debian as main distrib, but angstrom.
But no worry debian won't be far from my pandora, be sure of it.

PoisonedV said:
Why would anyone want to do that? no velocity, keys arent weighted, dsp isn't high-high quality, software synthesizer modules and sequencers would run extremely slow, and they dont give a good sound anyway, its just not practical.

Um, you should be able to get a fine music setup going. There's enough power to run lots of stuff. And with USB we can plug in midi controllers... I plan on it myself :)

dockthepod said:
PoisonedV said:

Um, you should be able to get a fine music setup going. There's enough power to run lots of stuff. And with USB we can plug in midi controllers... I plan on it myself :)

theres a difference between using it as a sequencer or minimalist DAW and a software synthesizer

It'd be a nice "because I can!" sort of thing as opposed to something used in a production environment...

Now, Audacity on the go, on the other hand...

Trackers are a good idea. Just get one that's multiplatform.

Trackers are small enough to be used in just about anything, really.

Logokas said:
Trackers are a good idea. Just get one that's multiplatform.

Trackers are small enough to be used in just about anything, really.
The newer Akai MPCs can do a lot with just 128MB of memory, smaller mono lcd displays and way lower processor requirements. With a USB Midi keyboard attached I bet somebody could do an awful lot of music production on these little guys.

The DS can do it, so sure, why not? Assuming you mean something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rorBOzwR3Tc

i am also hoping that eventually some cool music apps will emerge for the pandora. but i'm thinking of midi stuff rather than audio.

one thing that i'd love to see is a midi processing utility like midi ox wich would turn the pandora into a more flexible alternative to midisolution's event processor.

and with its touchscreen and some cool software, the pandora could be turned into all kinds of really cool and innovative midi sequencer. maybe something like a tenori-on emulation, or something like tiction.

Back