Pandora As A Phone

good or bad

• Total voters

lulzfish said:
I would just use it as a speakerphone. Like, set the Pandora down somewhere, then yell at it.

Somebody should put a phone in a Furby. They seem ripe for yelling at.

furby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
VOIP is teh best solution across the board, but the only thing lacking is the capability to be "always on" in order to receive calls, which is where the wimax/3g concept comes into play... these are functional with dongles (but make life difficult when wanting to keep the pandora in a pocket because NO mfg thought it would be smart to make a wimax/3g dongle that would be small enough to plug in and be unobtrusive to the chassis of the device in question... wifi and bluetooth dongle mfgs have figured this out, stronger technologies, not so much. Nor has it become anywhere near commonplace for wimax/3g-enabled sdio cards to be on the market (which is also a shame... I'm sure cellular mfgs are either stonewalling or paying off sdio mfgs to keep things moving as slowly as possible).

Summary: most viable solution is voip+wimax/3G/4G (once technology is nicer to handheld devices) via mini dongles or sdio cards...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
VOIP is teh best solution across the board, but the only thing lacking is the capability to be "always on" in order to receive calls, which is where the wimax/3g concept comes into play... these are functional with dongles (but make life difficult when wanting to keep the pandora in a pocket because NO mfg thought it would be smart to make a wimax/3g dongle that would be small enough to plug in and be unobtrusive to the chassis of the device in question... wifi and bluetooth dongle mfgs have figured this out, stronger technologies, not so much. Nor has it become anywhere near commonplace for wimax/3g-enabled sdio cards to be on the market (which is also a shame... I'm sure cellular mfgs are either stonewalling or paying off sdio mfgs to keep things moving as slowly as possible).

Summary: most viable solution is voip+wimax/3G/4G (once technology is nicer to handheld devices) via mini dongles or sdio cards...
There's a rather significant transmision power difference between a short range transmitter (bluetooth) and a long range (wimax/3g) one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

This translates into much bigger components to handle the power requirements. The rule of thumb is, the smaller the size, the harder power dissipation becomes. I remember those threads about micro Wifi adapters, they supposedly get rather hot.

The antenna required needs to be bigger too, in order to be more efficient at receiving/transmitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Point well taken, but I'm sure that more power can be put into smaller parts and not create so much heat (or whatever other issue slows down said progress)... just a matter of technology developing to that point before it becomes commonplace/widespread... just annoys me sometimes how slow it happens since technology itself moves forward so fast as a whole... but I digress...

Back