Pandora Pandora As Media Center Controler

BudhaCronX

Still Fresh
Website
www.budhcronx.com
I am looking at building a media center soon and was thinking about what sort of control I will have to use. Then I realized, Panda's got blue tooth, surely somebody could make something that would let you use it with a media center. So, that's my idea. The Pandora as a Media Center Controller. My only problem is I'm completely unable to do something like this, so what's the possibility?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Web interface for your media center, available for at least XBMC and mythtv
2. Something like Anyremote (http://anyremote.sourceforge.net, don't know if there's a desktop client)
3. UPNP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play)

Definitely use that web interface and a standard wireless network. Bluetooth isn't necessary, and if you have a WLAN, it probably has better range.

'BudhaCronX' said:
Then I realized, Panda's got blue tooth
pandasgotbluetooth.jpg

Sorry, couldn't avoid it :p

There's several of us very keen to see MythTV's frontend become a reality on the Pandora. I've got it working on my wife's EEE and it's a wonderful portable television set and media centre (especially when supported by a powerful MythTV backend and file server running somewhere else in the house)

I'd like to see Pandora used as a remote too with my Windows XP media PC. Should be able to put a Bluetooth dongle on the media pc and use standard bluetooth drivers, right? I thought it was pretty much plug and play.

lulzfish said:
I think that would depend on the Pandora being able to talk to Windows Media Center, which seems unlikely.
If the Pandora can disguise itself as a HID-compatible keyboard, it would be possible.
However, Windows Media Center is tricky, it needs special buttons like the "windows media center button" and the "windows livestream button" etc to work properly; you'd need to setup a separate emulation profile for th epandora to make it possible.
And is WMC compatible with bluetooth at all?

Anyways, I'll be using Myth if anything, so won't be a problem for me :D (only problem remaining for me is that my backend only has 1 tuner, oh well)

Why not any decent linux server distro for the media center, then SSH to it via the Panda? It's fast and you're in total control.

Well, yea, that's basically what's happening with Myth: You have a frontend that's supported by a backend somewhere else. It's better than SSHing imo, because it uses very little bandwidth and kinda looks nicer, more integrated etc.

'Trevor Bradley' said:
There's several of us very keen to see MythTV's frontend become a reality on the Pandora. I've got it working on my wife's EEE and it's a wonderful portable television set and media centre (especially when supported by a powerful MythTV backend and file server running somewhere else in the house)
That is an amazing idea! I'd love to see something like that happen! Although just plain NFS is fine too I guess.

@ dflemstr: the myth-tv frontend is actually the mediaplayer. What BudhaCronX means is more of a remote-control type of application.

For pure remote control I would probably also use SSH. The MythTV application would be awesome to sit anywhere in the house watching or listening to your media stored on a main server.

Back