Pandora At Oscon Or Linuxcon?

Jefro

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Is anyone working on the Pandora coming to OSCON or LinuxCon in the US this summer? I'm giving a presentation about the BeagleBoard at OSCON and would love to show off some commercial products based on the Beagle. I am also hosting Embedded Linux BoFs at both conferences & would be very happy if someone were there to give a demo. :)

thanks

Jeff

DaMummy said:
really bad attempt at getting a free pandora...
^ Really bad attempt at reading Jefro's post. He's very clearly asking if someone will be present to show off a Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my bad - I guess I had bad information (and didn't search deeply enough on this forum) before I mentioned it. I had no designs on getting a free Pandora, nor do I want one. I'm just offering an opportunity for public involvement. Maybe the Pandora community has no need to interface with the public. Still, if any Pandora devs want to drop in on the Embedded Linux BoFs, please feel free.

I had forgotten about the hostility in gamer groups that just isn't present in most other developer forums. I don't miss it.

BTW Thanks Prometheus for the link

No problem. Sorry it's a bit broken - there was a problem with the forum back then that was causing quotes to get mangled. :p

I'm not entirely sure where the Beagle information comes from, by the by. As you can guess, it's come up before. :lol:

(I've also not heard whether any of the team will be at those events, incidentally - sorry if it seemed like I glossed over that before. I just wanted to correct the Beagle-related stuff before someone did so in an unpleasant fashion. :p)

I think the Beagleboard stuff came from the fact that they have very similar specifications, generally. There's even that dev working on the psp emu that says he's using a beagleboard for testing, which is sure to confuse some people.

Actually, Jefro's questions bring up an even bigger question: once production has ramped up a bit and/or they want to start taking orders for round two, will the team consider physical presences at conventions and such?

In particular, it seems like anime and comic book conventions might be a good match for the Pandora; there's considerable overlap between the subsets of people who are heavily into such things, the subsets of people who like retrogaming and the subset of people who are comfortable with jailbreaking and/or tweaking their handhelds to make them more flavourful, and a fully-open console/pocketable computer might appeal to them.

Jefro: one thing your BoFs might be interested in is the fact that the Pandora can support its own development without requiring a cross-compiler .. In the Beagleboard world, this is starting to become a more and more viable way of getting started with development as rapidly as possible ..

Jefro said:
I had forgotten about the hostility in gamer groups that just isn't present in most other developer forums. I don't miss it.
*sigh* if one person making a passive aggressive and obviously false statement is enough hostility to make you reminisce about being driven away then I would greatly suggest you avoid 99% of the internet. Places such as youtube and slashdot may be far too much for you to handle, to say nothing of the places where active hostility goes on.

torpor said:
Jefro: one thing your BoFs might be interested in is the fact that the Pandora can support its own development without requiring a cross-compiler .. In the Beagleboard world, this is starting to become a more and more viable way of getting started with development as rapidly as possible ..

It is very interesting indeed. We currently do both cross-compilation and native compilation on a large number of boards for testing, ARM-based and otherwise. I'm not convinced that it actually speeds up development, given that a host system can have so much more horsepower. Good thing to discuss at the BoF. :)

WizardStan said:
Jefro said:
*sigh* if one person making a passive aggressive and obviously false statement is enough hostility to make you reminisce about being driven away then I would greatly suggest you avoid 99% of the internet. Places such as youtube and slashdot may be far too much for you to handle, to say nothing of the places where active hostility goes on.

I never said I was driven away, just that I don't miss it.

el_pango said:
Actually, Jefro's questions bring up an even bigger question: once production has ramped up a bit and/or they want to start taking orders for round two, will the team consider physical presences at conventions and such?

In particular, it seems like anime and comic book conventions might be a good match for the Pandora; there's considerable overlap between the subsets of people who are heavily into such things, the subsets of people who like retrogaming and the subset of people who are comfortable with jailbreaking and/or tweaking their handhelds to make them more flavourful, and a fully-open console/pocketable computer might appeal to them.

Considering other venues (like anime/comic conventions) is good, creative thinking.

For limited-run devices (and low marketing budgets) one way to promote is to give presentations at conferences. Most technical confs don't allow overt marketing, but if someone wanted to give a talk on, say, on-device development as opposed to cross compilation and use their device as a demonstration of that setup, it'd be welcome at developer confs. It also cuts down on the cost of attendance, as speakers normally get free registration (though rarely travel $$). Good for conferences in your local area or ones you'd be going to anyway.

I love to see community-driven projects at these things. The quality is always high because of the personal energy the stakeholders put into it.

Jefro said:
I'm inferring that you were originally part of such a "gamer" forum of some sort, and that topics eventually changed in such a way that you felt the need to leave but feel no remorse for having done so: ergo, you were driven away.
My point stands thus: I take some offense to your passive-aggressive implication that this community is a "gamer group" with hostile intent based on one persons obviously misguided (though perhaps understandable) belief in your intentions.

WizardStan said:
Jefro said:
I'm inferring that you were originally part of such a "gamer" forum of some sort, and that topics eventually changed in such a way that you felt the need to leave but feel no remorse for having done so: ergo, you were driven away.
My point stands thus: I take some offense to your passive-aggressive implication that this community is a "gamer group" with hostile intent based on one persons obviously misguided (though perhaps understandable) belief in your intentions.

You're right - I shouldn't have grumbled about the entire group based on the actions of a couple of people. Mea culpa. I was simply taken aback that, of the first three responses to an offer to help the group in promotion, one was sarcastic and derogatory and the other was an outright accusation. It has been a while since I was treated that harshly as a newbie in any forum.

For what it's worth, I stopped gaming when other things in my life became more important. I guess you could say I was driven away by higher priorities.

Jefro said:
You're right - I shouldn't have grumbled about the entire group based on the actions of a couple of people. Mea culpa. I was simply taken aback that, of the first three responses to an offer to help the group in promotion, one was sarcastic and derogatory and the other was an outright accusation. It has been a while since I was treated that harshly as a newbie in any forum.
Thank you. I'm sorry you were made to feel less than welcome from the start.
So welcome! :) I hope things can be made more accommodating for you in the future.

I just hope I didn't come across that way. It certainly wasn't my intent.

Prometheus said:
I just hope I didn't come across that way. It certainly wasn't my intent.

Not in the slightest! Your comment & link to the post that discussed the issue were very much appreciated.

Back