Pandora Pandora Bios

netbsd said:
The boot sequence is
1. ROM loads X-loader
2. X-loader loads U-Boot
3. U-Boot loads Linux kernel
Correct, apart from the fact that Pandora doesn't have U-Boot :)

netbsd said:
One might want/need to override what gets loaded during each stage, even the first one, to make it truly unbrickable.
There is a button combination to enable 'peripheral boot', else it's disabled, and so it defaults to NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
A neat boot animation would be the Pandora logo in 8bit and slowly changing to modern 3D
Good Idea. This could also work as an Loading Status Indicator. :) Starting with a monochrome Graphic like in the early days of Videogames, going over 4 colour Graphic to 8-Bit, 16 Bit maybe and at the End cool (and moving) 3D when the loading is finished. It always shows the same Logo and/or text to indicate the "Timetravel" over the years in Videogame History. I'm sure this can be done with a minimum of filesize and System ressources, I know cool Demos under 100kb from the Demo Scene with much more complicated Effects.

fusion_power said:
PlopperZ said:
A neat boot animation would be the Pandora logo in 8bit and slowly changing to modern 3D
Good Idea. This could also work as an Loading Status Indicator. :) Starting with a monochrome Graphic like in the early days of Videogames, going over 4 colour Graphic to 8-Bit, 16 Bit maybe and at the End cool (and moving) 3D when the loading is finished. It always shows the same Logo and/or text to indicate the "Timetravel" over the years in Videogame History. I'm sure this can be done with a minimum of filesize and System ressources, I know cool Demos under 100kb from the Demo Scene with much more complicated Effects.

Uh well... :blink:

I'd say save that for later or as an optional addition. Keep the booting procedure clean and simple. A nice, classy 2D logo and a progress bar would be fine.

But then I'm a Mac guy. We like things fast, easy and classy. :rolleyes: :lol:

In case you guys don't know how Macs are doing that boot options thing:

You can press C to boot from CD/DVD, Alt for a boot menu etc. Could be easily adapted, like "1" for "boot from SD1", "U" for boot from USB etc. Much more intuitive than a non-descriptive button, or those totally random keys like classic PC BIOS keys like F1, F8 or DEL.

Once the OS starts booting on a Mac you can hold Apple-S for single user mode or Apple-V for verbose mode (switch off graphical booting and see the boot console instead). Again easy to remember and also easy to implement.

Shortcuts like that, 1 for SD-Boot, U for USB boot, M for BIOS menu, V for switch to verbose-boot would be quite fast to implement and also very fast and easy to use.

skab said:
1 for SD-Boot, U for USB boot, M for BIOS menu, V for switch to verbose-boot would be quite fast to implement and also very fast and easy to use.
Actually, keys like 1, U, M and V are much more complicated to implement than keys such as Start, Select, Menu and the Action and shoulder buttons. The later are connected directly to an I/O, whereas the keyboard keys are connected as a matrix (row+column), so you have to fiddle with each row and scan every column to detect pressed keys, and the processor isn't connected to the key matrix, so you have to talk I2C to another chip to mess with the lines...

Hardware Test.

Internal CPU,
FPU + 3D Accelerator HW
Onboard RAM
(Boot) Flash NAND CRC Test
Peripheral Test
(USB, Serial, Audio, Video, Keypads + Joysticks) -- LCD Dead Pixel finder...
Media Reader (SD cards)
Battery Age, State evaluation
Touch Screen calibration/ testing

For the Boot,

Someone should start a 16KB type competition for a flashy yet efficiently stored/loading 3D spinning&mutating logo type demo.

(Err the Pandora has an official Logo right?)

Series-8 said:
Someone should start a 16KB type competition for a flashy yet efficiently stored/loading 3D spinning&mutating logo type demo.

(Err the Pandora has an official Logo right?)
The logo on openpandora.org is as official as we're going to get. We had a big logo competition a few months back and the logo on the official site hasn't changed. I guess they'll be sticking with it.

I'd say save that for later or as an optional addition. Keep the booting procedure clean and simple. A nice, classy 2D logo and a progress bar would be fine.

But then I'm a Mac guy. We like things fast, easy and classy. :rolleyes: :lol:

I like it fast, clean and simple to (and stable!) so of course this is only a OPTIONAL choice like selecting a boot logo or booting straight in text mode like onto PC's. :)
How long can it take to load a 50kb or 100KB program into the RAM? one millisecond or 5? ;) It is just to do something WHILE loading so the user don't get bored. I think it takes a while to load boot- stuff from SD or NAND if this Animation is acrivated or not. So you sacrifice maybe 1/10 of a second to have something interesting to watch while the Pandora boots up (in 5 or 10 Seconds? I don't know)

Also a little animation hides the fact that it is booting. You just watch the little animation thinking it is just a welcoming thing and not realizing how long it's actually taking to boot. It's pretty obvious on the F200 when you're staring at the same static picture for a half hour.

Series-8 said:
3D Accelerator HW
That's going to be tricky, considering the 3D HW is under NDA and we only have Linux binary blobs.

Series-8 said:
At the moment, the BIOS can load upto 256 color paletted GIF files. Each frame may use a different palette. If you want to a simple animation, then go ahead and post the results. If Craigix likes the result, it may end up in the final product.

fusion_power said:
skab said:
How long can it take to load a 50kb or 100KB program into the RAM? one millisecond or 5? ;) It is just to do

128KB chunks. So the BIOS is either 128KB, 256KB, 384KB/etc.

A progress bar is kinda pointless for the amount of time it'll be loading, decompressing and checking the kernel for (a few secs max), but I suppose we could carry it over to the Kernel.

My perspective on controlling the boot:

Press Power
Normal Boot

Hold Pandora Button + Press Power
> Enter BOIS config
> Allow Change Time & Date
> Allow Change boot order
> Allow Change boot password
> Enable / Disable boot logo

Hold X + Press Power
Boot from SD1

Hold B + Press Power
Boot from SD2

Hold A + Press Power
Boot from USB (cdrom or flash disk)

Hold Y + Press Power
Boot from SSD

EDIT:
Squidge: I wouldn't display any text on the boot screen at all, just start with a blank screen, and have it draw the pandora logo

parag0n said:
Hold X + Press Power Boot from SD1
Hold B + Press Power Boot from SD2
Hold A + Press Power Boot from USB (cdrom or flash disk)
Hold Y + Press Power Boot from SSD
In the interest of making it easier to remember which button to hit, perhaps instead use the left shoulder button while hitting power to boot from the left SD slot, and hold right shoulder button to boot from the right SD slot.

Boot from USB would be grand (I just got a WD passport. Woot, I say. Woot.) but it sounds like from previous responses it's too much in size/code to expect right away. I'll just hope for it in future BIOS updates. :)

I know this is pretty far out and nobody might know anything about it but couldn't the bios be in one ring on the cpu while linux boots on the other ring? then full control would be given to linux after the boot finishes...

not sure of the practicality of that since xen apparently doesn't support arm fully but i think i have seen xen/arm kernel images?

maybe i barking up the wrong tree there though.... but i must admit that the tech is pretty interesting if not mature

I believe your thinking x86, which uses 4 rings to indicate privileges (ring 0 being kernel, and ring 3 being apps).

Also, is there any idea on approximately how long it should take to get through the BIOS booting to booting something from the built in memory? Half a second? 1? 2? 5? 10?

Depends on the size of the kernel, and whether or not it's compressed.

Squidge said:
Depends on the size of the kernel, and whether or not it's compressed.

Compression really increases boot time? By how much?

I'd guess it increases boot time, since CPU cycles are needed to decompress... how did you get that idea?

Depends on the compression type (gz is lightning fast, lzma not quite so). But it shouldn't be that much slower, since there's less data to copy from the nand in the first place.

Laurent said:
Compression really increases boot time? By how much?
I think he means that it takes longer if its uncompressed, normally the cycles spent on decompression more than make up for the cycles wasted waiting for the data from storage.

Back