Pandora Booting Android

PhillipJ said:
No chance of getting "Maemo" branded Maemo (due to Nokia owning the name and probably some non-FOSS bits) but there's not real reason why Mer shouldn't run.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

[edit] it already runs on the Beagleboard so getting it on Pandora would probably be fairly straightforward.
Actually, I'm fairly informed ;)
I used "maemo reconstructed" now known as Mer on my N800. Diablo had been hacked to run on Beagleboard, so I think it should be possible with Fremantle, too. There is someone on these boards who wants to try to make Angström compatible with maemo, so it might be possible to borrow some maemo parts. It's a pity that important parts of maemo are closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
keek said:
Great news! One question: what is that moaning sound in the background?
Holy cow you have your sound high. I turned it all the way up and it doesn't sound like moaning to me, sounds like someone talking on the phone, then she yawns, and then continues talking on the phone, near the end she's going 'huh, huh?' like she's talking on the phone once again.

Anyway, pretty cool, the more that runs on the Pandora the more there will be interest in it.

second exodous said:
keek said:
Holy cow you have your sound high. I turned it all the way up and it doesn't sound like moaning to me, sounds like someone talking on the phone, then she yawns, and then continues talking on the phone, near the end she's going 'huh, huh?' like she's talking on the phone once again.

Anyway, pretty cool, the more that runs on the Pandora the more there will be interest in it.

Lol it's my girlfriend asking for me to go lunch :)

Excellent work. I hope you are able to get hardware graphics acceleration and touch screen support in, as it would make a great development platform (especially as it has very similar hardware to some Android handsets out now).

Steve

Engadget said:
One of the lucky, open source-friendly buyers decided that the native Linux distribution was just not for his liking, and instead opted for Google's little green man mobile OS.

cobaltage said:
Hey this made it on Engadget, and for once the comments are pretty funny.

The only thing that made me smile on the whole article was this comment:

Stop sending androids to Pandora, quit attacking the poor Na'vi!

mali said:
Engadget said:
One of the lucky, open source-friendly buyers decided that the native Linux distribution was just not for his liking, and instead opted for Google's little green man mobile OS.

Haha, oh my :lol:

This is awesome! If nothing else, it brings us the whole wealth of Android Apps :)

Few questions:
Why is it rotated 90 degrees? And can this be fixed?
What hardware is supported? Will games be able to use the SGX properly?
How fast is it?

Pandroid pleases me :)

PhonicUK said:
Why is it rotated 90 degrees? And can this be fixed?

This is probably because it's a direct port from the mobile version which is designed for phones - usually having a vertical screen.
I guess it can be easily fixed by messing with the set-up judging from how open it is on other parts.

Cpasjuste said:
second exodous said:
keek said:

Lol it's my girlfriend asking for me to go lunch :)

:lol: Must be something Freudian on my part.

GRAVEDIGGER!! yea whatever...

where is this at? The file repository... track progress, contribute etc etc...

EDIT: android... not the rest of the stuff being talked about

found this
http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP
and this
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/e933982889f0441d?pli=1

but nothing dedicated to pandora or complied image, this will be a project I'll be looking into heavily when I get my pandora

Boo...

Thanks Gruso, if anyone knew where it would be at, it would be you.

I'll PM him, not sure of how much help I can be, but I'll give it a shot.

no pm, i imagine he's a busy guy.. but anyway I found this

http://gitorious.org/0xdroid

more specifically

http://gitorious.org/0xdroid/bionic/commits/beagle-eclair

it's android 2.1 (enclair), well all versions of android it seems like for the beagleboard

it's somewhere to start anyway

So... given this, how would one go from this git repository for an almost identical hardware to a bootable image to start playing around with it and tweeking it and such?

please forgive the noobery here... but with my current knowledge of porting an OS (see: none) I'm not really sure where to start reading; guides etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

<edit> wrong thread, unintentional grave digging. </edit>

Another potential source of info: rowboat project. It is a project focused on getting android functioning on omap35x based devices.

This is great! Can someone else with a Pandora try this and see how fast some games, like Angry Birds, run?

Back