Pandora Charger Plug Type?

amf66

I know that the chargers for the Pandora are going to be PSP chargers that will be bought from an OEM supplier or something like that, but what type of plug will they have? I just thought of how much of a pain it will be if I have to carry around a plug adapter just to charge my Pandora. Does anyone know anything about this?

Why does this question keep coming up every couple weeks?
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't selected the exact charger that will be shipped (whether it's PSP like or something else, although a PSP charger will work) but what I do know is that it will be a smart adapter: it can be plugged into any socket that provides an AC current between 110 and 220 volts (or there abouts) and either 50 or 60 hz. All you have to do is change the cable. Google for "figure 8 cable" to see just how common this is.

WizardStan said:
Why does this question keep coming up every couple weeks?
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't selected the exact charger that will be shipped (whether it's PSP like or something else, although a PSP charger will work) but what I do know is that it will be a smart adapter: it can be plugged into any socket that provides an AC current between 110 and 220 volts (or there abouts) and either 50 or 60 hz. All you have to do is change the cable. Google for "figure 8 cable" to see just how common this is.

Sorry, I searched and didn't find an answer (must have not searched hard enough) so I assumed the question hadn't been asked. It's good to know that it used a figure 8 cable though. I think I have a few of those lying around the house. ;) Also, I thought it would be dual voltage but I wasn't sure, and that's a plus too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Pandora is being shipped from both the UK and USA, I'm going to guess that the UK shipped ones will be with a UK plug, and the USA ones with a USA-friendly plug such as a europlug. If you live elsewhere with another plug type I'm sure you can find an appropriate cable or adaptor :)

@ Squidge: Did that officially change from Craigix's post in this thread:

craigix said:
...the Pandora is being shipped from both the UK and USA

I hadn't personally seen an update anywhere on that. Search didn't provide me anything new.

Sphinxter said:
Why not just use a usb charger, assuming it will charge while it's plugged into one. If so and it'll charge off a pc why even include one, no, let's include one of these http://eternal-lands...sb-charger.html should work in every country.

You should check out the thread... everything as to why many don't want the above has been answered. Here's a sampling:
- Some expect an actual supply, as was indicated.
- Some want to have the USB port free to actually use it (as would happen with a PSP supply).
- Some expect a supply like the PSP that can do an actuall 5V 2000mA (I can't find a USB wall adaptor over 1000mA). If you do find a USB wall adapter with 2000mA+, feel free to check the price.
- Etc. I'm not going to summarize the entire thread.

Side note, you are actually suggesting a solar cell/AA hack hybrid for a polished professional product? A hack that would likely take 5x the time to charge and look all gangly? Can you imagine if SONY or Nintendo shipped their product with something like that?

I can only assume you are sleepy or missing the big picture: That they would like to actually sell future batches, make a profit, and a polished delivery of product/first batch is paramount for this. I think a couple more dollars for an actual non-USB stable powersuply (as what was indicated would deliver) is far more important for good reviews and future sales, especially for the public or gadget-geeks.

I hope people don't lose sight of the big picture / making a future for the product. No power supply included, a hacked one, or a low quality one, will taint reviews by any reputable source.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot before even starting the marathon.

How is a Europlug USA-friendly? 

256px-Europlug2.jpg

vs.

180px-Domestic_AC_Type_B_USA.jpg

atomicthumbs said:
How is a Europlug USA-friendly? 

256px-Europlug2.jpg

vs.

180px-Domestic_AC_Type_B_USA.jpg

With a small plug adapter, it fits well on wall sockets, and power strips in the US... just imagine trying to fit this:

G_plug.png

on a US power strip with an adapter... PITA... if you ask me. I've actually got a few things with that plug, because I travel to the middle east occasionally.

keaft said:
which wall jack is the easiest to stick your fingers into?

I'd have to say that the wall jacks in India were pretty sparky!

BackAssward said:
No, it's still a might. Remember: I'm not official. I know about the same as the rest of you here. Craigix is the only one with all the information (Maybe MW and Ed know more stuff too, but the main man is still Craigix)

Squidge said:
BackAssward said:
No, it's still a might. Remember: I'm not official. I know about the same as the rest of you here. Craigix is the only one with all the information (Maybe MW and Ed know more stuff too, but the main man is still Craigix)

I didn't mean to suggest you were official. Just asking if you knew more, but if you didn't know, please don't post in a way that sounds like a fact.

BackAssward said:
I didn't mean to suggest you were official. Just asking if you knew more, but if you didn't know, please don't post in a way that sounds like a fact.

Squidge said:
Since the Pandora is being shipped from both the UK and USA, I'm going to guess that the UK shipped ones will be with a UK plug, and the USA ones with a USA-friendly plug such as a europlug. If you live elsewhere with another plug type I'm sure you can find an appropriate cable or adaptor :)

Taking a second look at Squidge`s post, And noting the bold and underlined parts of it, I would like to know how you came to the conclusion that Squidge was stating anything that sounded like facts ?, Because my reading of his post gave me the impression he was taking a guess, Though i could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Trooper

I hope it come with the standart 2 pins plug... that fit in every europe country except for UK.

trooper: I think he might mean the bit that says "Since the Pandora is being shipped from both the UK and USA". I really should have said "Since the Pandora might be shipped from both the UK and USA". I was going from Craigs previous post, and completely forgot it was a "might".

My bad. Unless trooper knows something I don't of course... :)

(Sheesh this forum is difficult in the run up to release - can't people just take everything with a sprinkling of salt unless its from a reliable person?)

craigix said:

trooper said:
Taking a second look at Squidge`s post, And noting the bold and underlined parts of it, I would like to know how you came to the conclusion that Squidge was stating anything that sounded like facts ?, Because my reading of his post gave me the impression he was taking a guess, Though i could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Trooper

You bolded the wrong part, let me re bold for you. I hope you're not just being a troll. Do you see it now, Squidge never made a guess on the delivery points, he made a statement of fact. You conveniently shifted the focus to the "I'm going to guess that the UK shipped ones will be with a UK plug" statement which had absolutely nothing to do with the delivery source. I call that dishonest and misleading.

Edit: to be fair, I only asked if he knew better, that it was official that the US orders would be shipped from the US, given he said they would. Then I was ok when he said he didn't know... then others decided they wanted to post.

Personally, I would have just said "citation required" or "source?" rather than asking if its official. After all, I'm not in any way, official. Now, if Michael or Evildragon said it, it would have been a different story.

Back