Pandora classic and android

mrbonesisone

Still Fresh
Hi, i really want to buy a Pandora but the price is limiting me :/ .. so i am thinking of buying a classic edition.

In the dragonbox shop it say's that running android on the classic edition is not recommended due to 3d graphics, but are you still able to run android for some of the more basic apps in 2D? .. also what are the classic editions limitations in terms of running multiple programs on the desktop? will i be able to browse the net and program at the same time. basically is the difference between the 1GHz edition and the classic edition large enough that i should save up for 1GHz. ?

thanks for any help :)

I run Android on my classic Pandora and it runs many things very well with an overclock to 800Mhz, have a look at this thread for an indication of what runs well on a classic Pandora.

IMHO at current price levels the classic Pandora offers far greater value for money that the rebirth edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks :) .. also do you know if anything and everything to do with pogramming works on the classic ? (can it run IDE's for all languages and compile code and such)

From what you've said, you may be better with the Rebirth unit if the price factor is the problem. Basicaly the limiting factor for Android and for multi-tasking is the RAM so the 512MB helps a lot in these situations.

The 1GHz is good to squeeze a bit more performance out of emulatos such as Mupen64 and recently DraStic and general usage is apparently a little snappier.

ok thanks :) .. also do you know if anything and everything to do with pogramming works on the classic ? (can it run IDE's for all languages and compile code and such)
If you go for a classic Pandora I would recommend creating a swap file - that should help handling resource hungry IDEs

From what you've said, you may be better with the Rebirth unit if the price factor is the problem. Basicaly the limiting factor for Android and for multi-tasking is the RAM so the 512MB helps a lot in these situations.

The 1GHz is good to squeeze a bit more performance out of emulatos such as Mupen64 and recently DraStic and general usage is apparently a little snappier.
Price is a big factor lol, im a student with no income :p ..... but i was merely wondering about android on it. if the classic was able to run an internet browser and an IDE at the same time...

If you go for a classic Pandora I would recommend creating a swap file - that should help handling resource hungry IDEs
So you can run IDE's for languages such as java and C+ ? thats all i would mainly run :)

Price is a big factor lol, im a student with no income :p ..... but i was merely wondering about android on it. if the classic was able to run an internet browser and an IDE at the same time...
Do you plan on using Android for this ? Why not use the Pandoras OS, there are plenty of browser available (but if you want to use Firefox, a swap file is a must) ?

So you can run IDE's for languages such as java and C+ ? thats all i would mainly run :)
It heavily depends on your skills on bringing the appropriate IDE on the Pandora, but C++ should be covered with

CodeBlocks (or see the dev category)

It can run an IDE and a browser a the same time, but I would try to run one of the more streamlined browsers and enable a swap drive.

There is a Codeblocks PND which comes with the compiler - the PND is reaching 1GB in size these days :p

Depends how you want to code as well .. big fancy IDE is heavy on RAM, or just a shell with emacs? using a usb keyboard, or perhaps ssh'ing in from another box with pandora for standalone in a pinch, etc?

A classic edition has a little less RAM (which can be painful in some cases), but is not too different CPU wise; a little slower in the GPU department for 3d.

But recall.. it was not so long ago when 250MB of RAM was considered quite a bit; we used to pay thousands for a laptop to do development on that had 128MB of RAM, and ran BSED or Linux on it all the same :) So a 256MB Pandora is pretty beefy by a lot of standards.. but if you want to try to run a big java IDE say, you're boned :)

Myself, I use emacs and gcc/python on device no problem (though the keyboard can be pinchy for on device coding .. braces etc :) .. but it very much depends what you want to do.

jeff

Back