Pandora "console" Version

I wouldn't have purchased the Pandora if it didn't have a keyboard. If you had a GP2X and tried to play any of the computer emulators, you realize from the start how easier it would be with a keyboard, and I'm very interested in portable Amiga/C64/Apple 2.

Microsoft, I like Windows but I don't like the app support. Can you make it so that my computer doesn't support keyboards?

For the O/P - It would be possible (read POSSIBLE NOT EASY) to hack a beagleboard or similiar omap device into a GBA and then hack a small LCD TV screen into that case, rewire the batteries, write interface for the buttons, and have exactly what you want.

I'd even do that for you, for the price of parts + my time.

OK NINJA

- Not the greatest, just okay.

sverm said:
There was an idea kicked around some time ago about a pandora-based STB called "Pandora Cube"
They apparently meant "console as in not a PC" version, not "console as in not a handheld version"

Next thing you know, someone will come in asking for a "console as in not GUI" version.

Last edited by a moderator:
jb0yx said:
Slightly O/T from this discussion but down the same general road. Don't think this needs it's own thread here.

does the icontrol pad peeps have a forum anywhere? I'd like to see like a modified version of the icontrol pad with the nubs, controls, keyboard as a bluetooth accessory for use with hometheater pc's devices without keyboards and stuff of that nature. basically a pandora without all the bells and whistles and the screen.

The icontrol pad doesn't have a keyboard!
I have a solution for you!

Bluetooth 2.0 adapter from dealextreme.com (if you don't have one yet) $2!!!!!!
Wiimote+Classic controller OR other random bluetooth/Wireless game controller

Willrandship said:
jb0yx said:
snip...
I'd like to see like a modified version of the icontrol pad with the nubs, controls, keyboard as a bluetooth accessory
snip...

The icontrol pad doesn't have a keyboard!
I have a solution for you!

Bluetooth 2.0 adapter from dealextreme.com (if you don't have one yet) $2!!!!!!
Wiimote+Classic controller OR other random bluetooth/Wireless game controller
snipped and bolded for easy reading...

that's not really what I was looking for, I do have a solution that kinda works. Xbox 360 controller with keyboard accessory attached. Not really something I'd want to carry in my pocket.

Didn't see an official place (anywhere on the internets) where this product is being discussed, I know OP has their fingers in alot of it.

EDIT: just to help get my point accross better, how many times have you seen "pandora alternatives" and the first thing people say is "oh that doesn't have game controls" or "oh that doesn't have a keyboard" .... well... why not make a version of the pandora/iconrolpad that is just a keyboard and controls? And make it bluetooth for compatibility.

EDIT2: basically take this http://www.frogpad.com/ .... and remove the fail... and give it some pandora lovin

Guess if you was going to do something like that then I feel they would have to up the spec to compete in the market that's sure to explode, even if only by the power of smart phones with slide out keyboards.

The reason I think the power is ok as it is currently is, is because of the market it fit's in.
It's also what current mobile tech can emulate. I don't think a more powerful processor would give you a lot more scope for emulation e.g your not going to get ps2. Custom games, sure extra power would help if you was a large software house who could take advantage of it.
As for the non gaming tasks, it has just enough power to do most of them comfortably, so it has the power to handle the market it's after.
Change the market (by removing either keyboard or gaming controls) and I think it will have a lot harder time with competing products, even if by their nature their not open (until jailbroken or wot not).

Back