Pandora Emulator(emulate The Pandora Itself)?

stustaff

I know this may seem daft but bare with me for a few moments.

Would it be possible to create a Pandora Emu?

Basically to be able to play any game or file on that would work on the pandora but on my PC?

There are I think going to be some great games fr pandora that I would like to play on a laptop or PC but im not the kind of guy who can set up some crazy 'environment X86' stuff

Is a user friendly pandora Emu posible to create so the homebrew etc can be played on a laptop?

Probably possible to port anything that runs on the Pandora to a PC (or whatever) as long as the source code of the game (or whatever) is open source.

From a hardware standpoint you may want to look at the qemu project. There is some armv7-a cortex-a8 support already (not sure about licensing), and you will need to see how you could add the pandora's other hardware into the qemu libraries. It may save time and be better then starting from scratch.

There is a little work going toward a x86 version of the Gentoo operating systems for the pandora so that high-level configurations and support can be conducted, but nothing has been released.

Given the power of the Pandora itself, emulation on current x86 machines is going to approach impossible for all but the simplest of tasks.
Combined with Wookie's argument that pretty much everything should be open source and therefore potentially runable on PC anyway (with exceptions for pure ARM code for speed reasons) makes the idea of a Pandora emulator moot.

WizardStan said:
Given the power of the Pandora itself, emulation on current x86 machines is going to approach impossible for all but the simplest of tasks.
Combined with Wookie's argument that pretty much everything should be open source and therefore potentially runable on PC anyway (with exceptions for pure ARM code for speed reasons) makes the idea of a Pandora emulator moot.
Im sorry but your completely missing the point, It doesnt render it moot at all.

What Im asking is for a simple front end that would allow me to play a game made for Pandora on my PC, your saying because its possible(not for most people however) to port a game then its not worth while?

Well rather than having to port every game myself(impossible) or hope every game gets ported by someone else(highly unlikely) then having a simple front end that could play Pandora games 'AS IS' would be much simpler and better! I also think it would be great for the company create a larger audience for the games and generally be a good thing.

I imagine someone downloading a 'virtual Pandora' and some games and then thinking great.. and I can buy one of these that plays THIS and its portable...where do I get it.

Seems a simple good thing to me.

Now if its impossible? thats a different matter of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
If everyone uses the libraries, the qemu should get you at least someway towards where you want to go.

If people ignore the libraries and hack the hardware directly (not recommended as this is a multitasking system) then it becomes a lot more difficult, and unlikely to happen.

Theres already a qemu system setup, as this topic has been discussed before.

Don't expect the same performance on the PC and Pandora however.

Back