Pandora Pandora Emulator Frontend

Tiptup300 said:
Lars said:
Aimless_E said:
Question: is who is going to update and maintain the DB for each emulator? :)
Everyone! If you have a rom thats unknown you can simply choose to post it to the db, wiki-ish (ofc with the ability to fix false entries etc)

That's the way I was thinking, but I hadn't even thought of using Gamestop or anything like that. Although I don't believe they have any APIs or anything for that information. I'm not a fan of scraping.

Who said anything about Gamestop? :blink: We make our own db ofc, or am I missing something? :p

Just realised; if you replaced Gamestop with wiki it could make sense, neh, I don't know, I'm giving up :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lars said:
Tiptup300 said:
Lars said:
Aimless_E said:
Question: is who is going to update and maintain the DB for each emulator? :)
Everyone! If you have a rom thats unknown you can simply choose to post it to the db, wiki-ish (ofc with the ability to fix false entries etc)

That's the way I was thinking, but I hadn't even thought of using Gamestop or anything like that. Although I don't believe they have any APIs or anything for that information. I'm not a fan of scraping.

Who said anything about Gamestop? :blink: We make our own db ofc, or am I missing something? :p

Just realised; if you replaced Gamestop with wiki it could make sense, neh, I don't know, I'm giving up :D

Erm, gamespot

gamestop
gamespot

See how you can easily mess that up?

@TipTup300

I'm getting a file not found error.

@everyone
I've been really busy at work the last couple of days, but I will have sometime this week...I hope. I'll see if I can get a video of what I have by the end of the week.

I will be holding off on the DB downloads until after I have the pandora in hand. I can make alot of assumtions about how the pandora will work, but I want to worry about the scanners and the interface first.

And lets face it, we don't even know how many emulators will be avaible at launch. So a good setup is paramount.

zibzy6.jpg

a suggested splash screen...

I tried experimenting with some animations, but I haven't decided which looks best yet. Feel free to use the picture as you please

Aimless_E said:
@Tiptup300

I'm getting a file not found error.

@everyone
I've been really busy at work the last couple of days, but I will have sometime this week...I hope. I'll see if I can get a video of what I have by the end of the week.

I will be holding off on the DB downloads until after I have the pandora in hand. I can make alot of assumtions about how the pandora will work, but I want to worry about the scanners and the interface first.

And lets face it, we don't even know how many emulators will be avaible at launch. So a good setup is paramount.
http://www.fileqube.com/shared/yBcHSLhm158911

@TipTup300

I think I'm missing a few pngs I don't seem to have the shadow for the Main Menu or a dark-enough png for the Side bar. I'll make due with what I have and post a list of what and where I'm using it so you can correct me. :)

@enigmacipher

At present I'm going to try to make it streamlined enough to not use a splash screen, but if I need one I'll use yours.

Aimless_E said:
@Tiptup300

I think I'm missing a few pngs I don't seem to have the shadow for the Main Menu or a dark-enough png for the Side bar. I'll make due with what I have and post a list of what and where I'm using it so you can correct me. :)

@enigmacipher

At present I'm going to try to make it streamlined enough to not use a splash screen, but if I need one I'll use yours.
Hmm, that's odd. Which shadow are you referring to? And also, the side bar may have effects on it, I'll check real fast.

Under the "Sort By" dropdown (I assume it's dropdown and not simply click to cycle options?), I'd like to suggest a "Show" dropdown. When sorting by console, the options for show would be "All" and whatever consoles you have. When sorting by date, the options would be "All" and decades. This way if you have a hundred NES games, you don't have to scroll past all that to get to your PlayStation games.

I also think it makes more sense to have a database with metadata about each game than to encase each game in a custom archive. Thoughts?

iain.dalton said:
Under the "Sort By" dropdown (I assume it's dropdown and not simply click to cycle options?), I'd like to suggest a "Show" dropdown. When sorting by console, the options for show would be "All" and whatever consoles you have. When sorting by date, the options would be "All" and decades. This way if you have a hundred NES games, you don't have to scroll past all that to get to your PlayStation games.
I don't believe you were looking at the right mockup. The newest version is here. I was also thinking about the controls Aimless, I was thinking

Bottom Action Button (X): Select game (pull up sidebar)
Right Action Button (B): Back
Left Action Button (A): Quick Jump through the categories
Top Action Button (Y): Change sort

Tiptup300 said:
iain.dalton said:
I don't believe you were looking at the right mockup. The newest version is here. I was also thinking about the controls Aimless, I was thinking

Right Action Button ("B"): Back

Key mapping (in the end) will have to be determined by the feel of the hardware (I should have signed up for the prototype). But, I like it so far.

The shadow png I was asking about is found on the main menu screen. Its not nessasary but it looks nice. On the "game_library" screen I'm lacking the "sort button" icon.

What fonts are you using and where.

I'll post a youtube video very soon to make sure everyone is happy with the current development.

I like the style of that last one, but the Z is kind of hard to make out. Maybe if the side cuts were just a little deeper it might be easier to read. I don't know.

Not trying to knock your efforts, just trying to be helpful.

Tiptup300 said:
I don't believe you were looking at the right mockup. The newest version is here.

I did see that mockup. I was suggesting a change to it, which I didn't seem to make clear. Here's a mockup of what I mean:

This way, if you have a hundred thousand Atari games, you don't have to scroll through them all to get to the Genesis games.

iain.dalton said:
Tiptup300 said:
I don't believe you were looking at the right mockup. The newest version is here.

I did see that mockup. I was suggesting a change to it, which I didn't seem to make clear. Here's a mockup of what I mean:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4427/menu1wk0.png

This way, if you have a hundred thousand Atari games, you don't have to scroll through them all to get to the Genesis games.

looks good :D

Tiptup300 said:
iain.dalton said:

It would just jump to the next console.

Tiptup300 said:
iain.dalton said:

Should be:

Bottom Action Button (A): Select game (pull up sidebar)
Right Action Button (B ): Back
Left Action Button (X): Quick Jump through the categories

I'm really liking this project! I've been after a multiple-emulator launcher for years, since the Xbox scene started.

May I suggest a new name for your program though?

Earth

Semantic meaning behind the name:

What is Earth? Well, it's the launch platform for absolutely everything - it's the starting point for our dreams of flight, of space travel and it's the place we all return to after every adventure. It's also the container for absolutely everything, ever that is familiar to us as human beings including the things we have created or manipulated.

In other words: A universal emulator launcher, and a visual archive ;)

You probably wouldn't get away with calling a commerical company or project by the name of Earth - but open source is probably a different situation... so grab it first!

Edit: Okay, so now there's a shoe company (called Earth)... doesn't matter really does it?

Back