Pandora Pandora Emulator Frontend

Mithrildor said:
Bottom Action Button (A): Select game (pull up sidebar)
Right Action Button (B ): Back
Left Action Button (X): Quick Jump through the categories
Top Action Button (Y): Change sort
Why not have the sidebar show whichever game the cursor is on? Either touching the screen or scrolling with the D-pad would select a game. A would launch it.

Here's an alternate layout: after selecting what to sort by (console, genre, date, etc.), present a list of the categories (Atari 2600, Genesis, etc.). Scroll through them with the D-pad, and select one with A. B will return to this list. Once you press A, you are presented with a list of games in that category. L and R will switch to the previous and next categories (if you're viewing Arcade games, L will take you to the list of Amiga games and R will take you to the list of Atari games). Choosing a different sort criteria at this point will return you to the list of categories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mithrildor said:
Tiptup300 said:
iain.dalton said:
Under the "Sort By" dropdown (I assume it's dropdown and not simply click to cycle options?), I'd like to suggest a "Show" dropdown. When sorting by console, the options for show would be "All" and whatever consoles you have. When sorting by date, the options would be "All" and decades. This way if you have a hundred NES games, you don't have to scroll past all that to get to your PlayStation games.
I don't believe you were looking at the right mockup. The newest version is here. I was also thinking about the controls Aimless, I was thinking

Bottom Action Button (X): Select game (pull up sidebar)
Right Action Button (B): Back
Left Action Button (A): Quick Jump through the categories

Should be:

http://openpandora.org/bigone.jpg

Unless you feel like physically moving the buttons, that won't exactly work out. :p

ashdjones said:
I'm really liking this project! I've been after a multiple-emulator launcher for years, since the Xbox scene started.

May I suggest a new name for your program though?

Earth

Semantic meaning behind the name:

What is Earth? Well, it's the launch platform for absolutely everything - it's the starting point for our dreams of flight, of space travel and it's the place we all return to after every adventure. It's also the container for absolutely everything, ever that is familiar to us as human beings including the things we have created or manipulated.

In other words: A universal emulator launcher, and a visual archive ;)

You probably wouldn't get away with calling a commerical company or project by the name of Earth - but open source is probably a different situation... so grab it first!

Edit: Okay, so now there's a shoe company (called Earth)... doesn't matter really does it?
Maybe not Earth, but "Urf" sounds pretty cool and looks nice.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/5617/deletexc4.png

I dunno...

iain.dalton said:
Mithrildor said:
Why not have the sidebar show whichever game the cursor is on? Either touching the screen or scrolling with the D-pad would select a game. A would launch it.

Here's an alternate layout: after selecting what to sort by (console, genre, date, etc.), present a list of the categories (Atari 2600, Genesis, etc.). Scroll through them with the D-pad, and select one with A. B will return to this list. Once you press A, you are presented with a list of games in that category. L and R will switch to the previous and next categories (if you're viewing Arcade games, L will take you to the list of Amiga games and R will take you to the list of Atari games). Choosing a different sort criteria at this point will return you to the list of categories.

There will be one and only one list. It will be the list.

Anytime you hit the Left Action Button (sorry I can't stand not saying X, I really hate the naming of the buttons on the pandora. >_>) (This would be the X button of the 360 controller or dreamcast.) It would go to the next category by which it's sorting (Year, console, creator) If the X button (i'm just calling it X, even though it's not really the X button), is held down a sublist of just the categories would pop up. Here's a mockup:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6560/deleteee1.png

What do you think Aimless_E?

I am really digging these ideas! A problem I have when searching for the right game to play is the amount of time it takes to decide what to play. I usually pull out my GP2X wanting to play a game of a certain genre, ie schump, rpg, plaformer, etc. Then it takes me a while to locate the game in the correct emulator. I don't usually pick a game based on the title or platform.

It would be cool if we can group the games into categories and not just consoles. This may have already been discussed. Think of how great this would be if using a emulator with over 1,000 games like Mame or FBA.

:lol:

Tiptup300 said:
Mithrildor said:
Tiptup300 said:
iain.dalton said:
Under the "Sort By" dropdown (I assume it's dropdown and not simply click to cycle options?), I'd like to suggest a "Show" dropdown. When sorting by console, the options for show would be "All" and whatever consoles you have. When sorting by date, the options would be "All" and decades. This way if you have a hundred NES games, you don't have to scroll past all that to get to your PlayStation games.
I don't believe you were looking at the right mockup. The newest version is here. I was also thinking about the controls Aimless, I was thinking

Right Action Button (B): Back
Left Action Button (A): Quick Jump through the categories

Should be:

http://openpandora.org/bigone.jpg

Unless you feel like physically moving the buttons, that won't exactly work out. :p

ashdjones said:
I'm really liking this project! I've been after a multiple-emulator launcher for years, since the Xbox scene started.

May I suggest a new name for your program though?

Earth

Semantic meaning behind the name:

What is Earth? Well, it's the launch platform for absolutely everything - it's the starting point for our dreams of flight, of space travel and it's the place we all return to after every adventure. It's also the container for absolutely everything, ever that is familiar to us as human beings including the things we have created or manipulated.

In other words: A universal emulator launcher, and a visual archive ;)

You probably wouldn't get away with calling a commerical company or project by the name of Earth - but open source is probably a different situation... so grab it first!

Edit: Okay, so now there's a shoe company (called Earth)... doesn't matter really does it?
Maybe not Earth, but "Urf" sounds pretty cool and looks nice.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/5617/deletexc4.png

I dunno...

iain.dalton said:
Mithrildor said:

There will be one and only one list. It will be the list.

Anytime you hit the Left Action Button (sorry I can't stand not saying X, I really hate the naming of the buttons on the pandora. >_>) (This would be the X button of the 360 controller or dreamcast.) It would go to the next category by which it's sorting (Year, console, creator) If the X button (i'm just calling it X, even though it's not really the X button), is held down a sublist of just the categories would pop up. Here's a mockup:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6560/deleteee1.png

What do you think Aimless_E?

Great! I already have the code laid out for the "Option Bar" It shouldn't be hard to add those functions to it.

How would we like to scroll through the list of games? would we rather a smooth scrolling motion, or a by page (0-15 then 15-30 then 30-45), or both?

Probably both for a way of quickly going through roms if lots are available ?

I'll go ahead and illustrate:

The main selector won't ever hit the bottom of the screen, it will stay within a range, I was thinking about a 80% range, shown here:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3888/deletepg1.png

As you can see, the selection is lined up with the red overlay. If it goes past that, everything will move up/down to line up with it. You can still move around freely within the non-red area without it scrolling the screen.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4792/deletewc7.png

I was also thinking the scroll should speed up based on how long the user has been holding in down/up. Haven't thought of any specific yet though.

It sounds like people don't like the idea of drilling down to get to their game, they just want one list. OK, works for me. How about my idea of going to the next and previous categories with the shoulder buttons instead of just X going to the next? Also I think the sidebar should show whatever game is highlighted; one should not have to press A to update the sidebar.

I actually forgot the Pandora will have shoulders. I'd much rather have those then the logical X button.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean "Also I think the sidebar should show whatever game is highlighted; one should not have to press A to update the sidebar."

EDIT: The sorting could also work the same way as the category. Hold Y and all the different sorting things would pop up. And also, instead of holding X to list out the cats. how bout you just press both L + R.

Tiptup300 said:
I'm not 100% sure what you mean "Also I think the sidebar should show whatever game is highlighted; one should not have to press A to update the sidebar."
Earlier you suggested the button assignment:

Does this refer to the sidebar that's always on the left, or a different sidebar?
Tiptup300 said:
EDIT: The sorting could also work the same way as the category. Hold Y and all the different sorting things would pop up. And also, instead of holding X to list out the cats. how bout you just press both L + R.
What do you mean "list out the cats", and why would holding both shoulders be better than assigning it a button? That only seems to complicate matters.

I could honestly care less about the skin (Its important) I care more about a program that can automatically parse whatever directories you wanted and get the game information automatically from somewhere.
Even ini files with preferred settings. like for PSX games for best known configuration and little Dialog boxes informing the user what the problem may be before launching the game.

Example: Thrill kill required a very specific set of filters to be used, but the correct filters made it so you couldn't see the disclaimer screen where you had to press Square + Circle at the same time to get to the menu screen.

Once again. Emulator frontends are ONLY good, if they can parse game automatically and pull info pertaining to the rom that would help the end-user get playing with as little fuss as possible. Skins come second with front-ends

Skins may not be important, but interface layout is. Ultimately it's up to the developers to decide how it looks, but I hope my suggestions help in some way.

I'm liking this frontend thing so far. To make it even better, might I suggest a search feature, or a letter index as well?

iain.dalton said:
Skins may not be important, but interface layout is. Ultimately it's up to the developers to decide how it looks, but I hope my suggestions help in some way.
Phawx, Aimless_E is handling all that stuff. I'm just doing the interface and how everything thing works with the user.

I'm sorry, I was a bit confused as to what button you were talking about. I thought you meant X as in left action, [Did I mention I HATE the layout of the pandora's buttons?] Okay, let me lay this out.

[Note: [obviously] none of this is final]
When you open ZiB you will come to a main menu with some basic options such as:

- Game Library
- Manage Emulators
- Manage Roms
- Edit ZiB Settings
- Quit

There are three main parts of the main screen. The Info bar to the left, the games listing (center), and the sidebar which pops up when needed (right). I think you're confusing what I"m saying because I keep saying different buttons/names of the bars. heh.

You open game library to a list of all your roms all in one big list seperated by categories such as alphabetical, genre, console, console maker, publisher, developer, etc. You can just go manually scroll the list to find the game you want, or press [Left Action Button] to switch which categories it's sorted by OR you can hold the [Left Action Button] to bring up a list of all the sorting methods and press up/down to switch it at the fly. Once you choose the correct sorting style, you can press L/R to quickly jump up/down to the next/previous category. Once you finally get to the rom you want, you press the [Bottom Action Button] and the sidebar will pop up and stay up until you hit the [Right Action Button] to close it. While in the sidebar you use up/down to select the appropriate action.

Now, did I clear things up? Sorry for the confusion I was causing on my part.

Tiptup300 said:
There are three main parts of the main screen. The Info bar to the left, the games listing (center), and the sidebar which pops up when needed (right).

OK, I was confusing the info bar with the sidebar. Speaking of the two, can't you combine them? It looks like there's room, but OTOH it would be bad to clutter it. If you did combine them, you'd have one-click launching, though it doesn't much matter.
Tiptup300 said:
...press [Left Action Button] to switch which categories it's sorted by OR you can hold the [Left Action Button] to bring up a list of all the sorting methods and press up/down to switch it at the fly.

How fast will this app redisplay after changing the sorting mode? I can't see much utility in repeatedly pressing [Left Action] to switch to a preferred sorting style if you have to wait 1 sec for it to redisplay each time you press the button. Why not have [Left Action] bring up the menu, without having to hold it down? Of course, if redisplay is instant, never mind.

Speaking of loading time, I think this app shouldn't rescan the games directory and rebuild the database every time it starts. Only rebuild if the user selects that option. ncmpc, a media player, is a good model for this; Ctrl-U updates the database at any time, and doesn't freeze the program while it's at it.

I'd also like to ask the developers to use persistence in this program. That is, make it remember the sorting mode, what game was selected, and perhaps anything else that might be important.

iain.dalton said:
Tiptup300 said:
There are three main parts of the main screen. The Info bar to the left, the games listing (center), and the sidebar which pops up when needed (right).

OK, I was confusing the info bar with the sidebar. Speaking of the two, can't you combine them? It looks like there's room, but OTOH it would be bad to clutter it. If you did combine them, you'd have one-click launching, though it doesn't much matter.
Tiptup300 said:
...press [Left Action Button] to switch which categories it's sorted by OR you can hold the [Left Action Button] to bring up a list of all the sorting methods and press up/down to switch it at the fly.

How fast will this app redisplay after changing the sorting mode? I can't see much utility in repeatedly pressing [Left Action] to switch to a preferred sorting style if you have to wait 1 sec for it to redisplay each time you press the button. Why not have [Left Action] bring up the menu, without having to hold it down? Of course, if redisplay is instant, never mind.

Speaking of loading time, I think this app shouldn't rescan the games directory and rebuild the database every time it starts. Only rebuild if the user selects that option. ncmpc, a media player, is a good model for this; Ctrl-U updates the database at any time, and doesn't freeze the program while it's at it.

I'd also like to ask the developers to use persistence in this program. That is, make it remember the sorting mode, what game was selected, and perhaps anything else that might be important.
After hitting [Left Action] it would be instant. I don't see why it wouldn't be. :p So don't worry there. Holding it in is just another thing you can do to suit other's needs better.

Tiptup300 said:
iain.dalton said:
Tiptup300 said:

Tiptup300 said:

After hitting [Left Action] it would be instant. I don't see why it wouldn't be. :p So don't worry there. Holding it in is just another thing you can do to suit other's needs better.

Rest assured I am doing my best to limit loading times. Currently I only have the default sort coded so we should know by next week what the wait time will be.

As far as scanning for new roms/emulators. I will employ a rather simple directory check to see if it matches a file that is created after the initial scan. If there are changes it will prompt you to rescan. As far as it being non-blocking, It will depend on how fast the scanner is, and currently it is fast enough that it doesn't matter.

We still don't know the true power of the pandora (be it good or bad) so I am coding minimally now in hopes that it runs on anything we throw at it.

Now if I could get my screen recorder to work properly I would send you all a screen cast of what it looks like so far.

I like the idea of this front end for emulators, but if I think about all the different programs and such that serve similar purposes or incorporate your idea into a massive project, would all of these conflict with each other, or be a huge mess of organization programs?

CandidStan said:
I like the idea of this front end for emulators, but if I think about all the different programs and such that serve similar purposes or incorporate your idea into a massive project, would all of these conflict with each other, or be a huge mess of organization programs?

I agree, There are several programs that serve similar purposes being developed for the Pandora. And all have their merit. I have approached this project as a first step to bigger and better programs. If you read back in this thread you will see a few comments about creating a API of sorts that all emulators/programs/utilities could abide by that would allow for a more integrated approach . But, since no API exist one must start somewhere. We chose a Emulator Frontend because ,if done correctly, it would request network services from POND, and configuration/version details from the emulators. This could easily be expanded to all games and applications or reworked into a single component in someone else's launcher.

Time will tell if our little frontend will be popular enough to continue its development or if it will merely become a starting point for someone else.

Okay here's an update. Using a hp 2133 (via processor) the standard sort (alphabetical) take .04 seconds to list 6166 files and info on files. Selecting the files via keyboard(or joystick) is smooth enough. Granted we have no way of knowing how well it will work on the Pandora by I'm hopeful.

Back