Pandora Pandora Emulator Frontend

Aimless_E said:
Okay here's an update. Using a hp 2133 (via processor) the standard sort (alphabetical) take .04 seconds to list 6166 files and info on files. Selecting the files via keyboard(or joystick) is smooth enough. Granted we have no way of knowing how well it will work on the Pandora by I'm hopeful.
Maybe you can send your executable to someone with a MK2 and ask for a test... All the dev here are cooperative... ask in the Alpha section
Thank you for your work

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I've decided to cancel my order for this batch of Pandoras, but I'll definitely still help out with the art.

Tiptup300 said:
Unfortunately, I've decided to cancel my order for this batch of Pandoras, but I'll definitely still help out with the art.

Glad to hear that your still willing to help. I have almost reserved myself to making a truly PC(Windows/Linux/Mac) version of the program until I can re-order my Pandora as well. The artwork you have given me so far and the direction on how you would like it to act have been paramount in me being able to get as far as I have. If possible could you give me a mock up of the rom-manager and emu-manager screens so that I can better fullfill our vision.

Thanks,

Aimless_E said:
Tiptup300 said:

Glad to hear that your still willing to help. I have almost reserved myself to making a truly PC(Windows/Linux/Mac) version of the program until I can re-order my Pandora as well. The artwork you have given me so far and the direction on how you would like it to act have been paramount in me being able to get as far as I have. If possible could you give me a mock up of the rom-manager and emu-manager screens so that I can better fullfill our vision.

Thanks,

Sure, I'd just need more details of what all options would be available....What all would you like to do with managing roms/emuilators?

Quick suggestion as this sounds great.

When in the main screen I should be able to type to reduce the games list

eg
List starts with all games in..

Type S
list with all games with an S in it anywhere
Type U
List with all games with SU in
Type P
List with all games with SUP in
Type E
List with all games with SUPE in
Type R
List with all games with SUPER in
Type ' '
Type M
List with all games with SUPER M in

etc

slowly reduces available games through typing name will work great for navigating hundreds of roms.

While the idea of categories seems pretty unpopular, I'd still like to have different categories - At the minimum, "By system", "By developer", "By publisher", "By title", "By series" and "No categories". Navigation wise it should be similar to how stepmania does it. And of course, you should be able to change the default category to come up.

Especially the "By Series" category would be useful since I might want to play, say, all the Zelda games or Final Fantasy games, but those might have different titles (Adventure of Link, for example, do not mention Zelda in it's title) or there might be similar titles but different series (Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest). Just my 2c. :)

stustaff said:

eg

Type S
Type U
Type P
Type E
Type R
Type ' '
Type M

etc

slowly reduces available games through typing name will work great for navigating hundreds of roms.
Just like Nautilus.

Wertigon said:
While the idea of categories seems pretty unpopular, I'd still like to have different categories - At the minimum, "By system", "By developer", "By publisher", "By title", "By series" and "No categories". Navigation wise it should be similar to how stepmania does it. And of course, you should be able to change the default category to come up.

Especially the "By Series" category would be useful since I might want to play, say, all the Zelda games or Final Fantasy games, but those might have different titles (Adventure of Link, for example, do not mention Zelda in it's title) or there might be similar titles but different series (Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest). Just my 2c. :)
I don't think the category idea is unpopular, at least that's not what I was sensing from the community. I'm not so sure about the "By Series" category, too debatable.

adamorjames said:
stustaff said:

eg

Type S
Type U
Type P
Type E
Type R
Type ' '
Type M

etc

Just like Nautilus.

I agree this should be added. I'll work on a mockup of what it could look like.

Tiptup300 said:
Just like Nautilus.

Excellent, whats Nautilus?

EDIT dont worry I'll google it :)

stustaff said:
Tiptup300 said:
Just like Nautilus.

It's a file browser for linux. A lot of applications already have this functionallity, such as the Zune music software.

Tiptup300 said:
stustaff said:
Tiptup300 said:
Just like Nautilus.

It's a file browser for linux. A lot of applications already have this functionallity, such as the Zune music software.

Veryly, almost all programs that have, or could have, a large collection employ this method. To speed up searches.

if anyone is serious about putting this together you can definitly count me in for artwork.

Covers boxart etc.
:pandora1: FTW

Instead of having the list shrink in size, could the inapplicable entries merely grey out or become 75% transparent? If I make a typing mistake, I'd rather not have to fiddle with the filter controls to get to the game I want when it's only a page up away anyway.

javaJake said:
Instead of having the list shrink in size, could the inapplicable entries merely grey out or become 75% transparent? If I make a typing mistake, I'd rather not have to fiddle with the filter controls to get to the game I want when it's only a page up away anyway.
Both Ideas are viable and thus should probably be an option. That being said I am currently working with xmame 1.06s complete rom set as a basis for file creation and data aggregation. So if you don't shorten the list and type in something like "Metal Sl" you still have A-Metal Sk to contend with. Though, then again, I guess I could set it up to automatically scroll to the title that matches 100% percent of the search criteria... I will try both and see which way looks the most consistent with the rest of the look and feel. It will have to be after Christmas though.

Tiptup300 said:
Aimless_E said:
Tiptup300 said:

Thanks,

Sure, I'd just need more details of what all options would be available....What all would you like to do with managing roms/emuilators?

Manage roms

1. Scan/Rescan (this will be automatically done once but if something changes it might be nice)
2. Download Rom information (complete list)
3. Upload Rom information (complete list)

Manage Emulators

1.Scan/Rescan (same as above)
2.Download Game lists setting options/default values (implied by above)
3. Change Default settings
3a. Sub screen with available options given by above (this will be generated so a general placement mockup will suffice)

Regarding sort by various categories (like by author, series, console, genre), I for one would love this option. I think everyone will prefer different sorts though. Perhaps in preferences, you could have a toggle for which sorting options are available. Then people who only want to sort by console or genre could just have those, and others could pick and choose.

Plus, this could easily be added later, when all the important stuff is done. :) I love what I've seen so far guys, both in look and function. Thanks for taking this on.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/489/deletehc9qo0.png

Okay, heres how it could work.

You're just browsing and you want to play some sonic. So instead of hitting a unneeded key, you just hit "S". After hitting the "S" key, the current games list will clear and there will just be one category with "SEARCH: " S_ " which lists all the games with "S" in them with the "S" bolded in each.

After this you hit "o" which slims the results down a bit. And that's how i think it could work.

NOTE: I'll work on those options screens.

javaJake said:
Tiptup300, could the interface, instead of trimming games out that don't match, merely grey them out? I know I'm repeating myself but I don't want to get ignored. :p
What's the point of a search that doesn't narrow your results? If you have several hundred games and want to narrow to only your Sonic titles, graying out the other titles would not be enough to show you all your sonic titles easily. Compare this to Spotlight or Tracker or Vista's equivalent. Better, compare it to Quicksilver or Deskbar-applet.

javaJake said:
Tiptup300, could the interface, instead of trimming games out that don't match, merely grey them out? I know I'm repeating myself but I don't want to get ignored. :p
Remember, the whole point of it is to get to the exact game you want instantly. Just hit backspace to get the other results back.

Back