Pandora Flash

JackTheKnife said:
What will be the minimum of GB for OS backup? I would like to buy one card to do only OS backup on it.
You'll most likely be able download an OS image anyway, it might even come with one on a CD, no need to copy it from your device.

Last edited by a moderator:
JackTheKnife said:
What will be the minimum of GB for OS backup? I would like to buy one card to do only OS backup on it.
If you customise it then I can see the point in backing it up. 512mb would do, but unless you got one spare, that would probably cost you more than a 2gig :D

sorry to res this thread but uhm, I just recieved my 2x 32GB SDHC cards and I guess i'm going to use FAT32 on them since I looked into EXT2 on windows and there's no way to get it on Win7 yet and people said FAT32 should be fine anyway for the Pandora...

SO. what "allocation unit size" should I format them with? 16/32/64kb and 8192bytes are the options

GizmoTheGreen said:
just use default

yeah that was the first thing I tried except if I choose that I get some error saying it can't be formatted, I HAVE to select an option.

try either, i don't even rememebr what the difference is.

i think if the block size isnt tha same as the hardware (glash controller inside the sd card) is designed for it can slow down transfer speed.

Paradox said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
just use default
yeah that was the first thing I tried except if I choose that I get some error saying it can't be formatted, I HAVE to select an option.
It's an optimisation thing so it doesn't matter that much which you choose.
If I understand it correctly, if you're going to use a lot of small files, you want small blocks, and for a lot of big files, big blocks.

I don't like the idea of ejecting and inserting cards over and over in fear it will wear out, so I don't need to use a format that is compatible with 'every computer ever wrought', so ext 3 or 4 it is for me.

You could share the files over the network or the internet (i.e. send them and e-mail). If they or I want to exchange a file and they don't want/know how/can't see a shared folder on my Pandora then I'll ask to borrow one of their thumb drives, external HDs, or SD cards to move the files back and fourth.

NTFS simply won't work for me because I know a ton of Linux and OSX users. I just don't feel like I should conform to everyone else, I use Linux, none of my external HDs are formatted to Fat or NTFS or even an apple file system, they are all ext 3 or 4, my Pandora won't be any different.

I use ext2...

exposing the filessystems of the sd cards as Fat/NTFS filesystems over the USB OTG plug would be a likely option.
Maybe SAMBA?

second exodous said:
I don't like the idea of ejecting and inserting cards over and over in fear it will wear out, so I don't need to use a format that is compatible with 'every computer ever wrought', so ext 3 or 4 it is for me.

That makes no sense. Even if you plug Pandora into another computer via USB to transfer files you will still need the correct filesystem installed to use the card.

You could share the files over the network or the internet (i.e. send them and e-mail). If they or I want to exchange a file and they don't want/know how/can't see a shared folder on my Pandora then I'll ask to borrow one of their thumb drives, external HDs

That's assuming they have a home network/external hard drive or thumb drive big enough to store the large file

, or SD cards to move the files back and fourth.

Thus causing this dreaded wear and tear on your SD cards that you seem to be worried about!

Pleng said:
second exodous said:

That makes no sense. Even if you plug Pandora into another computer via USB to transfer files you will still need the correct filesystem installed to use the card.

You could share the files over the network or the internet (i.e. send them and e-mail). If they or I want to exchange a file and they don't want/know how/can't see a shared folder on my Pandora then I'll ask to borrow one of their thumb drives, external HDs

That's assuming they have a home network/external hard drive or thumb drive big enough to store the large file

, or SD cards to move the files back and fourth.

Thus causing this dreaded wear and tear on your SD cards that you seem to be worried about!

Well, you caught me, just kidding. I wasn't planning on using USB to transfer files, I would prefer to keep everything wireless. I've seen digital cameras that the SD slot was worn out, so I'm a little worried as I don't solder new parts in very well.

Your second point I said if they were able, but nearly everyone has a wireless network, so that isn't usually a problem.

The third point I meant if they don't have a wireless network, have a big enough thumb drive or external HD, and I/they really wanted to exchange files then I would borrow a SD card from them to move things around. This way I would not wear out my SD slot if I only resorted to it as a last ditch effort.

If they fail all the criteria and don't have a SD card I'll burn a CD for them when I get home, or ask them to burn a CD for me.

Really, what are the odds that if I don't format my SDs to conform to other peoples computers that I won't be able to share files with them? Very unlikely.

I dual booted my PC's for years, only using windows once or twice a year. I finally got rid of windows because I felt I couldn't justify buying the new version, XP, for using it so little and I didn't want to pirate it, so I erased my 2k install. I've lived without dual booting for years now and haven't had any troubles sharing data with non Linux users. Basically I stopped conforming to non Linux users and I want my storage on my Pandora to be able to have permissions and larger file size so ext 3 or 4 it is for me.

I think NILFS2 is going to be fastest, and safest, but I'm probably going to do some speed tests when I get mine.
Nilfs2 is a rather new, log-based filesystem, and has some interesting properties above ext. Most importantly, you can go back in time, recovering already removed or modified files. And the chance for FS/data-corruption is practically zero.

But it depends on what you want to do with the card. If you plan on taking it, and plug it into a windows-pc(or use the pandora itself as a card-reader) or other device, use FAT,UDF,or ntfs. If you plan to install the OS, or part of it, on the card, DON'T use FAT or ntfs, as not having file-permissions is going to screw you.
You can also put most of the FS in a squashfs, which is readonly, but quick and compact.

To me, FAT basically equals filesystem-corruption, so I prefer not to use that FS if possible. Too bad most devices only support FAT...

ok so has everyone forgotten that pandora has bluetooth? whats wrong with transferring wirelessly using that?

DaMummy said:
ok so has everyone forgotten that pandora has bluetooth? whats wrong with transferring wirelessly using that?
Speed - depending on size of what your copying...

Paradox said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
just use default

use the panosonic SD formatter (search Google for it) its the only formatter that complies with the sd card associations specs thus allowing you to have max performance

Tensuke said:
Also the lack of bluetooth on most desktops...

Ye this really surprises me. It can't cost that much to implement bluetooth, considering the cost of dongles, so I don't see why more desktop motherboards don't have it.

Back