Pandora For Not So Fun Uses

dokcipher

Still Fresh
Ive been following the pandora ever since all this mumbo-jumbo got started and now that its so close ive been wondering.
Can it actually act as a full blown netbook that i can take to class and take notes on? For now its either buying the pandora or a new video card for the desktop.
Im most likely going to give my laptop to my parents since their computer is slowly dying and the pandora can be that perfect that little device that can serve me for taking notes and surfing the web while at school.....or am i dreaming?

taking notes in class is a perfect task for the pandora.

iirc someone is even making a software specifically for that purpose, or he was just thinking of it.

I don't think you could take detailed notes but we'll see. I imagine it being like trying to type your notes on an iPhone... but if you don't mind taking a quick keyboard along it would work. But then you have to deal with the small screen... I honestly don't know.

The Pandora's keyboard might not be ideal for a large volume of text - There is other input like the mic and touchscreen, but if you really wanted to take notes a USB or Bluetooth keyboard as an accessory to the Pandora would be ideal. There are multiple models that fold or roll aswell.

Would it work as a replacement for a laptop for me? No. Would it work for the same type, and amount of typing you do on a smartphone? Yes. this thing comes with a qwerty keyboard, but qwerty or not, it's still tiny. the keymat pretty much fits over your palm, and fingers. This will limit the ability for "proper" typing techniques. If you got large hands you'll probably be able to get away with thumb typing, otherways you'll put it on the table in front of you, and use 2-4 finger typing. This has some drawbacks. Thumb typing is known to cause "sms thumbs" from other devices, and 2-4 finger typing is the reason why there was a correct way to type on a regular keyboard to start with. It's somewhat straining on the wrists basically.

Aside from these limitations i don't see why it wouldn't work as a laptop replacement. There will be loads of text editors available, supporting a wide array of formats, and features. If you can live with possibly not typing as fast, or if you can limit your amount of typing so it doesn't extend in to the amounts that cause you pain, then it will work just great.
(And, you could simply bring a fold, or roll up keyboard for the times when you need to do a lot of typing. That way you'd get a fullsize qwerty for when your spending hours on it, and can use your preferred typing method when your just taking notes on the built in keyboard.)
B!

GizmoTheGreen said:
taking notes in class is a perfect task for the pandora.

iirc someone is even making a software specifically for that purpose, or he was just thinking of it.

That would be me. But I need help setting up the environment for this. I'm having a hard time with SDL and the C++ examples on someone's website aren't compiling for me so I can't really test much as those are the basic methods he uses... (If one of you would like to help me, just say so)

I plan on taking advantage of the touch screen and make left hand or right hand configurations. The keyboard... not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can. The keypad works surprisingly well once you adjust to the size. Previously I'd have been a bit dubious about saying you could, but now I've been using it for a while I can confirm it's great - and silent.

craigix said:
Yes, you can. The keypad works surprisingly well once you adjust to the size. Previously I'd have been a bit dubious about saying you could, but now I've been using it for a while I can confirm it's great - and silent.

Maybe you can make a video of yourself just typing a masters thesis of the confirmation of quantum mechanics? :p (something more than "Hellolo")

I was thinking of using it for exactly the same purpose for work and study. My idea is to download the pdf or the slides I'm working on (you could use the slides of the class for instance) and then using the touchscreen and the stylus make quick-and-dirty handwritten notes on them as I see fit, similar to printing them and do it with a pen, but without the printing ;).

For that I planned to use the Xournal application, you should give it a try to see if it suits you for the task.

machielo said:
I was thinking of using it for exactly the same purpose for work and study. My idea is to download the pdf or the slides I'm working on (you could use the slides of the class for instance) and then using the touchscreen and the stylus make quick-and-dirty handwritten notes on them as I see fit, similar to printing them and do it with a pen, but without the printing ;) .

For that I planned to use the Xournal application, you should give it a try to see if it suits you for the task.

Not a bad find!

You'll definitely need a bluetooth or USB keyboard for taking notes at a decent speed. Also it won't be as powerful as a normal notebook or even a netbook. It should be able to run openoffice but remember that the screen estate is limited.

Personally I would probably just use a light test editor. Something like AbiWord might be a good start. Lyx should also be a really good choice if you're into latex.

The plus size is that it has good battery life (and you can even carry an extra battery, they aren't that big or expensive). And yes it will definitely work fine for some basic text input / editing if you have a good keyboard.

It should be fine for some web browsing. Just remember that you won't have flash support (well it might appear in the future but I wouldn't bet on it).

You probably know this but just to be clear the Pandora can't run any windows software. So if that's important to you get a windows netbook (or linux netbook with wine if that work well enough)

If you think you can take notes on a keypad the size of a Nintendo DS's lower half, why not?
It'll come with a simple text editor installed by default, and I hear AbiWord works well on the BeagleBoard hardware, which uses the same processor/RAM/graphics. With Abiword you should have some Microsoft .doc compatibility (probably not 100%).

Kloplop321 said:
craigix said:

Maybe you can make a video of yourself just typing a masters thesis of the confirmation of quantum mechanics? :p (something more than "Hellolo")

That's the difference between thesis and taking notes :D
Would be nice seeing someone type in anger though.
I was thinking about being able to take some notes using touchscreen but holding it vertically. I've not got around to seeing what is currently out there, rather not have to do my own one.

A video of typing and more boring 'office' stuff is in the works.

The nice thing about the Pandora is that you can thumb type on it in many places where typing on a laptop/netbook would be impossible, or at least very cramped/difficult.

You can just take the Pandora out your inside pocket (where I keep mine), flip it open, thumb type, close, put away. I really like that.

Also on a train or bus you don't need a flip down table.

It's a weird mix of the convenience of a phone but the input of a netbook.

I'm so glad we went with a keyboard. I cannot wait to see what you chaps think of it.

Wheels said:
If you think you can take notes on a keypad the size of a Nintendo DS's lower half, why not?
It'll come with a simple text editor installed by default, and I hear AbiWord works well on the BeagleBoard hardware, which uses the same processor/RAM/graphics. With Abiword you should have some Microsoft .doc compatibility (probably not 100%).

most likely not .docx (hate it.)

would it be possible to compile open office for the pandora? I mean, i could most likely use google docs for powerpoints and whatnot but imagine having open office on that thing, zomg.

O:-|| takes a while to open up even on my dual-core 1.6Ghz laptop. I have no idea how zippy/non-zippy it would be on Pandora hardware. Maybe one of the devs has tried it?

powerpoint/pdf/doc/docx support would be ideal. my old htc phone can do microsoft office apps, the pandora should be able to support all that stuff, right????

dokcipher said:
powerpoint/pdf/doc/docx support would be ideal. my old htc phone can do microsoft office apps, the pandora should be able to support all that stuff, right????
As OO.O is partly Java, there shouldn't be any problem preparing it for the pandora. Docx is semi-supported but last I checked it isn't perfect.

PDF should be no problem, there's no shortage of Linux programs that can display, create, and/or edit them. Impress, O:-||'s slide show program, can handle Powerpoint files to an extent. I know Google Docs can do .docx, if O:-|| can't work out for the Pandora.
Thing is, your old phone may have used some proprietary code to support all those formats. Was it running Windows Mobile?

Back