Pandora + iControlPad =

Grench

Forum Addict!
Hey OpenPandora - the iControlPad is great for games, but I want a bluetooth handheld keypad/controller with full functions...

Use the full Pandora control setup with keymat, numbers, etc... all of it.

Make it Bluetooth ala iControlPad.

Let me connect my Pandora's TV cable (coming soon?) and leave the Pandora with the TV across the room - and control it from the couch.

While you're at it - put a 4 position switch on the back of this new handheld keyboard/controller combo so that I can have it paired with up to 4 devices and select which one I want it to talk to. That way it can control my Pandora OR my HTPC OR my Tablet OR my Phone.

Could you power it with AA batteries too so I can just swap out my rechargeable batteries instead of docking the thing?

So - you have a great bluetooth control setup going - why not use the same parts that you're using on the two existing devices to make something like this?

Thank you!

Doesn't sound like something too Pandora specific. Sounds like you're just looking for a bluetooth keyboard/mouse/gamepad combo which can link to multiple devices.

Doesn't sound like something too Pandora specific. Sounds like you're just looking for a bluetooth keyboard/mouse/gamepad combo which can link to multiple devices.

I'd say it's pretty Pandora specific - it would be the entire control surface of a Pandora (nubs, pads, numbers & letters) int the same layout using the same mechanical parts as a Pandora. It would need a simplified board, a bluetooth radio, a case and a bump to hold one or two AA batteries.

Think of it as a Pandora branded bluetooth keyboard if you want.

are we not starting to get ahead of ourselfs here

Ahead of what?

Sounds like a project for when the German production is going smoothly!

But my guess is that it would be quite easy, (just modify what we already have) but I think a better plan would be to make a pandora battery charger (a charging chip, a psp charger socket, a slot in the top, ), then you buy a couple of Pandora batteries.

• you could plug in your BT Pandora keyboard to charge,
  • you could swap in the one you have charging
  • you could swap in the one you charged while it was in the device
  • you you connect/charge over USB maybe (from the pandora)
  • O noos! My Pandora has a dead battery! I know! I'll use the one from my Bluetooth keyboard

Anyway 4Ah should be plenty for a BT keyboard?

hopefully, both should be quite cheap

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be sweet to have ICP setup to replace Pandora controller when in TV-Out mode universally somehow. Or allow two ICPs to be setup as controller 1 & 2 in TV Out mode.

But my guess is that it would be quite easy, (just modify what we already have) but I think a better plan would be to make a pandora battery charger (a charging chip, a psp charger socket, a slot in the top, ), then you buy a couple of Pandora batteries.

• O noos! My Pandora has a dead battery! I know! I'll use the one from my Bluetooth keyboard

Or you could just have a pair of AA batteries costing $2 each if you buy rechargables for your remotes - that would be the same as the ones in your Wii remotes, TV & Stereo Remotes, Roku remote, etc...

Using the gigantic battery in the Pandora -and- requiring the device to be left on a USB charger, IMHO - those make it less likely to be used. How many remotes do you have that you have to get up off the couch, unplug from their charger - then get up and plug back in when you're done?

The main idea is a bluetooth remote control for the Pandora console - without loosing any functionality. Keeping it light weight - a pair of AA seems about right to me. The Pandora console battery seems way way overkill for something like this.

Or you could just have a pair of AA batteries costing $2 each if you buy rechargables for your remotes - that would be the same as the ones in your Wii remotes, TV & Stereo Remotes, Roku remote, etc...

Using the gigantic battery in the Pandora -and- requiring the device to be left on a USB charger, IMHO - those make it less likely to be used. How many remotes do you have that you have to get up off the couch, unplug from their charger - then get up and plug back in when you're done?

The main idea is a bluetooth remote control for the Pandora console - without loosing any functionality. Keeping it light weight - a pair of AA seems about right to me. The Pandora console battery seems way way overkill for something like this.

Probably depends on the place, if you are traveling (plug you Pandora into a hotel TV) and don't want to fork out on some rip-off batteries when yours go dead, a single set of batteries might be helpful, but at home, some LR6s might be best.

What about an integrated charging circuit, so that you could plug in your pandora-keyboard to charge standard 'AA' rechargeables, or use any other 'AA' size batteries in it. I have seen this does with a portable CD player I had, so it is possible.

Best of both worlds :)

Back