Pandora Infra Red For Universal Remote.

got_wot

Still Fresh
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/03/redeye-mini-headphone-jack-dongle-turns-any-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad-into-a-universal-remote/

This is designed for the iPhone/iPod touch but from a friend involved with the project it's for the most part a generic IR transmitter/reciever module connected to the 3.5MM jack.
The iPhone/iPod Touch can use this to transmit/recieve IR signals so most of what you're paying for here is the time needed to develop the software.

My question is, is the Pandora capable of using the jack for data in a similar fashion, and is there any open source universal remote software for Linux? If not I'd have have a crack at developing my own but without the jack data it would be a waste of time.

Does anyone know / would be interested in something like this?

Not sure about this one. There are definitely others interested as I'm sure I've seen several other topics started on this...

If no off-the-shelf products work I don't think it'd be too hard to hack some IR gear into the Pandora.

The Pandora has 2 UARTs so why would one use a jack to transmit data to an IR trasnmitter?

Last edited by a moderator:
CodeTwister said:
The Pandora has 2 UARTs so why would one use a jack to transmit data to an IR trasnmitter?

Because the product and the 3.5mm jack already exist and don't require soldering or a breakout board or an EXT port adapter?

many topics about this. why not get a USB IR Transceiver? there's really tiny ones out there

got_wot said:
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/03/redeye-mini-headphone-jack-dongle-turns-any-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad-into-a-universal-remote/

This is designed for the iPhone/iPod touch but from a friend involved with the project it's for the most part a generic IR transmitter/reciever module connected to the 3.5MM jack.
The iPhone/iPod Touch can use this to transmit/recieve IR signals so most of what you're paying for here is the time needed to develop the software.

My question is, is the Pandora capable of using the jack for data in a similar fashion, and is there any open source universal remote software for Linux? If not I'd have have a crack at developing my own but without the jack data it would be a waste of time.

Does anyone know / would be interested in something like this?

I would like to have such a device for the Pandora. HOWEVER, do you realize where the headphone jack of the Pandora is?
The only remotely possible way (pun intended) to use the P via the jack as an remote, would be to hold it at the display and point the keyboard to the TV. :)
It would be better to think about using the GP2x, which has the jack on top, for that. As my GP2x will be getting less and less used when the P arrives that might be something to think about.

If you want to do this as a project or for fun go for it but if it's just to get a cheap universal remote then IMHO the best way is to grab a second hand Palm M100 off ebay and get NoviiRemote Lite for it.

WhiteBat said:
many topics about this. why not get a USB IR Transceiver? there's really tiny ones out there

This makes the most sense to me, the port is located at the back as well after all.

PhillipJ said:
Because the product and the 3.5mm jack already exist and don't require soldering or a breakout board or an EXT port adapter?

The EXT port already exists, the connector should be standard and AFAIK there are several IrDA chips on the marked which simply connect to UART. So soldering is minimal - just connect existing devices. I guess it's also simpler to develop the "driver", but I'm not sure how this jack thingie works in detail.

Anyhow, if I read something about adding IrDA to a phone/handheld just to use it as universal remote control - then I think about people which also have fun in building these gizmos. Other people would simply buy a remote in the next shop.

Back