Painting Homebrew For Pandora

Looking good so far, but it could use some more antialiasing...

BTW, as I said, I'm also working on an implementation of this, but I'll only demo something once it's more complete (I'm setting the goal to make more than just a paint program ^^)

good job ^^

is it possible to have other ways to choose the colors?
for example 3 bars for the red, green and blue values.
and possibly, bars for the luminosity, hue and saturation (very useful to paint an object more lighted on a part than on an other part)

an other question
on your prototpe is there the possibility to choose if the thickness is controlled by pressure or by a constant value, or not?

This looks like its going to be really useful, great job!

I too was wondering if alternate ways to choose the colors are possible. I have really grown attached to the color wheel with triangle as used in Colors! on the DS, and wish Photoshop had something similar, it would be stellar if yours had something similar as well. Also if you were interested I had asked the devs of Colors! if they would share their source for a Pandora port way back in the day, they said yes, so maybe they would be willing to share it just for the sake of it if you ask nicely, though it looks like you definitely need no help.

dflemstr said:
Looking good so far, but it could use some more antialiasing...
Yep, I agree. I'm not using images as brushes right now, I'm just using the Pygame "draw circle" function which looks rather crap. I'm going to add in the transparent brushes and I'll try to get antialiasing working as well (I'm guessing that it'll just be a matter of feathering the source brush image though and nothing code-side)

dflemstr said:
BTW, as I said, I'm also working on an implementation of this, but I'll only demo something once it's more complete (I'm setting the goal to make more than just a paint program ^^)
Awesome :D I love your work so far, it'll be great to see what you come up with! My program most likely will not grow much beyond the features in Colors. I have a whole lot of other Pandora-related projects to work on, I'm just trying to get this one feature-complete to Colors before Pandora ships so once I actually get it I'll have some of my own software to brag about to people when I show them the Pandora :) I'll support it after I release it though, I just want to get a first stable-ish version ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahahah said:
is it possible to have other ways to choose the colors?
for example 3 bars for the red, green and blue values.
and possibly, bars for the luminosity, hue and saturation (very useful to paint an object more lighted on a part than on an other part)
Yah, I'm currently designing alternate color pickers. I thought that this one was pretty cool! but apparently no one else thinks so, and it's more important what y'all think than what I think (I can't paint worth a damn) so yep I'm happy to add any sort of color picker. This program is basically my gift to y'all to keep me from going insane while I wait for the Pandora these last weeks.

I'm working with someone else from the forums on a pandora game (yay :p) and he's given me lots of feedback on how I can improve the color picker (he's a graphic designer). So in your example you'd want 6 bars total? 3 r/g/b/ and 3 h/s/v?

bitz_dv said:
This looks like its going to be really useful, great job!

I too was wondering if alternate ways to choose the colors are possible. I have really grown attached to the color wheel with triangle as used in Colors! on the DS, and wish Photoshop had something similar, it would be stellar if yours had something similar as well. Also if you were interested I had asked the devs of Colors! if they would share their source for a Pandora port way back in the day, they said yes, so maybe they would be willing to share it just for the sake of it if you ask nicely, though it looks like you definitely need no help.

Definitely! Could you get in touch with them again and send them a link to my demo and see what they say (please indicate it's only a prototype a few days in development)? Let them know that I'd like to write an importer for their file format and make sure they don't mind :) If they DO mind, then don't give me the source, 'cause then I can cleanroom RE it without any legal troubles and I'll just do it anyway. Would be easier to see the source though.

Don't worry, I will have alternate color pickers (the Colors one will make it in there.) They'll be switchable with a simple Config file (i.e. change
colorpicker = "Colors!"
to
colorpicker = "Rabidpoobear'sSuckyColorPicker"
for example.) I personally really hate XML for config files, I think it's too cumbersome for most users, so I try to stay away from it for user-side config. So my config files are typically just .py modules with some variables declared. Should be easy for y'all to customize how you want it.

Ugh, just remembered I have to write some tree data structures for C4.5 from scratch for tomorrow, and a project due for work on Friday. So I'll probably push back these updates until Friday afternoon / the weekend. :(

rabidpoobear said:
Ugh, just remembered I have to write some tree data structures for C4.5 from scratch for tomorrow, and a project due for work on Friday. So I'll probably push back these updates until Friday afternoon / the weekend. :(

no problem, take your time.
it's not easy what you do!!

ahahah said:
rabidpoobear said:

Indeed it isn't, not if he's using raw SDL / pygame instead of an actual toolkit.

lulzfish said:
ahahah said:
rabidpoobear said:

Indeed it isn't, not if he's using raw SDL / pygame instead of an actual toolkit.

Tried some toolkits, didn't do what I want, so I'm writing it from scratch in Pygame. I'll port it to C++/SDL if I have to for performance, we'll see how it runs on Pandora.

rabidpoobear said:
JackTheKnife said:
What about grafx2? I was using it long time ago on DOS :] It is almost like "pixeling" in DPaint ;)
I think El Jefe already mentioned this in the thread, but yeah, it looks cool :)
i am not el jefe! worst thing you could every say bro..
edit: p.s. everyone that's reinventing the wheel here, use dp key bindings

grasshoppir said:
rabidpoobear said:
I think El Jefe already mentioned this in the thread, but yeah, it looks cool :)
mah bad, I get Ed Wood avatars mixed up. sorry craig.
grasshoppir said:
are you directing that at me? could you go into more detail?

JackTheKnife said:
What about grafx2? I was using it long time ago on DOS :] It is almost like "pixeling" in DPaint ;)

grafx2 is good for pixeling, but not adapted for painting.
when i opened this topic i thought about something like "colors", ideal for painting :)

rabidpoobear said:
grasshoppir said:
rabidpoobear said:
mah bad, I get Ed Wood avatars mixed up. sorry craig.
grasshoppir said:
are you directing that at me? could you go into more detail?
maybe. tl;dr the whole thread, use deluxe paint key bindings.

Actually, I do have a sort of strange "request" for anyone planning on making an own paint application for the Pandora. Personally, I would probably never use an app that resembles the old MsPaint software. For me, it brings back too many awful memories, and the whole interface just screams "inferior" and "low quality", so to speak. A highly psychological thing, I'm sure. I would also not use the Pandora for pixeling, but for painting - big difference.

Other than that, I say go wild, but keep it simple, clean, and usable. Maybe even skinnable, which is a great way of getting a slick look for it by making some sort of "top 5 skins to include in release"-contest, or whatever.

I would like to see a easy to use and effective Painting software where you can do "Pixeling" (Grid, Zoom...) and also painting (brush, colour mixing, layers). It should support Touchscreen AND Pandora Controls (D-Pad for navigating or drawing pixel-for-pixel, Keyboard of course)
And with "easy to use" I mean much more easy than Gimp. :D

P.S.: I like your Po-Ju Avatar, KarmaSlave ;)

Back