Other Uses For Pandora

@skyeyemachine: You'll know what you need once you have a standard Arduino running. Just go for it! The possibilities are endless.

I was able to build my own "hand-held-gaming-device" with an 8x8 LED-matrix running Pong using 2 pot-meters as inputs just 3 weeks after my first Arduino arrived. Considering I was *very* insecure about the whole electronics-world (I still know virtually nothing) and never soldered before, I was quite proud :)

Now I have a 16x16 LED-matrix receiving input from an onboard joystick and/or a Wii Nunchuck and a soldered-on Atmega328 running the Arduino bootloader. It just needs more software, and I need more time for that.

@kingoddball: Sorry I can't help you with your Xcode/ARM-problem (your other topic). I hope it works out.

kingoddball said:
skyeyemachine said:
kingoddball said:
Don't let it scare you. I still understand virtually NOTHING in the electronics world, but I keep at it.
If you get stuck on anything, just ask me and I'm sure I can help.

Also, once I get the Arduino GUI to compile (IF I CAN!) I will also include all of my codes in the examples, as the basic ones do not include some of the cooler things you will find and harder things like modified motorshield.

I ordered just about everything I have online. In Australia the only three options I have are Tandy, DSE, JayCar(good for resistors). All 3 SUCK! Absolute rip offs!

http://www.adafruit.com/ Best Site for parts!

I recommend going to somewhere like http://www.moderndevice.com and ordering an RBBB or BBB (custom made arduino) and soldering them together. Reason 1: They're not hard, they're not simple. it's a great start. Many components available too.

(google this) little bird electronics have good parts for sale, I got my 'duino from there.
As usual eBay has a huge selection and many parts = cheap.
Parallax (I think it is, they make the Spin Stamp and stuff) is where I got the Ping))) (the eyes of the brain) from.

Tools: Needle Nose Pliers, Sodering Iron (Small Tip), Wires. Ebay have a GREAT kit, all wires have a metal end(look at the black end of wires in photos), and they slot into anything (breadboards etc). Carton cutting blade (Stanley Knife) aswell..
mini breadboards are not cheap, but they are EXCELLENT!

I took a look at the sources you mentioned; I'm thinking the BBB kit is probably right for me, although I'm somewhat tempted to just get ahold of something like Little Bird's Arduino starter kit... :p I hadn't realized breadboards were sold in such small sizes, but is there really a large advantage to using these small ones over the standard sizes?

As for tools, I'm looking at Adafruit's Adjustable 30W 110V iron; I don't know much about the fine details of electronics tools and which are best, but it seems like it will suffice, and for $20, it's worth a try. I may as well pick up their soldering iron stand and a couple other items from their stock while I'm at it. I have a solder gun kicking around which still works, but it's heavy with a thick tip to it, making any precision work quite awkward.

I'll keep an eye open for those parts you mention on Ebay. I've never really done much through the site, so it'll be interesting to see what comes up. Thanks very much for all the info and encouragement; I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask once I get the stuff together and start attempting some projects! :p

In fact, I have one already, come to think of it! I'm under the imrpession that, given the right programming setup and interface on a given PC, I can control the Arduino completely via its USB connector. Is this correct? Or is the USB connector mainly just to program the PIC? Please pardon my ignorance if this is a stupid question; I'm still very new to the Arduino scene!

If I can recommend something: Dont use an RBBB/BBB as a first 'duino. They need an FTDI card (USB BUB) or Serial-USB (built in FTDI) cable.
Get a basic Arduino (http://www.arduino.cc). I was just saying to learn to solder on a fun project, use a BBB. Just my recommendation. I have started working on Porting.. Right NOW actually. I will be starting a new post in a few mins. I need some help.
Good luck with the porting; I doubt I'll be of any help, programming is another skill I'm only just developing, (most of my efforts there have been in C so far).

I'll take your suggestion regarding the DIY Arduino kits; I have some experience soldering now anyway, and if I want more, I already have another everything-but-the-solder style kit sitting around to practice on...

Last edited by a moderator:
For me I will replay all my metal slug from 1 to 5, have them portable means a dream becoming real :wub: :wub: :wub:
then if anyone will port blender. last i'll replay quake 3 (but not with nubs, with the touchscreen)

panik said:
@skyeyemachine: You'll know what you need once you have a standard Arduino running. Just go for it! The possibilities are endless.

I was able to build my own "hand-held-gaming-device" with an 8x8 LED-matrix running Pong using 2 pot-meters as inputs just 3 weeks after my first Arduino arrived. Considering I was *very* insecure about the whole electronics-world (I still know virtually nothing) and never soldered before, I was quite proud :)

Now I have a 16x16 LED-matrix receiving input from an onboard joystick and/or a Wii Nunchuck and a soldered-on Atmega328 running the Arduino bootloader (You'll need a programmer for that). It just needs more software, and I need more time for that.

@kingoddball: Sorry I can't help you with your Xcode/ARM-problem (your other topic). I hope it works out.
Sounds neat, panik. :) I'm thinking I'll pick up some initial equipment and a 'duino from Adafruit, since they also have the nice advantage of lots and lots of tutorials from their site, as I understand. I've reviewed some DIY books and learned a bit about electronics theory and application from them, but ultimately, I need some actual parts to work with for it to all sink in and become truly meaningful.

If I get that far, I want to build a mobile robot that I can control via a wireless internet connetion using a webcam and microphone, which'll involve lots of motors and probably need a laptop connected to one or more Arduinos to supply motor control at a distance...but I'm trying to get myself to start small and just build some blinky circuits and things first to get the fundamental skills down. :lol: I'm no programmer either, but what I've seen of the C language so far isn't too frightening so long as I'm given the time to digest it. I have lots of silly little tutorial programs littering my hard disk these days. I've also taken some quick jabs at Python and looked at Java a bit, but I figured C would probably be best to start with, since it and C++ are so widely applied.

Nova said:
Lots and lots of

prawn.jpg

Dayum but dat's sum nice prawn! :lol:

about the only thing i wont be doing on this thing is playing Worms: Armageddon and a Dungeon Master clone called Return to Chaos (unless i can get the maker to open the source for us)

things ill be doing that i never do with my crap vaio or desktop:
audio processing, books and comics, listen to music (who wants a used ipod?), gps, use it as a flash light, charge my phone with it, backtrack 4 apps, and pda stuff.

@Nova - you mean loads of Xenon2 action on an Amiga emulator?

I'll be using mine to do the usual email/movies/music etc while in hotels & away on business but I'll also be using it as a webserver at home to run my personal wiki and some other stuff - low power consumption apache/mysql ftw!

Hmm, might use it to download stuff while I'm out/asleep so I can keep my OWL meter happy as well =)

Back