Other Uses For Pandora

I was just going to use my Pandora for chat, web, e-mail, and maybe a little bit of writing. A lot of good ideas here though, I always like these idea threads.

Sewing. :p

It will be incredibly handy for me to be able to keep patterns and reference artwork to hand, especially when picking up supplies.

I'll be using the Pandora for previewing digi-cam pics and transferring images between SD cards.

Here's hoping for a nice file manager on the NAND.

Music creation software would be a big plus for me too.

Might do a bit of retro gaming as well ;)

I'll definitely be making music with the Pandora. I find composing with a handheld far more comfortable than on a PC. I'll probably be coding on the Pandora as well, although I'm not an expert. One of the reasons I brought a Pandora was so I could become a better programmer.

Now I'll also be able to use the Pandora to get files onto my microSD card, usef for DS homebrew.

ThaDSman said:
It would be great if we could get Nitrotracker ported over to our beloved Pandora.

There's a program called MilkyTracker which is based off the same software that NitroTracker was inspired by (FastTracker II). We could get that working on the Pandora quite easily, because it is open source and was originally intended for use with portable devices. I think there is already a port that runs on the GP32X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to whatever Torpor can come up with with respect to music software.

I'd also love it if the developer of Nanoloop would consider developing something for the Pandora; he decided not to develop a version for NDS because it wasn't worth it. Maybe I'll send him an email to see if he's interested when the Pandora is released. Has anyone had any contact with him about this? Nanoloop is begging for a higher res interface and a touchscreen.

• Portable video player, that's easy to hook up to a TV.
  • Personal organizer
  • SDHC card reader (only my bro's laptop can read SDHC that digital camera is using)
  • Portable HDD
  • Programming (gonna give a go at ARM assembly, x86 assembly was quite fun)
  • Password manager (I'm trying to strenghten my passwords, I need a fallback while I try to memorize longer ones)

For the most part, I want it as a PDA/organizer, and as an Ebook reader, since I have a huge number of ebooks that I'm otherwise pinned to my larger computers to read. I'm not so much of one for retro gaming myself, although I do have a few favorites like Final Fantasy Tactics and Magic Carpet and Master of Orion 2, among others, but I am really hoping Cortex Command and maybe even the OpenMorrowind project get ported to the Pandora, since there's been interest from the developers for both, I understand.

I might also use it as a blogging tool of sorts. I was thinking it could be interesting to try doing some vlog posts with it, patching a webcam into its USB port and perching that on my shoulder or something like as I went about my business. I might even go so far as to embed a small camera in the upper lid itself, since I understand from mali that there's some empty space on one side of the monitor, but that's a long-term project. :p

As well, it'll see plenty of use for music, text and web-browsing. I use my computer so often, it'll be bloody brilliant to be able to use one away from a desk or power outlet. I've always lugged my laptop around for that, for lack of anything more portable, but that's not always good enough. :)

craigix said:
I really hope we can get Spotify running.

Because I want to try to hook it up to 3G and use it in the car.

^This, but with last.fm (spotify isn't available in canada). I'd also like the pandora to A2DP with my phone and display caller ID while I'm driving, and do some google GPS magic.

I'm sure it'll be my laptop replacement for a bunch of things, but these are some things that will be new for me:

1. Learning the ins and outs of linux. I've tried it before, but this time I won't be able to go back to windows.

2. I'll have to try some drawing with that touchscreen. Doubt I'll get into it though.

3. It'll probably be as close as I'm getting to a phone. We'll see how that works out.

barnesy said:
When I saw the thread title I was hoping for things like door stop, paperweight, table tennis bat, garlic press, etc. Not that any of those are my planned uses...

Well, I was planning to use it a wallet. I should be able to clamp some bills with it. Maybe remove the battery to store coins.

One of the primary interests in the Pandora for me was as a PMP replacement with ancillary laptop application
uses in a compact form. So I hope to get lots of video play time out of it.

If an application is available, I'd want to use it to read Comic books or Manga as well.

And clarifying the 'ancillary laptop application uses' comment, I would love to have an app to convert between audio formats for DAPs as well as a full mp3 tag editor for quick converts on-the-go. The same for digital photo processing.

If I were in college something like this would be pretty neat to carry around between classes to record professors notes, keep class schedules, maps and what have you. Much more compact than netbooks even (And better battery life), though you lose deft typing ability.

Hmm...how about an app or function which sets up the Pandora as a portable Server or BBS-like system via wi-fi that allows others to log into your Pandora and transfer files and messages to and from it? (Probably not possible eh?) Just had a flash of some sort of a 'Pandora Party' application.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to get one of these when its released. Just thinking about all the possible usb add-on devices and extensions and hardware config possibilities raises my geek gadget hackles like crazy! :)

Vlynndar said:
barnesy said:
When I saw the thread title I was hoping for things like door stop, paperweight, table tennis bat, garlic press, etc. Not that any of those are my planned uses...

Well, I was planning to use it a wallet. I should be able to clamp some bills with it. Maybe remove the battery to store coins.

I sometimes use my laptop like a manilla folder; tuck papers or paper money in between the screen and keyboard when it's closed. I suppose I can do the same with the Pandora too. :p

Seems like a rather pricey doorstop, though. :lol:

craigix said:
I really hope we can get Spotify running.

Because I want to try to hook it up to 3G and use it in the car.
doesn't despotify work with premium accounts?

kingoddball said:
Pandora for me:
Portable hardware hacking device.
Arduino IDE will be getting ported to the Pandora (by me, already started) and I will probably buy a second panda and hack he case to include 26 female digital IO pins so I can hack DIRECTLY from the pandora hardware (Will add an ATmega inside the case to assist with hardware control).

kingoddball, please keep us posted on your efforts. I would love being able to program AVR's "Arduino style" on the go.

nihilon said:
One of the primary interests in the Pandora for me was as a PMP replacement with ancillary laptop application
uses in a compact form. So I hope to get lots of video play time out of it.

If an application is available, I'd want to use it to read Comic books or Manga as well.

And clarifying the 'ancillary laptop application uses' comment, I would love to have an app to convert between audio formats for DAPs as well as a full mp3 tag editor for quick converts on-the-go. The same for digital photo processing.

If I were in college something like this would be pretty neat to carry around between classes to record professors notes, keep class schedules, maps and what have you. Much more compact than netbooks even (And better battery life), though you lose deft typing ability.

Hmm...how about an app or function which sets up the Pandora as a portable Server or BBS-like system via wi-fi that allows others to log into your Pandora and transfer files and messages to and from it? (Probably not possible eh?) Just had a flash of some sort of a 'Pandora Party' application.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to get one of these when its released. Just thinking about all the possible usb add-on devices and extensions and hardware config possibilities raises my geek gadget hackles like crazy! :)

I am in college, and I'm planning to use it for those very purposes. As for typing, I was thinking I'd get one of those cheap roll-up portable keyboards for taking lecture notes and the like. Not the best quality, perhaps, but inexpensive and unlikely to break, at least in theory; otherwise, I might try and get something fancier. Any suggestions? A normal USB keyboard will also work, of course, but obviously that'd be more of a hassle to carry around... :p

I suppose I could also try and hook up a better microphone to it or something to record said lectures, as I imagine the internal one isn't sensitive enough for that.

Back