Other Uses For Pandora

zevdawg

I have a DS Lite, and I often run homebrew apps through my slot-1 card.

I was pondering for a little bit here, "Both these got a touchscreen". Ok.. But my DS runs a handful of great homebrew apps, whereas the Pandora is pretty much unlimited in terms of apps that can be run (or at least ported to run somewhat decently) on it.

I've seen GIMP and office apps being loaded onto it, but for me - I'm into music creation and sorts (my bedroom is my studio). It would be interesting to see more music software on this thing. I'm not talking just using Audacity (yes, that's in Wiki port requests) - synths, maybe using a MIDI device on it? Sequencer/tracker software?

It would be neat to have something similar to Nitrotracker and a bit more on track with a Korg DS 10+.

Now, on the other hand... artwork and sorts: the DS is transformed into a colour digital art tablet without shelling out the dough to Wacom for one. Colours! does a fair job on that little screen (now recently ported to iPhone by the looks of it).

Just tossing ideas out there... (the Nitrotracker software did have source code on the site some time ago).

What will you be using your pandora for, aside from the obvious (games)?

I would love music creation software too, like the DS-10. What a great idea!

Some sort of media-streaming application would be handy too, so that music/video can be streamed locally to the Pandora which is then plugged into a TV.

If there's any sort of audio recording and editing software that becomes available, I'll definitely be keeping it handy for that.

Oo, I remember nitrotracker, colours, and all those great apps *(whips out the m3 perfect)*

It would be great if we could get Nitrotracker ported over to our beloved Pandora.

Gruso said:
Music makers, read this: http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__762440

Then send him beer, he desperately needs beer.

[edit] I plan to do a little blog article about that post. As long as it doesn't make torpor feel like he's being pressured!

Oh wow! Something emulating the functionality of the Kaossinator or the more expensive Korg touchpad synthesisers would be incredible...

Last edited by a moderator:
Music software is certainly my hope too. Since I just don't get the time to spend on my nice big setup at home, I get most of my music done on a Palm TX using an amazing piece of software called Bhajis Loops. Damn thing even has a proper piano-roll style note editing interface. It is extraordinary what that piece of software is capable of on such a platform; I call it my "pocket Reason".

When one can get such results from a Palm TX (albeit with a brilliantly designed piece of software like Bhajis Loops), the opportunities created by the step-up that the Pandora represents makes me excited indeed.

I've contacted Pierre Gorgull in the Early days of the pandora for a port of Protein DS.
And he seemed real interested. ( since he is a friend of mine Using Pocket game consoles & GP2x in live music shows, he will already have close people to test it. )

Now i'm emailing him again, to see if he is still interested with the release of the pandora coming and all.

I'm planning on writing quite a lot on my Pandora, just because I can write whenever and wherever I want. I'm a board game designer so I'll be writing rules and perhaps design notes. I would also be blogging more frequently and probably code my own website the way I want it. I also hope to do some art on my Pandora, again for my design work.

You can find my blog here.

E-book reader. It has the distinctive advantage over most by actually being readable in the dark. I'll finally replace my PSP with its custom firmware as my primary e-reader.

It also only cost half as much as my mom paid for her Kindle DX (extended warranty is a bitch).

Rathum said:
E-book reader. It has the distinctive advantage over most by actually being readable in the dark.
^This.

When I saw the thread title I was hoping for things like door stop, paperweight, table tennis bat, garlic press, etc. Not that any of those are my planned uses...

Edit - as for ebook stuff, I don't think it will replace Stanza on my iphone for general text ebook reading (works well in the dark), but I've only just realised how good it'll be to have a desktop quality PDF viewer in my pocket. I guess that's just one of the several uses my Pandora will get that I didn't think of at first.

Pandora for me:
Portable hardware hacking device.
Arduino IDE will be getting ported to the Pandora (by me, already started) and I will probably buy a second panda and hack he case to include 26 female digital IO pins so I can hack DIRECTLY from the pandora hardware (Will add an ATmega inside the case to assist with hardware control).

Electronic dictionary. There are a few options that don't seem like too much work, I just hope a helpful dev can do all the work 'cause last time I tried to compile something Very Bad Things happened. :(

Gruso: Do a blog post when I've got a Pandora and have started the Pandora-as-music-machine project and released something interesting .. ;)

The other day I saw a performance of some calling himself "DS-10 Dominator" who did a live gig on a korg emulator on a DS. After the show I talked to him at the train station about the pandora and he was very interested.

I think music can be a great application for the pandora.

Gilrad said:
Electronic dictionary. There are a few options that don't seem like too much work, I just hope a helpful dev can do all the work 'cause last time I tried to compile something Very Bad Things happened. :(

This reminds me of the dashboard on OSX. The dictionary, calculator, translator, and universal unit/currency converter are probably some of the most useful things I use throughout my day.
Love the thesaurus too. Sucks that it needs to be connected to work though. I have no idea how big that kind of a local lexicon would be.

Back