Pandora Live!

Kaillera is win-only ;) Still, I'd love to see someone port it to linux for the Pandora :)

I think what we want is more like Steam than Xbox Live. Or maybe a mix of both. We want something that will allow you to easily set up online games, as well as download/install/update them.

Instead of creating our own Pandora network, would it be possible to ask the admin of Xlink-kai if they'd be willing to support Pandora? They already have support for Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, and PSP. They already have a Linux version of the client software as well as Java, though I imagine porting the X-86 Linux would be considerably faster.

This is totally necropost, but that does sound like an interesting idea, so it might be ok. Would the admins of this system be likely to actually do this for a system with only 3000 potential users, though?

jbr said:
Would the admins of this system be likely to actually do this for a system with only 3000 potential users, though?
I don't think they'd care. It's not like they're going to be making money off of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbr said:
This is totally necropost, but that does sound like an interesting idea, so it might be ok. Would the admins of this system be likely to actually do this for a system with only 3000 potential users, though?
I think as long as someone from the Pandora community is willing to do a bunch of the porting and software work it would be ok. At least I hope they would let us use their network.

Sorry about the necropost.

Didn't someone say something about forwarding /var so the other pandora to see what your doing. all we really need is desktop sharing and something to send the other pandora's key strokes.

This is something that I was asking for when people were first talking about adding networking to the GP2X.

With the Pandora only starting off with a limited amount available, chances are that most people won't have any friends with the same console and they'll need something like this to play against real people on emulators etc. It can also be used for other home brew stuff too of course.
Open Kaillera could be a good place to start :)

I would also like to see Jabber used for in game chat too. It would add all sorts of useful features like:

The ability for more than one person to use the same user name...
e.g trip@home.net would be different from trip@work.org.
The first person to join in game would be just called Trip (uses the first part of address for the players name) and the second one who joins can just have a number temporary added to their displayed name in brackets Trip(1).

The ability to add people in game direct to your buddy list...
e.g Entering the command add Trip(1) into the games chat box would add trip@work.org to your buddy list and not actually Trip(1). add Trip would add trip@home.net to your buddy list (if trip@home.net was the first to join the server).

Adding people from in game could save them in a new group on your buddy list under the name of the game. This would help people to remember which particular game they met the person in.

You could contact your normal buddies and send them the i.p address of the games server or other info without ever leaving the game...
e.g Entering the command send iainj - 87.65.128.90 , would send the address to the contact iainj on your jabber buddy list.

It would truly make Jabber the one messenger account for everything ;)

Not too sure if I explained this ok or not?
I posted on the Ubuntu developers forum about this a while back but people didn't seem to get it. They kept confusing it with dbus for some reason?? :(

LOL@dbus isn't that interprocess comunication? what is wrong with IRC? i see no real advantage to jabber i mean who is gonna use thier real name in the chat client anyway so name collisions are not very likely

cb88 said:
LOL@dbus isn't that interprocess comunication? what is wrong with IRC? i see no real advantage to jabber i mean who is gonna use thier real name in the chat client anyway so name collisions are not very likely
Yeah.. Dbus is central communication software. e.g all programs with Dbus support communicate with each other through it :)

You don't have to use your real name (Trip's not my real name by the way ;))
I used to just use Tripmonkey in games until someone else started registering it before me and I had to start using Tripmonkey_uk. Unfortunately not all games support the use of the underscore so I sometimes have to use Tr1pm0nkey lol

JakeK said:
I don't think it would be worth the effort with such a small player base.
Having software that only allows Pandora owners to play against each other wouldn't be worth it, but software that allows playing with other systems as well would be well worth the effort.
I don't see why we couldn't play a 2 player game with somebody using a PSP, a PC or even a home made MAME machine?

Well there are similar homebrew apps for the PSP which has a similarity to something of this sort

Well I hope we can get at least something like 2dfigher.com, I even asked the author about porting it to pandora and he said he would consider it when he gets a Pandora :)

I do not think the Pandora needs an online system like xbox live. It would not be worth keeping up with. There will not be enough people using it to make it worth the time and money. I know I would not be using it. I am also not going to pay money to play online when I can play games online on my computer for free.

Back