Pandora makes possible: Tie Fighter

MaverickUK

Still Fresh
Sure, you can play it right now with Dosbox on any computer... but the thought of playing Tie Fighter using the joysticks on the Pandora just really gets me excited about it! :)

tie2.gif

I struggled to get Dosbox working on my original GP2X a few times, but the hardest part I always found was rigging up the controls to work on the limited amount available.

Having a whole keyboard and joysticks? Tie Fighter is just the tip of the iceburg! :D

Back in the day I wrote an article about the original GP2X, I've already started to blabber about the Pandora too - I think we're on the verge of something big here!

MaverickUK said:
Sure, you can play it right now with Dosbox on any computer... but the thought of playing Tie Fighter using the joysticks on the Pandora just really gets me excited about it! :)

tie2.gif

I struggled to get Dosbox working on my original GP2X a few times, but the hardest part I always found was rigging up the controls to work on the limited amount available.

Having a whole keyboard and joysticks? Tie Fighter is just the tip of the iceburg! :D

Back in the day I wrote an article about the original GP2X, I've already started to blabber about the Pandora too - I think we're on the verge of something big here!
I think that game is in the IGN hall of fame

It'd be really nice if we could run Tie Fighter with acceptable performance on the Pandora, but I don't think the Pandora can emulate a 486 well enough.

And it would probably be possible to use the DSP to run code and, if the GPU is reverse engineered, even the GPU to help with the emulation.
I'm still not sure whether it would run 486 programs well enough.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much performance we can get out of that little ARM processor!

It'll be interesting see what speed of x86 processor it can successfully emulate

MaverickUK said:
I'm looking forward to seeing how much performance we can get out of that little ARM processor!

It'll be interesting see what speed of x86 processor it can successfully emulate

i have the feeling the dev's are just being careful on the performance of the machine, so they are just under estimating it.

Tie Fighter is a Top 10 game of all time ...

I'm currently replaying the Collectors Edition DOS CD-ROM right now.

I started to re-play Syndicate a few months ago through Dosbox. I enjoyed it for a while, but then the simplist nature of the AI started to wear through and I just didn't enjoy it as much...

But saying that a classic I just keep going back to is X-COM (Both UFO and TFTD).

I hope that the Pandora will have the grunt for this type of game - plus that they'll fit on the screen correctly! I use my Eee for some of these games at the moment, but the Pandora feels like a better size and I like the addition of a touch screen.

Etinin said:
It'd be really nice if we could run Tie Fighter with acceptable performance on the Pandora, but I don't think the Pandora can emulate a 486 well enough.

The original floppy disk Tie Fighter was playable on a 386.

I would think the Collectors Edition DOS CD-ROM with all the enhanced features turned down or off would also play on a 386.

I have my .iso ready.

Back