Tie Fighter!!!!!

Halcyon

Ordered and processed but still waiting for my Pandora very very anxiously. So i suppose i will find out in a few days (Hopefully) but has anyone tried to get Tie Fighter to run on this device with Das Dosbox :)

Any comments on Dosbox in general? I would love me some Sopwith, alley cat, xwing. Oh yeah all the good news of the VGA and CGA days.

You would think that all of DosBox would emulate perfectly on such a powerful handheld, but unfortunately Tie Fighter is one that runs too slow to play based upon what I've seen. X-Wing is possible, but still too slow for my tastes.

The only other mitigating factors that could change this fact I think are possible (but not likely) optimization and the Pandora's unused DSP. I haven't an idea whether DosBox would use it or if it would cover the gap, though. I shall continue dreaming the possibility until proven otherwise.

This is really one game I think would be killer to see running smoothly, since the Pandora controls and keyboard are cut perfectly for such a game. For those of you that don't know, X-Wing and Tie Fighter are Star Wars flight sims have a bunch of in-flight controls all operated by hotkeys. VERY well-produced games, as LucasArts tends to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer, That is unwelcome news, unwelcome news indeed. :( Well hopefully someone with the programming chops has fond memories of these games and can make something happen. I don't like this about my self but, I just have the hardest time dealing with things that don't run at or damn near perfection. I think I would just be upset and sad to play Tie Fighter any other way then it was intended.

If anyone gives Sim Ant a go let me know how that turns out.

I hear ya, and I'm much the same way. Any slowdown or stuttering that's the least bit consistent breaks the immersion and spoils the fun for me.

On the bright side, lots of other things run wonderfully, and DosBox has an uncanny compatibility with many many programs, so the fact that it's been ported to Pandora alone is absolutely gorgeous.

I started to set up Qemu + DOS, but I couldn't figure out how to build an iso that Qemu would accept using the old DOS floppy disk files that I have. So I gave up and decided to wait and see if another alternative for Tie Fighter would come around the bend.

I hear ya, and I'm much the same way. Any slowdown or stuttering that's the least bit consistent breaks the immersion and spoils the fun for me.
Wait, what?

You mean your games always ran perfectly? I consider stutter part of the experience!

:p

Star Wars: TIE Fighter + Expansion pack (exe)

I had previously ISO’d my Tie Fighter DOS Collectors CD for mounting and playing the game in DOSBox and on my Pandora. When over clocked to 1 GHz the CD version is barely playable on the Pandora even with most enhancement settings turned off or down. Cool for a demo not for serious playing.

I have several copies of the original TIE Fighter floppy disk version that ran on earlier hardware than the CD version. Either my floppies or my disk drive no longer works so I searched online for a backup.

I searched and found “Star Wars: TIE Fighter + Expansion pack (exe)” which lead to Tie.Fighter-some-url-that-i-wont-post-Package.exe. I used 7-zip (right-click) to extract the TIE folder from the Tie.Fighter-some-url-that-i-wont-post-Package.exe

It is \C\TIE inside the Tie.Fighter-some-url-that-i-wont-post-Package.

Copy the TIE folder into the pandora/appdata/dosbox/games/ folder.

This TIE folder works with PC and Pandora DOSBox and runs significantly better than the CD version. Probably still not fast enough for serious play but it is a better experience on the Pandora than the CD version.

The DOSBox “mouse moves when right nub mouse-click is used” can cause problems in some areas.

Dosbox: Problems With Nub Input:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56659-dosbox-problems-with-nub-input/page__st__15

Dosbox Mouse Issues Jumpy pointer:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55240-dosbox-mouse-issues/

Anyone have a solution for the jumpy mouse in DOSBox?

Back