pandora not booting

zacht016z

Still Fresh
I have a pandora 1 ghz edition that won't turn on. At first I thought it was a bad battery so I got a replacement, but that didn't work. So I am now out of ideas... When I put in the battery the low power/chargeing light comes on and then turns off while the back light simultaneously turns on, and then it does absolutely nothing.

Im hopeing I can fix it myself without sending it anywhere so advice on how to proceed whould be very appreciated.

I would want to say super low battery but a second battery probably wouldn't have had that problem.

Hmm, have you tried plugging it in without the battery? It's an undocumented (and not guaranteed) feature of the charge chip to be able to run without a battery. Just don't put the battery in while it's running like this, you can cause a voltage spike and damage the Pandora.

Whether that works or not, try putting the battery in (after unplugging it!) and then plug it in, leaving it to pre-charge for a couple of hours. Sometimes the battery can get so low that it can't turn on, in which case the charge chip has an emergency pre-charge feature that will slowly charge it until it is enough to safely turn on. This typically only takes about 10-30 minutes but has been known to take an hour or so a couple times.

That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully that's all it is and a nice long charging is all it needs.

I had already tryed that with the original battery, I'll try that now with the new one. I doubt it but the new one may have shipped in that mode. At the least it will check that off the list.

Edit: forgot to mention that when it was working I verified that it will not work without the battery. And that when I tryed it on the first battery it whould take a small charge after several hours (3-4) and not have enough power to complete a boot. After doing that twice it took no charge at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I plugged it in and after 35 min it was very hot, something it did not do with the old battery when I tryed to recharge it. Needless to say I unplugged it.

Are the battery contacts clean and not broken off or squashed?

There should be three of them in the batterycompartment where the battery connects to the Pandora.

Hi & welcome.

Has your Pandora ever worked correctly?

When / where did you buy it?

Have you tried powering the Pandora via the USB OTG port? If not try this with & without the battery inserted.

Unlikely to help but worth a try before an RMA.

Yes the contacts are clean and in good condition. Yes my pandora worked out ofbthe box for a few months then it simply whould not charge and died. I'll try charging from the usb port and post back in 30-40 min. I got it at the dragonbox shop.

Well it started to overheat again but this time I was able to determine where it was originating. It was comeing from slightly under the button with the pandora logo on it.

Might be some short circuit.

Want to try opening it to find out what part it coule be?

Yeah im willing to give it a shot *goes to find tiny tiny screwdriver*

Edit: so im not sure if I see anything wrong...

20130718_104648.jpg

20130718_104856.jpg

Back