Pandora Not Enumerating Usb2.0 Device

chris_c

I just got hold of a teensy usb micro controller board (amtel mega32u4) this is a full speed device not just hi speed so it is *defiantly* a USB2.0 device and the data sheet claims FULL usb2.0 compliance...

However when I plug this device in I get the dreaded "unable to enumerate device" in dmesg

as the GPIO port is basically inaccessible to hardware hackers (you cant get the connectors as 1 or even 10 off) then without a USB2.0 micro controller it seem the only option the hardware hacker has is directly soldering to the board :-o

Might this be a kernel bug?

has anyone come across a USB2.0 micro controller they know doesn't make the pandoras USB sub system curl up its toes...

Other way around. It says USB2.0 Full and low speed, the Pandora only supports High speed devices. I don't know why it says USB2.0. Unless it can support 2.0 devices but only if they can be put into Full/Low speed modes, which basically makes them USB1.1 devices.

Ah ha! vital clue, I might not be able to program it on the move (which would have been nice) but I *might* just be able to put in into high speed mode or operation mode (as it were)!
Thanks!

ah rats full dudgeon mode! looks like it can only do full speed or low speed no hi speed mode....

Well. Duh.

fortunately I managed to find a cheap one without LED that I could strip down small enough to fit in my project...

It would be nice to find a usb2 embedded controller that could revert to hi-speed mode though an extra chip in projects is extra mA's...

Can't you just find a USB controller that supports USB 2.0 high speed? (You do know that high speed is faster than full speed? Full speed and low speed were part of USB 1.1 spec)

Also, will a hub actually work to get full/low speed devices working with the Pandora?
I've not tried one with the Pandora but I thought USB hubs seperated full and low speed USB data from high speed data using transactions translators, which might mean the Pandora still see's your USB device as a full/low speed device despite a hub.

I'm not that interested in the actual speed just some mode that would directly work with the Pandora's USB port

just about any usb2.0 hub I've used on the Pandora (well ok 3!) has worked fine, and just about any device connected to the hub is then recognised by the Pandora.

I assume what is happening is that the hub is connecting at hi speed to the Pandora and full speed to the device - hence letting the two connect, I've only just started looking into USB most of my electronics work has been with SPI buses and other protocols more commonly found in embedded controllers...

Back