Pandora...or A Dedicated Umpc?

Señor RavensFjord

Still Fresh
Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to the boards(obviously) and I have a little bit of a dilemma. I think the Pandora is an exceptional handheld, hands down. But could it actually be used for work as well as play? I've been going back and forth between the Pandora (which i realize if I ordered soon it would be quite some time before I receive it)and the Viliv N5 (My link) The Viliv N5 is a full fledged PC and I know it'll do what I want, problem is: no game controls. So What I'm asking is can I use the Pandora for all the things I'd use a regular UMPC for?

Sorry to respond with a question, but what are the things you would use a regular UMPC for?

Not a problem. I used my old UMPCs for an occasional pmp, which I know wouldn't be a problem on the Pandora, but I used it to write text documents on current events, as I do extemporaneous speaking for my high school and I tote whatever is in my UMPC arsenal along to meets for preparation. That's the biggest thing.

Well, it's purely anecdotal, but I've been doing plenty of writing on mine, using the built-in text-editor. The keyboard is very much designed for thumb-typing, though (this is something I've never done before, but I've quickly gotten very speedy at it :p).

I don't know how suitable that is for your needs, but it's certainly doable.

mp3/video and text editing are not thigns that really stress any device; you could do those on a Apple Newton MessagePad released in 1993 :) (yes, there is an mp3 player made for it ;)

Hmm, trying to think of what other differentiators; as a mobile developer I find, as always, its the feal and controls; if the dev ice weants to be thumb typed or keyboard-typed is a big one, and the mouse; sone of the tumb-mice are totally unusable and render the device terrible. I'm thinking of the older Sony UX .. see pic: http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/sony_ux390n_1.jpg -- the keyboard was basicly unusable, and the mouse terrible; the touchscfreen and high res on that device was fantastic, and a decent cpu for running various things, but the controls and thickness made it bad.

That all said, the N5 is _sweet_ :)

So it depends what apps really -- given a full Windows UMPC, you can run Windows apps on their (or sometimes linux, etc, but often with trouble.) But as you say, no gaming controls; great for just running unemulated PC games (Baldurs Gate, no need for GemRB!), but you'll never get any value out of emulators or action games on a UMPC.

I guess its a quesiton of trade-off -- do you want to give up the convenience of running Windows (assming you want a Windows oriented device or applications), for better controls? ie: Your core apps are essentially the same (same browsers, functioanlyl same text editors and media players), but its the apps that push it that differ; Emulators like MAME, Genesis etc will be fine on Pandora and unusable on a typical UMPC, but a typical UMPC can rn windowds and just jack in any old GPS USB widget and be good to go.

I don't think its an easy answer.. as Prometheus put .. it _very_ much depends on what you need to do and how long you can wait :)

jeffphone

I think for your usage scenario a "real" UMPC would be overkill. I'm one of those with similar interests, but didn't manage to make a decision yet. BZ and N5 are nice gadgets, but the high price and low battery life are serious showstoppers for me. I hope some devs will put serious effort in Pandora's power saving features when the new kernel is integrated. Nothing beats a proper alway on experience only ARM can provide right now. Combine that with a custom optimized GUI and you'll beat any Windows UMPC. In the N5's Win7 you can't even increase the title bar button size.
That said, I'm a bit disappointed with Pandora's GUI so far, but I'm sure this will change. Someone already replaced the window manager with matchbox.

mali said:
Someone already replaced the window manager with matchbox.
IIRC we had matchbox before E17 which we had before XFCE.....
EDIT:+we

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the 10 hour+ battery life (but currently no proper battery management).

I haven't been following the umpc scene for awhile but the N5 looks pretty sweet. I'm not crazy about the microsd or the battery life but those aren't really show stoppers. If they would of just put some game controls on that thing I'd seriously think about getting one. $650 is a bit pricey for me (family of 5 = perpetually broke) but not bad comparatively to other umpcs. Put "Sony" on the lid and double the price :p .

@op, another thing to consider before you buy is this community. Not only is it fun to be part of but, with time, many/most programs will be optimized to run on the pandora's specific hardware and will more often than not be free of charge. I'm not sure how much n5 specific software optimizations would actually happen. I'm no dev, but my understanding (mostly from things exophase has posted :D ) is that most windows programs/emulators aren't coded with optimization in mind because many coding problems can be fixed by throwing raw power (mhz/ram) at the program which most modern pc's have no problem doing. That being said, I could be way off base about umpc optimized programs, I stopped following the scene with my Pandora pre-order years ago... (where does the time go? :huh: )

From what you've said I reckon a Pandora will be better for your needs. You can use the following flowchart:

When do you need it?
  • Within the next few days/weeks/month
    • UMPC or alternative device
  • In approximately November/December 2010 or later
    • Batch 2 Pandora

Back