What are Pandora's competitors?

My take is this: if people considered anything out now competitive with Pandora then nobody would have wanted one in the first place, because devices of that sort have been out for a lot longer than Pandora itself has. Most mobile devices are variations of the original iPhone formula or are one of a million UMPCs. The only really new shift is tablets, but those are basically just a larger take on the same sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take is this: if people considered anything out now competitive with Pandora then nobody would have wanted one in the first place, because devices of that sort have been out for a lot longer than Pandora itself has. Most mobile devices are variations of the original iPhone formula or are one of a million UMPCs. The only really new shift is tablets, but those are basically just a larger take on the same sort of thing.
Not to mention that only a few have the same beefy processor.

Really? I figured there were dozens of mobiles on the market now with better processors than Pandora..

Really? I figured there were dozens of mobiles on the market now with better processors than Pandora..

You can throw as much speed as you want in a device, but something not geared toward gaming is something not geared towards gaming.

What difference does it make? Austin said that only a few of the devices I was talking about had processors as beefy as Pandora. I think the situation is that most of them have better ones.

You guys are too defensive.

Alot of phones have better processors than the pandy.The nexus and the new iphone are more powerful i think.

The community aspect and the full game controls are what appeal to me,though i will buy other devices too smartphones,nintys 3ds etc

Probably, but the processors are locked up with Android (open-source, but many phones are not meant to be rooted) or iOS (closed-source, not meant to be rooted, dev kit costs $100 a year + cost of a Mac)

Pandora has the best mobile processor, under the condition that I can actually use the processor for whatever I like.

That's why I only considered the N900 and maybe some of those open projects (What was that one like the Beagleboard but it ran on DD-WRT or something??) to be competitors, regular phones don't like to be programmable.

"Regular" phones are not competitors on account of Pandora not being a phone. Whether or not devices "like to be rooted" or not (or have the blessing of the manufacturer) if they can be then you can do what you want with it. Those platforms that are locked down with Android, as you put it, have the benefit of access to a software ecosystem Pandora simply doesn't, so it's pretty clear why they chose the OS. Beyond that I doubt that say, Archos or Hardkernel for instance, care what you do with the device.

I don't think anything out there can really compete with the pandora...

but thats just me. Im waiting for my email to order( very excited) :p

"Regular" phones are not competitors on account of Pandora not being a phone. Whether or not devices "like to be rooted" or not (or have the blessing of the manufacturer) if they can be then you can do what you want with it. Those platforms that are locked down with Android, as you put it, have the benefit of access to a software ecosystem Pandora simply doesn't, so it's pretty clear why they chose the OS. Beyond that I doubt that say, Archos or Hardkernel for instance, care what you do with the device.

It's kinda pissing me off reading this thread with people are saying "no competition" over and over, I listed a bunch of devices that is in the same realm of the pandora and it's goals.

They are in competition, and there are alternatives.

They may not be "as good in your opinion", but they may have their own individual benifits equal to or above that of the pandora, be it price point, available software, different functionality, etc etc. Like half of what I listed are open source, the other half are closed. The pandora is a solid choice, but it is not by far the obvious choice of what is available.

I stole this definition of fanboy from uraban dictionary, i think it fits well here

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase

"Object of affection = Best Ever"

However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it.

Troll the internet to spread the gospel.

Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it.

Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies.

"Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever!"

"Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!"

"Linux is the best OS ever!"

"Xbox is the best console ever!"

"Dragonball Z is the best show ever!"

The sad thing is, fanboys don't realize, that these companies that fuel their passion, don't really give a damn about us. To me, defending a multi-national corporation like their your own family, is ridiculous. These organizations don't come to your house and help you when you're sick, they don't help you move, or drive you to the airport. They don't support you in any way. It's a business, not a friendship. As soon as you can no longer buy their product, you disappear to them.

EDIT: I don't necessarily think the last couple sentences apply to the OP company, OP are definitely a stand up bunch of guys, on a personal level. They have more than shown their worth and dedication to the community.

It's kinda pissing me off reading this thread with people are saying "no competition" over and over, I listed a bunch of devices that is in the same realm of the pandora and it's goals.

They are in competition, and they are alternatives.

They may not be "as good in your opinion", but they may have their own individual benifits equal to or above that of the pandora, be it price point, available software, different functionality, etc etc. Like half of what I listed are open source, the other half are closed. The pandora is a solid choice, but it is not by far the obvious choice of what is available.

I stole this definition of fanboy from uraban dictionary, i think it fits well here

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase

"Object of affection = Best Ever"

However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it.

Troll the internet to spread the gospel.

Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it.

Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies.

"Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever!"

"Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!"

"Linux is the best OS ever!"

"Xbox is the best console ever!"

"Dragonball Z is the best show ever!"

The sad thing is, fanboys don't realize, that these companies that fuel their passion, don't really give a damn about us. To me, defending a multi-national corporation like their your own family, is ridiculous. These organizations don't come to your house and help you when you're sick, they don't help you move, or drive you to the airport. They don't support you in any way. It's a business, not a friendship. As soon as you can no longer buy their product, you disappear to them.
EDIT: I don't necessarily think the last couple sentences apply to the OP company, OP are definitely a stand up bunch of guys, on a personal level. They have more than shown their worth and dedication to the community.
I think everyone who is saying no competitor means the Pandora is a much better solution for them than any of the devices you listed. Those might work for some people, they're fun to have, but the Pandora is a computer with gaming controls. So for me there are no competitors, if that fits me in the definition of 'fanyboy' the way the uraban dictionary defines it then that is your opinion.

EDIT: Also, the OP team is not a huge milti-national corporation and they do support us by making the Pandora open and supporting what the community wants.

Oops, didn't see your edit before I hit reply, had this tab open for a while. It also doesn't apply to Linux much in that respect either, I don't think the urban dictionary is proofread much.

Those might work for some people, they're fun to have, but the Pandora is a computer with gaming controls.
they're all computers with gaming controls lol. The pandora is the only one with a keyboard, and it's really powerful, but not the most powerful. Software wise, and gaming control wise, the pandora is not that special. It is the only one to have as many features though, but it also has the pricetag to go with it. It also is agreed the best choice, but NOT THE ONLY choice like people are making it out to be.

I've seen a port of linux on basically everything I listed. So you calling the pandora something that the rest of them are not, as if it was on it's own in that category in that respect... yea.. it is exactly why I'm kinda ticked off people are not even recognizingly those other options as being other options.

they're all computers with gaming controls lol. The pandora is the only one with a keyboard, and it's really powerful, but not the most powerful. Software wise, and gaming control wise, the pandora is not that special. It is the only one to have as many features though, but it also has the pricetag to go with it. It also is agreed the best choice, but NOT THE ONLY choice like people are making it out to be.

I've seen a port of linux on basically everything I listed. So you calling the pandora something that the rest of them are not, as if it was on it's own in that category in that respect... yea.. it is exactly why I'm kinda ticked off people are not even recognizingly those other options as being other options.
Like I said above for me it has no competitors. I can't remember what your list was but when I read it I thought of minuses it has against the Pandora. Also going through your list one by one and saying why they are not would not make my point as it is me I'm talking about, no one else.

Obviously not for you there are competitors. I agree that it has competitors if one of those other devices will meet all your needs but for me the Pandora is the best option and therefore it has no competitors that fit my needs.

I just took a little offense when you threw the 'fanboy' definition out there saying everyone who was saying no competitors was one.

Like I said above for me it has no competitors. I can't remember what your list was but when I read it I thought of minuses it has against the Pandora. Also going through your list one by one and saying why they are not would not make my point as it is me I'm talking about, no one else.

Obviously not for you there are competitors. I agree that it has competitors if one of those other devices will meet all your needs but for me the Pandora is the best option and therefore it has no competitors that fit my needs.

I just took a little offense when you threw the 'fanboy' definition out there saying everyone who was saying no competitors was one.
the definition that I copy and pasted I wanted to express was mainly these first 2-3 sentences. I feel they best represent my idea of what a fanboy really is.

"Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile."

you keep going around and around trying to get me to realize something I'm trying to specifically point out. I 100 billion percent understand you and everyone else that said no competition, see no other options, as in saying "no competition" that's what I was pointing out...

I understood what I said was going to hit REALLY close to home with alot of people on here, quite of few of us fall into this category, that's why I said it. To keep yourself tied to a product like this for as long as we've been, without anything to show for it, you kinda have to have no doubt in your head what-so-ever anything else even stands close regardless of what others might see as faults. Fanboy is a very colorful word, but call it whatever you want to make yourself sleep better at night, the truth of the matter remains the same.

I should take the advice of what I'm quoting and just stop now, because as it advices, arguments and debates with such people are futile. So I guess that's where we're at.

the definition that I copy and pasted I wanted to express was mainly these first 2-3 sentences. I feel they best represent my idea of what a fanboy really is.

"Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile."

you keep going around and around trying to get me to realize something I'm trying to specifically point out. I 100 billion percent understand you and everyone else that said no competition, see no other options, as in saying "no competition" that's what I was pointing out...

I understood what I said was going to hit REALLY close to home with alot of people on here, quite of few of us fall into this category, that's why I said it. To keep yourself tied to a product like this for as long as we've been, without anything to show for it, you kinda have to have no doubt in your head what-so-ever anything else even stands close regardless of what others might see as faults. Fanboy is a very colorful word, but call it whatever you want to make yourself sleep better at night, the truth of the matter remains the same.

I should take the advice of what I'm quoting and just stop now, because as it advices, arguments and debates with such people are futile. So I guess that's where we're at.
Why are we arguing about this? You're spending an awful lot of time to label us as fanboys. Even if we are why label people? Instead of labeling you should just point out what people are doing and how it is detrimental for whatever reason without the label. I wrote a bunch of stuff darkening things from your definition like you but what is the point?

johnsongrantr;

Most people here consider Pandora a completely different device than the gaming handhelds you've listed basis of its inclusion of a keyboard, and pretty rightfully so as it does impact a lot of how you can do things. The keyboard may be a minor or completely unimportant detail to some, but you can't just say this applies to everyone.. there has to be some basic agreement on what defines its device role or all arguments just break down. You'd may as well start saying that its touch screen, form factor, and inclusion of wifi are not role defining either. Or take it a step further and say that it doesn't matter that it has a screen and runs off a battery and extend its competition to home consoles. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Not only that, my neighbor has gotten one of the new faster than Pandora phones and guess what her big point was when showing it of to me? Not it's processing speed,. but the fact she could use it as a flashlight! The fact remains that no matter how much slower the Pandora comes in comparison to the latest "phone" or even beagleboard/Pandaboard device there is absolutely nothing that is directly comparable. I said this in another thread, The Pandora can do right now when it(hopefully soon) arrives in my hands, exactly what it could when it was designed, when I ordered and while I am waiting.

Since nothing superior has emerged and likely will not until the Pandora 2 is announced, it cannot in any way be considered outdated or a failure in any way. Just simple logic. Again, as in another thread, when the DS came out surely there were faster processors, did the DS die? NO, in fact it was the only system of it's kind and thrived. PSP cam along a slight bit later with much more power, yet as far as I can tell the DS had managed to keep the lead. So what is processing power? Is it really the end all to be all?

Seeing as how in another post about Pandora2 discussions, it would seem that even Exo had mentioned with a Dual Core Arm @ 1ghz not that much more beyond what is currently emulate-able would even be possible. (Sorry Exo if I misunderstood, I'm not clear headed at the moment) SO aside from minor software improvements the Pandora world would not really significantly change anyway (yeah a dual core Arm would make some things faster, duh) but not by so much that the current processor is a failure or unusable, by any stretch. I do find it interesting that Exo had a suggestion that could save OPT money for future Pandoras. Awesome to see we have the type of community that could even know something like that. I need a nap...I don't feel so...

Back