What are Pandora's competitors?

My bad!

Engadget brought it as if they only found out today. :rolleyes:
It might be something different but it looks like what Sony started a thread about. I just don't see Windows Mobile 7 having much of a life span, Microsoft has never been successful in the mobile market and now they're developing a new mobile OS so this one probably won't get the attention it needs. Also the OS is not open source so when this company and Microsoft start with something new you'll be left out in the cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be something different but it looks like what Sony started a thread about. I just don't see Windows Mobile 7 having much of a life span, Microsoft has never been successful in the mobile market and now they're developing a new mobile OS so this one probably won't get the attention it needs. Also the OS is not open source so when this company and Microsoft start with something new you'll be left out in the cold.

It's a windows 7 device, not Win mobile 7.

It's interesting to see how companies are struggling with form factors at the moment.

Seeing as I'm not burdened with any technical knowledge and knowledge of what's possible or not I think there might be something for a modular device.

Like having a base and you can decide to use it as all screen. But if you want to game you slide on a smaller screen and gaming controls on both sides.

Not the thread to extrapolate greatly on it but you get the idea. This way upgrading could also be cheaper as you only need to buy a new base if you're still happy with the screen, controls etc etc etc. And if you just want a sexier screen, you just get that.

Trying to compare the Pandora to existing phones or other game consoles is lunacy because there isn't feature parity: the Pandora has physical features that too many say are requirements that are simply missing from anything else that might exist to render them competitors.

This device, however, I would argue is a feature comparable competitor to the Pandora. They are both designed with a similar purpose: either to be a gaming handheld with a keyboard that can function as a full computer, or as a full computer complete with keyboard that also includes gaming features, depending on how each person intends to use theirs. Which one is actually better for doing this will yet remain to be seen, and in many cases also rely entirely on the end users preferences, but at least there are enough similarities between the two that I would accept that this is actually competitive to the Pandora.

Well, for me it was a Pandora or a BeagleBoard. The Pandora was a single unit, so I chose it.

There are no competitors.

Android phones/tablets? Need a Wii controller which limits you to ensuring you have both devices charged at the same time. Want to use the touch screen? Only jrpgs are do-able then as touch screen controls are horrible. I barely get a days charge out of my HTC and using my phone as my ipod has already resulted in my battery dying and having to use a payphone 2010 goddammit) on more than one occasion.

PSP/DS/ipod touch/Crap GPH sells - sure if you only care about emulation and games. In 2011 I want to be able to play emulated games, play Battle for wesnoth, browse the web, RDP my linux box, have acceptable playable controls for FPS like quake 3 (tilting or tapping the screen is unacceptable and whilst proof of concept makes it about as useful as occarina of time on the iphone)

IPad/Android tablets? ok Cut it, Angry birds and Plants vs zombies whilst amusing just seem far to simple for serious gamers. Cut it, I mastered on a friends IPad and the simpleness of it meant i sat there and got all 3 stars on everything...Play angry birds for more than 5 mins and you would've mastered the trajectory of the birds and plants vs zombies, whilst entertaining can be mastered in 20 minutes.

Small x86 netbooks? Forget it, weight is too big, crap controls and x86 cpu means battery life is crap and even then if you want to to game on it properly you'll need a pad. Hooking up a netbook and Pad on a train is a bit different to pulling a pandora out your pocket and smashing out some ff7 quickly.

If there were any other compettors I'd have gone for them.

I placed my order a mere few days ago as I believe the market is not heading in the direction I was hoping it would 1 or two years ago (no sign of PSP2, GPH rehashed the WIZ and made it fugly, DS's suck balls and what can I do on a tablet that I can't do on my phone? Given that they use exactly the same processors as the latest phones and whilst web browsing is impressive on an ipad...it's almost as good on my HTC...and the HTC fits in my pocket.)

Wow, you really have to be addicted to WOW to get this. I'm sure there are quite a few people though. I have not been bitten by the WOW bug and refuse to so I'll pass.

5373.jpg

*cough cough*

I guess by 'concept' I meant that it will likely not be released anytime in the near future. I believe Engadget said something about a 2012 release date, which could mean anything by then.

Blue Protoman - you have an impressively large fist.

Back